View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Cultural Exchange (Ishtar Rocha) 

Post Cultural Exchange (Ishtar Rocha)
Introduction to British Literature was normally a sad time for Bala. The teacher had paired off all the students into study partners so the students could help each other learn. But Bala had joined the class late so she had no partner. Bala wanted to join a pair but the teacher said "trouble always comes in threes" and would not allow it. But this morning, Bala was exited and happy. A new girl was joining the class. And who would she be partnered with? Bala, that's who.

Bala primped & preened as she looked to the classroom door. She cleaned the spotless desk and straightened the books and papers. Perhaps her new partner would be British. That would be a wonderful coincidence! The rumour was that she was born outside the States.

The class was studying the works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning today and Bala had chosen a poem to go over with the new girl.

EXAGGERATION

WE overstate the ills of life, and take
Imagination (given us to bring down
The choirs of singing angels overshone
By God's clear glory) down our earth to rake
The dismal snows instead, flake following flake,
To cover all the corn; we walk upon
The shadow of hills across a level thrown,
And pant like climbers: near the alder brake
We sigh so loud, the nightingale within
Refuses to sing loud, as else she would.
O brothers, let us leave the shame and sin
Of taking vainly, in a plaintive mood,
The holy name of GRIEF !--holy herein
That by the grief of ONE came all our good.

Bala could hardly wait as she looked at the door again.

Bala - Hindi Girl (Student) ; Hitomi - Basement Queen (Student) ; Anagopt - Web Star (Student) ; Quagga - Zebra Girl (SFA) ; Keefa - (Gladiatrix) ; Gambo - Zombie (Monster) ; Fluffy - Pirate!! (SFA)

Author of the 1500th post in the original ~Corrupt a Wish~ thread in Trivial Pursuits. (1899 posts)
Author of the 1500th post in the second The Banned Game! thread in Trivial Pursuits.
=========+=====

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:22 am

Post Re: Cultural Exchange (Ishtar Rocha)
The door opens a little just to let a young girl to stick her head in the door. Unfortunately for her the doors creak let everybody know she was there. Now I've gone and disturbed the class. I will have to make amends.

The door was opened to reveal a young girl who looked a little lost. She had Sky Blue hair that went down to waist. Her ears were a bit smaller than average. She bowed deeply towards the teacher. I am sorry I am late, ma'am. I got lost trying to get to class.

The teacher seemed to be understanding. "Well I cannot expect a new student to know her way around the school. Just don't let it happen again. Now come up to the front of the class so I can properly introduce you."

As she made her way up to the front of the class, she noticed that all the students had been paired off except one. The lone student had dark skin and black hair that was knotted into a long pony tail. If I had to guess her hair is at least as long as mine if not longer.

"Class," the teacher. "This is Ishtar Rocha. She has just recently transferred from an international school in Japan. Please make her feel welcome here."

Ishtar bowed again deeply towards the class. It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I will endevor to do my best.

"Now we are running a bit late, so Ishtar you will need to take seat. You will be partnered with Bala. Bala will make sure you get up to speed on the poem you are studying."

Thank you, ma'am. With a not as deep bow to the teacher, Ishtar made her way to the lone student. It was obvious that she was the student that she was to be paired with.

One more time, Ishtar bowed but only slightly this time. Hello, I am Ishtar Rocha. It is a pleasure to meet you, Bala. Thank you for helping me catch up with today's lesson.

I love to RP!! Please PM me, if you are interested!

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:56 am

With a creak of the door, the new student announced her presence. She was a very pretty girl. (Bala had begun to wonder why there weren't any "Ugly Betties" in the school.) She looked to be half a foot taller than Bala, not that that was unusual. And she had beautiful, long, blue hair. And so very polite too. Bala could tell that the two of them would get along nicely.

Bala stood and greeted Ishtar with a broad smile. She put her hands together in an anjali mudra. She bowed her head only, maintaining eye contact with Ishtar. "Namaste", she said. She followed that quickly with, "very pleased to meet you, Ishtar. That's a pretty name. Is it Persian in origin?"

Before Ishtar could answer, Bala indicated the seat next to hers. "I'm sorry. Please have a seat. I can't wait to get started." Bala still had her big smile as she waited for her new study partner to sit down.

Bala - Hindi Girl (Student) ; Hitomi - Basement Queen (Student) ; Anagopt - Web Star (Student) ; Quagga - Zebra Girl (SFA) ; Keefa - (Gladiatrix) ; Gambo - Zombie (Monster) ; Fluffy - Pirate!! (SFA)

Author of the 1500th post in the original ~Corrupt a Wish~ thread in Trivial Pursuits. (1899 posts)
Author of the 1500th post in the second The Banned Game! thread in Trivial Pursuits.
=========+=====

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:42 am

Ishtar smiled as Bala greeted her. What an interesting way to greet someone. She should could tell her new study partner would a great person to work with.

Ishtar sat down at the empty desk that had already been pushed next to Bala's. I believe it is Persian. My parents chose it because they like the name and it would be unique. May I say I like your name as well, Bala.

Ishtar began pulling her notebook and pen in preparation for the work ahead. I guess we should get started on our assignment then.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 am

"Thank you, Ishtar. That's so kind", Bala said, still smiling. "My parents came from northern India. It means 'Damsel' in Hindi." Bala's face took on an odd expression, as though she were contemplating saying something. It returned to normal as she seemed to have decided. "'Bala' is actually alot like the name 'Pat' is in English. It can be used for either a boy or a girl. When it's a boy's name, it means 'young child'."

Bala looks at her notes for the class. "We're covering Elizabeth Barrett Browning today. I picked one of her poems, 'Exaggeration', to go over. If you'd rather go over one of her other poems, I have them right here." She points to a small book with her selected poem on one of the pages.

=========+=====

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 am

Ishtar smiled, So it means damsel in the case of a girl. It was appropriate name for such a pretty damsel.No let's start with the one you selected. Is that your favorite of her works or did you choose it for another reason? Her partner was certain prepared. Ishtar considered herself lucky to have been paired up with her.

She quickly glanced through the poem. It is certain an interesting poem. So deep in its imagery but yet it message is that it a problem is never as bad as it appears.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 am

"Yes. And it's nice that they pronounce it right. It gets mispronounced alot. And that causes problems." As she said that, Bala absently reached under the top button of her shirt and fingered her necklace.

"But back to the matter at hand", she says with a smile. "I chose this particular poem for a few reasons. While one can dig under the surface and ferret a deeper meaning, its meaning is fairly clear. It's your first day and I didn't want to swamp you with one of her head-scratchers.

=========+=====

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:02 am

Ah, Thank you, much! Ishtar smiled, as she realized how nice her partner was. It has been a rough morning. I spend most of time trying to find this class. I'm still trying to find my way around here.

Ishtar wrote in her notebook a note about how to pronouce Bala. She didn't wanted to create any faux pas with her new partner. So its a fairly straight forward poem, huh? So, what do you think about it?

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 am

"Yes. This place can be confusing at first. It's like they don't want to give us a chance to settle in before we get started with our classes. You'd think they would give us a day at least to find our way around. Oh well. They've been doing this for years. I guess they know what they're doing." Bala paused, reflecting on her first day here. How she struggled to find her room. How she barely had time to unpack before she had to change into her uniform and run to class.

"To me, the poem seems to say that we exaggerate only the bad things that happen in life. And, like alot of her poems, gives credit to god and jesus for the good things in life. 'That by the grief of ONE came all our good.' Notice the word 'one' is in all upper case letters? That's a sure sign that she's referencing the divine."

=========+=====

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Ah so that is typical then. Ah that is good then, I was sure I had gotten late and lost on my own. That is weird that they do that. She smiled a bit.

Ishtar looked back over the poem. Ah so she was a fairly religous person, that would definately shows in her poem as you pointed out. I also view it that our life is never as bad as it seems, but then I am a bit of optimist at heart. She smiled again at her new partner.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:59 am

"Well, they've been doing this for years. And the alumnae from this school are quite prestigious. It seems to be a system that works well." Bala was quite enjoying the bouncing back and forth between topics. She normally just studied the writings for class. It was a nice change of pace to actually have something else to think about during class.

Looking back at the poem, she continued sharing ideas with this new girl. "I think most writers of the time were either religious or included references to the divine in their writing. Or maybe it was just the successful writers." Bala covered her mouth when she realised that she hadn't stopped smiling since Ishtar arrived. She tried to disguise the movement as if she were covering her mouth for a yawn. She wasn't sure she succeeded. "Maybe other writers didn't, never became popular, and we never heard of them."

=========+=====

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:09 am

Ah! That is true. I guess I didn't think about that. She rubs the back of her head with one of her hands. I guess I tend about now too much.

That is a good point too about the poem. Religion was a large motivator in the Victorian Period. I wonder if she had other inspirations. She thought about it. I bet learning a little about her life would provide some insight as well.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:13 am

"Well, all this books has is a paragraph long biography of her. To get more, we'll need to go to the library." Bala sat and pondered for a moment. "Too bad we can't go there during class."

"So, Japan eh? How did you like it there? I've never been there."

=========+=====

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Well, I can wait until after class to go to the Library. It's not too far away.

Ishtar thought about it when Bala asked about Japan. Well, I was born and raised in Japan, so I view as my home. I enjoy very much though I am biased. Although I am American, so will always bit of an outsider. If you ever get the chance, I would recommend going to Tokyo as it has alot to see and its very friendly to foreigners.

But I think if you get a chance, I would be happy to give you a tour. So where are you from?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 am

"Oh how exotic! So you're mostly the product of Japanese culture." Bala smiled at her new friend. While the teacher had said that Ishatar came from a Japanese school, Bala had no idea that she had been born and raised in Japan. "You have to tell me all about it."

Bala gave a mock frown when Ishatar asked where she had come from. "No place exotic. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We did visit relatives in India every year though", she added in an attempt to sound more exotic herself.

=========+=====

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next