View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Interesting and Enjoyable Characters ? 

Post Interesting and Enjoyable Characters ?
Not sure if this is where this topic goes, but guess it can all ways be moved if its in the wrong place. I've been wondering what makes a character interesting ? Especially when it comes to this type of role playing genre. What makes a monster interesting ? What makes a student interesting ? How do you make a character enjoyable to rp with. I'm obvious still new to this type of role play, but since I've started I have tried to create characters that people enjoy role playing with. This includes both student and monster alike. I'm just curious on what other people think makes an interesting and enjoyable student, or monster character.

Story Index: Yoko's encounters

Wed May 12, 2010 3:13 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Interesting and Enjoyable Characters ?
My take on it is - it's not what unique features, abilities or disabilities in the character that ultimately makes it interesting. It's quite simply that the player's roleplay can make you feel

Suspend disbelief

Feel involved

Experience the sensations

Picture what is happening

It's not always the clever characterisations that work best, it's the ability to suck you in to an event which is happening purely as words on a computer screen.

Wed May 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Location: Either flying through the sky or in the Thousand Blossom Garden.
Post Re: Interesting and Enjoyable Characters ?
To me it's a mixture of the character itself and the ease of which I can picture that character, and the writing style and capabilities of the person behind it. The language they use, and just how well they can describe something with words. Sensations in particular can be difficult to describe at times without having something to compare it to. The more information they can provide into what their character feels, and does, the more interesting and enjoyable they are to roleplay.

I can't really comment on what makes a monster interesting as my experiance with them is very limited (a couple of IRC encouters as Leriana and that's it.) But for students I enjoy playing with anyone who reacts in believable ways to your actions, and even manages to find ways to help guide the scene in question despite the fact once sex starts the Monster generally has free reign to do what they want and the student is just along for the ride (quite literally).

I also like it when I can actually understand their character. When reading someone's bio I can get a very rough idea how they will react to certain situations and influences. I like to have a vauge idea of the lines I want something to go along before starting, and having a detailed bio gives me that. It lets me pick my approach and tailor it to match a certain individual, either the character itself or the player behind the character.

In short ... The choice of language used, the detail their posts go into when they can (I hold that there are some times you can't really put much detail) and the amonut of information I have about a character.

For those in space Yautja is on the prowl for new trophies

For a list of my chars go to here

Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]