View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What planet is Shokushu Campus on? 

Post What planet is Shokushu Campus on?
Well here my first topic here that I’m sure I am not the only one to wonder where we are, my understanding is we are no where near the Vanejin system, but much closer to the Sol system then we have ever thought. So anyone like to take a guess where we might be from what I figure the planet is much like earth except it has two moons but since the extinct Volcano blocks the view to one of the moon that student are unaware of, the sun is most likely a yellow dwarf start like the one in Sol system, anyone have clues about this?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Post Re: What planet is Shokushu Campus on?
It's a highly classified world. Pretty much nothing is known publically about it.

Now on Discord, flarecobra#8525

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:19 am
Profile WWW

Yes I know this but since this is out of character it helps to have this discussion, to at least figure out a few things.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 am

Well, to be honest, we never really came up with that sorta stuff to my knowledge...

And coming from someone that's been here for over 8 years... well...

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It's not something that has been asked before but an interesting question.

With its proximity to the ADD then it has to be within a reasonable distance from Earth. Relatively, of course, given the wonders of space flight ;)

So not in the Sol system of course nor within range of earth-based astronomers who may detect activity. Not close to Vanejin; those worlds wouldn't have been useful to pirates if they were anywhere near the ADD.

Given the ability of the ADD to respond to such things as last years 'alien orgy' at the Gala, it would be reasonable to place them in the same star system.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 pm

I imagine the ADD does have a station, probably matching Shokushu's orbit, at the L4/5 Lagrangian points. Perhaps one at both, considering the need for a blockade and the logistical challange of such a blockade. Plus in the event that the shuttle that ferries students to/from SHS has an emergancy...

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
I imagine the ADD does have a station, probably matching Shokushu's orbit, at the L4/5 Lagrangian points.

Umm care to explain that Madison? Not all of us are versed in ‘Astromitology’ lingo, and I’m sure that’s a made up word lol.

Calidare Art Gallery

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Lagrange points are points of stable gravity created by the interaction of a planet and its satellite. The Earth-moon system has five Lagrange points which serve as points where a colony or space station can be placed. The L4 and L5 points are 60 degrees either side of the moon, and are the most stable points. To put it simply a Lagrange point is a pocket of stable gravity where and object doesn't have a degrading orbit. Considering Shokushu has two moons It be difficult to figure out where that point in space is depending on what moon you used. Fortunately only one of these moons are visible from the school do to the mountains that surround the campus.

Story Index: Yoko's encounters

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 am

Thank you Ike that make alot more sense. :)

Calidare Art Gallery

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

WARNING! SCIENCE CONTENT AHEAD!

Actually, it's not just between a planet and moon. It can be any orbiting body and it's host body, such as a star and it's planet. Here, let me pull up a map.

This is a contour map involving gravity wells. An easy way to explain Lagrange points is to think of hills. At the L4/5 points, it's fairly flat so they would be extremely stable. Also, the number of moons does not matter. Hell, as you can see here, in Jupitor's orbit, there are the Greek and Trojan Astroids.. And a planet doesn't have to be big to have these things in their orbits. In Earth orbit, there's clouds of intersteller dust, and at least one astroid on the Earth/Sol L4/5 points.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm
Profile WWW

So would you say the planet is about 1.5 LY from Sol System?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 am

Oh no, much, much farther out. Especally since the nearest star outside our solar system is 4.3 light years away.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

Well since I didn’t get any answered from my questions this what I came up with hehe. The system that Shokushu in is, Epsilon Eridani System which is 10.52 light-years from the Sol System here the picture I’ve found where I edited to include a planet on the inner asteroid belt.

Attachments:
File comment: This planet is not confirmed, as of yet in reality.
Epsilon Eridani System.jpg
Epsilon Eridani System.jpg [ 195.37 KiB | Viewed 13192 times ]

Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

That's because we never established what planet it's on.

It's left ambigious for a reason.

Anyway, talked it over with Stormbringer... and while you can make said claim... we're going to take the stance of "Shokushu isn't in a named system for security reasons."

Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

As a student there would not even be the knowledge it was not on Earth.

Besides, once you nail down the edges of fantasy worlds too much, you restrict the imaginations of everyone else.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next