View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Length 

Post Length
So I've read the thread on writing good erotic literature, but somethign has come to my attention that I'd like to ask about. and that thing is what length has to do with how good a scene is.

For example, long scenes can fit a lot of interesting events by virtue of them being long, as well as generally being more descriptive. However, some of Ragerath's scenes are very short, however, they are also quite brutal and to the point. I've enjoyed reading a few of them. And long posts can sometimes degenerate into reworking the same phrases in diferent orders, strainign for something new.

My question is which of these approaches generally makes for a more erotic, exciting scene, or if neither, how to maintain the correct balance between them.

Send a PM anytime you feel like an RP with Natsuki. She's not shy!

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:44 pm
Profile YIM

This really has to do with the players' individual preferences. And it can change over the course of a scene.

If you write too much, you risk controlling the actions of the other character...and that can really annoy people. What I mean is, there's only so much you can write your character doing before the other player says "Hey, my character would have done something while you were doing that!". Also, if what you write is really long, people may be disinclined to read it...

On the other hand, if you write posts that are too short, the other player may become annoyed that you're not putting enough effort into it! They may feel like they're doing all the work and you're just being lazy.

So you see, it's a balance. ;)

If you're wondering about number of posts...Well, that has to do with the scenario. Some roleplays will come to an obvious conclusion. Some others you just go on for a while until someone says "Okay, this is getting repetitive so my character passes out". Really, it just depends on what you want out of the roleplay...

Dendrite, irresistibly helpful tentacled alien! Message me to move your completed threads.

"You've got to be able to fuck when they can't."
--Jason Carter

As seen on Something Awful!

Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:57 pm

I agree, I myself like a rather well filled post, like in the shower scene I made in the common room, it took me a few sentences just to undress my character =P

usually, I adjust to my partner, if they post short, I try to be short and descriptive, (though sometimes I tend to sneak a long one in).

Take your pick:
Monster / Bunny Alien

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:55 pm
Profile YIM

I like reading literature that has long descriptive scenes, but personally I find it hard to think of a lot of stuff to say...

Case in point! =^_^=

I love being cute!

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile YIM

The longer my RP's are, the more I notice that I'm simply re-using patterns unless I go out of my way to do otherwise.

I do like a good, long RP, and I am kinda irritated by short posts (especially my own), but if it's not your first or last post in the story, or describing something specifically, I'd recommend under three paragraphs.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:01 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]