View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Aphrodisics, Drugs, and Mind Control Oh My! 

Post Aphrodisics, Drugs, and Mind Control Oh My!
It's been awhile since anything has been discussed so lets see what I can come up with.

As the title above suggests, I would like to discuss (or perhaps just type a long rant about) some abilities that some tend to be rather wary about. In my time here, there are a number of monsters that use aphrodisics or other special poisons and drugs to get certain results as well as a few rare ones that attempt things like mental suggestions and mind control. This in turn has produced some students that have a unique ability of being immune to aphrodisics and so forth.

I think I will start with the mental mind controlling and such first as anything about that topic can be applied to the usage of aphrodisics. Also one member of the forum mentioned some shock that there were no other students who attempted such things despite there being a variety of magic types that come and go from this forum. So instead of flooding her profile topic with information that most will ignore cept those who have conversations over them (XD), lets just make a topic.

First, lets deal with the question of why no other students have tried it. This mainly has to do with the rules set on the setting and the general theme Shokushu wishes to keep. When I was considering joining the boards (after finding the writing exceptional and not just MMO cybering), I read the rules and found they are pretty restricting if one was to follow them to the letter. But I saw there were some students who did push the boundaries of magic so I ended up making Kanoe anyway (though with a disclaimer to not give the mods a headache). The general theme was very clear, monsters vs students with monsters always the victor. There weren't really any student on student conflicts at all on the boards and a large amount of instantly falling in love sex romps in the student's section. So having a power over other students wasn't really that useful and perhaps the only means of doing hypnosis back then would be to recreate the story that is on the Shokushu site. You know, the one with the girl in a trance and you taking advantage of her.

But what about monsters? We do have a small number of monsters that use mental attacks to form their own mind fuck scenarios before proceeding to fuck them in reality (possibly even during the mind session). Just like aphrodisics though, student partners can be wary about this and for some what justifiable reasons. Both tools can lead to god modding which makes for a really boring roleplaying session and can severely limit the writing of your partner. For those who do not know what god modding is, here is an example...

Example 1
~~Member1: Terra sits down and reads a book in the library.

~~Member2: Celes notices that a student is a reading a book. She waits in the aisle and as the woman gets up to put the book away, wraps her arms around her and kisses her deeply. Celes slips a finger under Terra's skirt and notices how wet she is.

Generally this problem is more noticable in action and combat scenes but hopefully you see the issue with Member2's post. Member2's post is forcing Member1's character to do actions such as putting away the book (assuming the book was even from the library) as well as claiming she was wet from a single kiss. As this example shows, this can be a problem even without aphrodisics. I noticed it happened with a few rps where the monster takes its free actions to get what he wants. In a way, its accepted simply cause students are supposed to be helpless. But in the end its bad roleplaying as it severely limits what the other person can write about. If you state their reactions for them, that just cuts into their own imagination.

So on that note, we have mind control which is something that is designed to control another entity in a story. Really, I cannot dispel all the worries but I can give advice on ways to limit and make the encounters more enjoyable. Granted these are my opinions based on observation and experience so take it how you will.

1. Do not be a puppet master.
This is pretty self explanatory. As I said before, do not god mod. Instead of saying 'Terra gets up to go outside' for her, state something along the lines of implanting an image or idea in Terra's head about going outside. This can be something like, thinking she forgot something back in class that she needs to get her work done or something vague like wanting to get some fresh air. Naturally, if the monster can read thoughts or actually does research (reading her profile or asking over pms), the monster would try to make the thought as natural as possible.

2. If you have to be a puppet master, do it sparingly.
Ok, some monsters do have the ability to directly control another's body. This can create an interesting response from a student so I can't just flat out say don't do it. Anyone who has taken a few writing classes would know that even decent authors do not follow all the rules. But if you break a rule, you better make it good XD. So anywho, my only advice here is to not make the entire thread about it. Also including descriptions about what you are doing and the effects is always good which leads me to...

3. Descriptions make the world go round.
Content and description are what make roleplaying interesting (plot too of course). This is especially true in a setting that is just about sex. I believe I mentioned this in my rant about magic and using it responsibly but, always describe the action and let the partner decide the results. It is the same for mind control and aphrodisics. If in my example about injecting ideas into Terra's head, Terra was someone who hated to go outside or had a phobia, then the person writing as Terra has every right to state how and why she resists the suggestion. This can be done by some mental rationalizing it. The key part about this is to WRITE IT IN THE POST. Don't assume the readers know the details. This not only makes things clear, it gives you more to write about. I personally hate writing short posts so I try to find as much to write about as possible. Some may call this fluff but, I would like to remind you this is a hentai sex forum. Fluff is what its all about. We didn't come here for boring methods of sex.
For things like hypnosis or mental suggestions, try to be somewhat descriptive though there is no need for a huge paragraphs of dialogue. The key is to let the partner decide how their character accomplishes the suggestions (with partner's consent).

4. Do not use it as a quick win.
Now this can be said about any monster encounter. There is always those who immediately bind a student spread eagle on post two of the thread and proceed with the fucking with no build up (sometimes without even stating where they were when they performed the task). So on the subject of mind control and aphrodisics, don't just use it and make them strip down naked and bend over a desk. This quickly becomes a plot device that holds no real meaning and is essentially very lazy writing. This makes a potentially unique encounter into just another cheap fuck (something Bioware has been injecting into their RPGs minus the fucking). Now I understand some people come to these forums just to skip to the action and I would like to request those people be very upfront about it cause some of us like a nice story with some build up to help develop their characters.

Now I am running out of steam as I write this on my free time and the advice I stated above can be applied to aphrodisics as well as any super powered monster out there. Just be sure to describe the effects and let the partner write about how she deals with it. Aphrodisics are not a instant win no matter how horny one gets XD.

What I hope this rant does is help those who wish to try unique things continue to make them unique and interesting for their partners. This will in turn make those who are completely against these other methods be more open in the future. I understand people have their tastes but I just want to state that such things in themself are not evil, just those who are too lazy to write about it properly and waste such an opportunity.

Thanks for reading. *falls over* X.X

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:52 am

Post Re: Aphrodisics, Drugs, and Mind Control Oh My!
You raise some valid points. Personally, I do not mind mind control and aphrodisiacs at all. When used right, they can lead to some very interesting situations. However, I think one of the capital rules (if not the capital rule) in most kinds of roleplaying is that players control their own characters.

I think you said it best. Describe what you try to do to the victim, then the victim describes what the victim does as a result of this.

Think 'plot device', not 'insta kill'.

The Shokushu Pixies

Striktor, undead pirate.

Astrid, red scarf of the Tramps.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 am
Profile YIM

To put in my own two cents... The reason I could go along with roscoso's hypnotic mind control premise, /other/ than just liking the idea? Was because I have the chance to play out the results on the psychological level, which can become highly entertaining - even if the controlling player just mentions something about rising desires or something of that sort, I like being able to then dredge up literal years of character development and having it smack my PC in her face. :3

Of course, as the third clause (...I almost talk more in clauses than sentences. >_> ) suggested, I do just plain like mind-related stuff. This means there is a level of fetish-related consent. Now, some players get around this with immunity to aphrodesiacs and the like (a 'hard' counter', though sometimes it also is for making things more amusing), but it /is/ still a preference thing regardless. That, and this is important in every every sexual-RP community ever?

There's got to be respect and awesome. Lack either and it doesn't matter /what/ strange stuff that might lead to bad writing goes on - there'll just be bad writing.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 pm

I like mind control stuffs as well ^.^. But some of the monsters that have it tend to be reluctant to use it in any sort of way. And of course it is all about having fun *nods nods*.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm

This was why I was a little um nervous about making Marianna, I figured it wouldn't work well having a Hypnosis using student rather then monsters who can use magic tricks and mind control stuff.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 pm
Profile YIM

I salute to Kanoe for saying what I (and perhaps a few others) thought of by now, yet I have to agree that I don't mind the 'sometimes' abused advantage of having the mind control trait. Then again having most or even all of my character's moves set by someone else during some of these stages is fairly annoying, a bother, to be honest. What really is left for you if your partner controls every chess piece on the board including yours?

Usually I'm not someone to voice my opinion that much, but if I would see someone that uses mind control and wanted to start a roleplay with him/her, I'd make sure that the person knows right away he/she isn't supposed to be 'God'. If that person doesn't understand / not agree, then .. oh well. Balls to it.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Well I would still be careful about it especially as a student. You could attract the staff to do something about her hypnotic ways if she attempts to use it on the wrong people XD.

If your ability becomes like a monster, that can be seen as an issue. But the board has been opening up a bit with more student antagonists like the Prefects and Head Girls as well as students who are more selfish rather than just seeking love.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Don't worry Marianna won't become some danger to everyone, at most she'll only hypnotise people she likes, to her she only likes to show her skills to friends or girls she likes.

And luckily I'm not much of a godmodder, I let my partner choose how they're character reacts to hypnotic commands and such.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile YIM

Location: Either flying through the sky or in the Thousand Blossom Garden.
Very interesting read ... and definitely a central topic considering the forums in question and the main draw of them. And especially relevant to me since I play the Midrozi (who use Mind Control like crazy) and Seraph (who is designed that just being near him is an aphrodisiac).

This isn't really related to mind control, but I have found that as a monster there are certain situations where you do have control over what a student does in the interest in moving the scene along. I personally feel that scenes would slow down to a crawl in pacing if a monster ignored what seems physically logical. As an example if Seraph (for the purpose of examples I'll use Seraph as a generic monster and Leriana as a generic student) tried to grab at Leriana with his tentacles she would have a chance to dodge/avoid/scream/whatever. But if the player accepts that the tentacles grab Leriana, than from that point on Seraph would be able to move her around freely, regardless of her attempts to resist. Leriana is physically incapable of preventing Seraph from moving her around like a toy <or using her as one ;) >

That said, the subject of mind control and manipulation is a difficult one to approach. In the above example Seraph has complete control physically of Leriana ... but Leriana's mind is her own, and the control of her player. That distinction is a vital one, and if Leriana gets reduced to a parrot in a human form than the scene may as well not happen. If one party wants to have complete control over the reactions, movements, and thoughts of both Seraph and Leriana than they should go write a full blown story, rather than do a forum scene.

Even when you factor in mind control, aphrodisiacs, drugs, and whatever else you can come up with, a character’s mind is the sole domain of the player. You can describe the expected effects, go into elaborate detail of what you expect something to do. But you cannot simply assume that because Seraph is some big overpowering monster of student ravishing that his words instantly become Leriana’s thoughts and mind. Good players will understand what you are trying to do, and if you put enough detail into explaining what you are trying to do, and how you go about it, you’ll find that others will go along with it because it makes sense to do so to them. If you can convince the player of a character that a particular course of action makes sense, than no doubt Seraph would of done the same to Leriana.

As for detail in posts … I can understand that post length is not the only indicator of detail in a post. Sometimes a 1 paragraph post is just as useful and relevant as a 4 paragraph post. Sometimes a scene needs short posts, because you are in the middle of a conversation, or at a point where you need constantly supplied input from both characters involved to continue. But what you do need to provide in a post, no matter how short or long, is something for whoever is posting in response to work with and react to. The more detail you provide, the more they have to choose from. And more often than not, the more detail you provide your sceneing partner to work with, the more they provide in their posts for you to respond to. I often find myself aiming to match the size of my partner’s posts, or at least averaging about the same.

One last warning about detail: I’ve had a number of scenes (both on the Shokushu Forum and IRC) that I have dropped because I didn’t feel like the time I was spending on writing up a post was being returned. When I do a paragraph or two (or more) crafting a post, giving my partner a number of things they could react to in order, only to get a one line response reacting just to the last thing I did. If someone’s post involves them just moaning in pleasure, with no thoughts, or detail, than I tend to find my interest in posting in that thread fading at a rapid rate. Plus the more detail both players go into, the higher the chance that either of you will come up with some brilliant idea to progress the scene/story that makes sceneing with someone else far more interesting than just writing your own erotica.

TLDR: Physical control does not mean mental control. The more detail you provide, the more enjoyable it is for your partner, and the more likely they are to go along with what you have in mind. Give your partner at least one thing to react to in your post, even if it’s just Leriana’s body reacting and her will to resist slowly fading as Seraph rapes her.

TLDTTLDR: Description of effects = Good
Instructing others how their characters think = Bad

Just my two cents.

For those in space Yautja is on the prowl for new trophies

For a list of my chars go to here

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I tend to think

a) Mind control and hypnosis can be used as a sort of cheat to achieve the goal of fucking the student without any effort. 'Bigwang looks deep into the eyes of Bouncytits and puts her under his control' takes away the whole process of rape really since the student becomes compliant and at least for the duration is not attempting to fight. This is effectively changing the scene from ravaging to consensual cybering. It also removes any potential for drama as a form of foreplay.

b) Godmoding is frowned upon in roleplay and rightly so. But only ever *attempting* each phase of the event doesn't work so well on a board as it does in live roleplay.

On IRC it can easily flow with fast responses and shorter posts so:
MrNasty attempts to grab her blouse and rip it open to get at her tits
MsNice screams as her blouse is shredded and her big bouncy melons are exposed in their purple spotted bra
MrNasty blinks with momentary fashion-police overload before considering the milky soft bits behind the hideous garment, trying to hold her with one hand while hooking his fingers between her melons in an attempt to yank the offending garment aside

etc etc

Now in a message board environment, that sequence of posts could end up taking a couple of days to achieve and the whole scene could run for months if every action has to be attempted on both sides. So rather than having a long sequence of small drawn-out posts, it would seem appropriate to assume the success of certain actions without stepping into presuming reactions as well, so

Mr Nasty leers at the girl whose wrist he has a firm grip on and his other paw snakes out to grab the well-filled blouse by the collar, yanking on it with his sharp claws and shredding the flimsy material blurb blurb blurb

would assume the success of a limited action or short sequence of actions without pushing the story too far forwards and without assuming the responses of the victim to having her tits exposed.

Common sense really.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Common sense is generally what it all needs. I definitely don't want one action per turn (unless its one heck of an action XD). There is always chat and MMOs for such things. Having done both chat and MMO chat, I personally find that forums allow more than enough to allow a decent story assuming both parties are willing to type more than two lines a post. But, it is more than possible to take multiple actions without jamming those actions down your partner's throat. Naturally, it will require concessions on both sides to make certain things work but thats what its all about anyway.

Now when I talk about detail, I generally do not mean describing that vase in the corner for three paragraphs then having your character perform one action that progresses nothing. This becomes rather important in those situations when the prey has been caught and the real fun begins. If a many tentacle monster is simply using a tentacle per turn to stimulate one part of the body at time, I would probably pm that monster and ask him to please do more things at a time (now if the monster is being intentionally teasing, i expect those single actions to describe the teasing motions and perhaps its intentions or something). Being the helpless student, you generally can write about futile struggling, some dialogue, and of course describing what is being felt at the time. So how much is put in by the monster directly effects how much the partner has to write about. Of course one can always add more content to a point but eventually if someone is putting in two paragraphs while the partner is doing one liners, one side is going to burn out and lose interest in the end.

There are generally things that you can safely consider your partner to do. If two students are walking down a hall, there is no need to check to ensure that student is still walking beside her (unless that student is obsessive compulsive in some way). The same could be said about other things as long as it does not force the other character to do something unnatural.

Mind control as a short cut is always a concern. God modding is a short cut as well which is why i compare the two. You are literally forcing the other player into the position you want and taking control from there. This is where detail is important. The erotic thing about hypnosis is not just the fact you have total control or that your partner has lost control but the process itself. I personally prefer a more gradual effect though that can be a bit tough to do over forum chat and not just a regular story. So instead of looking in Bouncytits eyes and instantly gaining control, declare the action of looking into the woman's eyes then explain the intention and perhaps describe the process. That will give your partner something to write about as well as attempt to struggle under the gaze.

Describing mental things like that can be difficult. But there are various fan fics and other things out there that describe the process and effects for both parties. The manga Lost+Brain is very detailed about hypnosis and is done by normal humans (well normal by manga standards).

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:00 pm

*groans* I am most definitely prone to fall into the too slow-action by action trap myself :oops: I guess there is a golden middle road there, somewhere :lol:

Back to the topic of drugs, aphrodisiacs and mind control, I think they can also be good storytelling devices, especially for those who are creative about them. One good example of this is a lab thread I had with Nightbringer, where he had Pia injected with (I think) three different drugs: One heightened her general sensitivity and tactile response, one increased her physical endurance manifold, and one hampered her ability to orgasm. I suppose injecting a general aphrodisiac would have gotten things going well enough, but having to deal with different effects manifesting at different times gave me lots to play with, even though Pia was physically restrained and not mentally in control for most of the time.

The Shokushu Pixies

Striktor, undead pirate.

Astrid, red scarf of the Tramps.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm
Profile YIM

Hehe it happens to everyone. I mean I get stuck and have to apologize for a short uneventful post at times.

And by no means is any of this set in stone from a writing perspective. If things were so cut and dry of how to do things, there would be no need for a discussion section. This is merely a viewpoint from my experience that I am sharing so take what you can from that.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm
Site Admin

These are all general observations of course and in most cases just having a chat with your partner about how they want a scene to move, in a general sense, will ensure you're both enjoying it. Which is the real objective anyway, not to follow some guidelines that don't suit you.

The danger is when you assume that blindly following the same pattern will work with everyone and learning to listen, both literally and figuratively, will always make for better roleplay.

('you' being generic not anyone specific)

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Wahhhhhh! I'm generic! XD

Of course every partner is different, its what makes roleplaying enjoyable. The last thing I want though is something to go wrong and then an entire method be considered taboo when it does not have to be. I am sure people will adapt with their partners when new things are attempted *nods nods*.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next