View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Rat's Reversal 

Post Re: The Rat's Reversal
There was no real means of her to test if the woman was doing it correctly. But as Alice was not falling out of her chair again, things should be alright. "Good," the witch replied, "Now repeat this a few more times. Being able to do this at a reasonable pace can be of use when needing to perform larger spells at a moments notice." Usually she would ask what was seen to make sure the sight was real and not fabrication. Alice had already proven she could see mana just fine by her earlier outburst so this part of the lesson may get finished quickly.

Once satisfied that she could do this practice on her own time, Kanoe continued. "You mentioned about finding an affinity?" she asked, "Do explain what means you went through in finding this out and what that element is. Due to my own affinities, I may be limited on what I can teach you directly from experience but that does not stop me from assisting in what path you happen to take." The witch drank her tea as she considered what was mentioned before. Alice did learn two rather important things in a short time and without assistance. Perhaps this one was what one could call a natural. Or this one was getting aid from elsewhere as well.

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 am

"Ah yes, well, I seem to be able to exert control over electricity and, to some extent, air. My books says that these two are major components of light. So I guess I'm a light witch, ehehe. Opposites, aren't we?" Alice looked Kanoe in the eye, trying to detect some form of emotion. "If you like, I can show you both." Alice giggled, hopeful to get in Kanoe's figurative pants.

Alice's Journal: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7572

Hey there! My name's Ziggy Aurum, and I'm the New York Rave Queen! Just ask if you wanna hang out, I'm not shy! http://shokushu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7589

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:31 am

"That depends on what you are reading or who is teaching you," she witch replied, "Some claim lighting is its own element while other teachings claim it is a mixture of fire and air. That all depends if you go based of eastern elements or not. As for being components of light, I find it hard to believe. I am certain you are aware of the law of opposites or at least for the traditional elements? Fire versus water, air versus earth, and light versus darkness. To claim that Electricity and air make light would be much like claiming that Earth is made of fire and one other component. I cannot say its fire and water because they cancel each other out much like air and earth do so. I cannot say what your book is trying to explain but I believe a more appropriate title would be lightning witch or perhaps an electric one."

It could very well be just a different sort of teaching. Magic had several paths and methods. But with what Kanoe knew about the elements, light and darkness were their own elements. Positive and negative energy with one being associated with angels and the other with demons and the underworld. The witch was not annoyed by this and remained as calm as ever. But it did concern her that this book was teaching her things that seemed flawed in her own view. "You claim to know only one spell but now you already know spells involving air and lightning?" she asked, a bit shocked at this ones ability to learn new things in a relatively short time.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 am

"Ah, my book was written ages ago. It's been in my family for a very long time, and it's been passed down to each daughter of the family. Most of what I'm reading is stuff my great-great-grandmother either decided or discovered. As far as the spells go, I don't actually know any. I can manipulate my mana, and use it to manipulate other things. I could use my electrical control to turn off your lamps, for example. I've done a lot more involving the electric half of my abilities than the air half, but I do know that I can create a current, and I've got some ideas on how to use that." Alice continued rambling, trying to figure out what she was wanting to say, but the right words just weren't coming. After another two minutes, she finally shut up and looked down into her tea.

Hey there! My name's Ziggy Aurum, and I'm the New York Rave Queen! Just ask if you wanna hang out, I'm not shy! http://shokushu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7589

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 am

It was possible to be proficient in a combination element like lightning as far as Kanoe knew. She knew a priestess who specialized in ice which was just a mixture of water and air but showed little ability in the individual elements. Still, referring to lightning and air as halves of some sort of whole did tug at her. Alice fell silent though and seemed unable to say anything further. "Hmm?" she began, "You said you had ideas? Is there something wrong, Alice? You seem uneasy." She already knew how it was teaching one that was nervous and kenw it was best to deal with such matters now before it hindered future lessons.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:53 am

"It's nothing. I tried something similar to the idea I had earlier. It worked well enough, but I tried a different idea which backfired. Badly." Alice said, alluding to something, not quite revealing what that something was. "I tried to use my control over air to keep my goggles clear in an environment where wearing them would be bad. That worked. My other experiment, one with electricity, backfired and ended up getting me hurt. That's all."

Alice never looked up from her tea, silently begging Kanoe to end this torturous awkwardness.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:11 am

"You are being vague, Alice," she replied, "And backlash can be dangerous. That is perhaps the only good thing about the inhibiting effect this island has. It limits also the damage you can accidently do to yourself. If you have no intention of sharing your ideas, I suppose we can move on to some minor spells to practice with."

The witch rose to her feet and searched through her closet and pulled out a tome. She returned to the table and placed it in front of Alice, opening it and turning a few pages. Her lover was familiar with all the base elements so she expected there to be some information on air magicks in her tome. "I suppose my next question to is can you read magic runes or is your grandmother's book already translated?" she asked, "If not, I can teach you about interpretting and translating runes as best as I can."

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm

"I can read runes well enough. There are a lot of pages that aren't translated, and there's several other pages listing what every rune in the book means." Alice said, looking down at the massive volume on the table. Reading a few of the runes in her head, after making sure her mana field was restrained, Alice sighed. "I was being vague for a reason, Kanoe. The spell itself didn't hurt me. Now then, I'll say no more on the subject." She said plainly.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 am

Now Kanoe was getting annoyed at the woman's attitude. "Oh my apologies," she replied evenly, "I thought you wanted to learn something from me. Seems you are just here to waste my time. I ask because it is important to know exactly what things you have learned. This saves me time on certain topics and also helps you as it means I can move on to something that will interest you more. Even better, if that information you learned is wrong, I can correct it. But it seems you have lost interest in our agreement and you seem to not have the drive you had when you first came for my assistance." Her arms cross infront of her. Perhaps she made a mistake about this one and now the woman was grating on her with these little childish games. "Do you wish to learn from me or not, Alice? I will not tolerate this tone you have taken with me."

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 am

"I'm sorry, Kanoe. I don't know what's wrong with me today. I fucked up an experiment earlier. I tried to use my ability to manipulate electricity to power a small device. I had forgotten to clean up my bathroom after a long shower, and there was water on the floor. Instead of powering the device, I ended up shocking myself." Alice sighed. "I shouldn't have taken my frustration with myself out on you. I really do want to learn from you, so I'll grow up and accept that you don't ask pointless questions..." Alice felt defeated.

I won't give up on making you squirm with pleasure, Kanoe. I'm going to stop trying to play dominant though, as it's not working for either of us... Alice thought, focusing on that single idea.

"Now then, may I ask you to please teach me, Kanoe?" Alice said, trying to be as sweet as she could.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:33 am

"Your conduct since your 'arrival' has been less than exceptional," the witch said coldly, "You are free to practice your powers on your own time but any mistakes are your own doing. It took much time and sacrifice to gather what I know now and what I could possibly know in the future. I will not sit by and let you break into my room just to vent your self inflicted issues. I have other apprentices who do not take their magic for granted who give me the respect I deserve."

She smoothed her robe as she made it very clear that she was not about to play this games. It wasted her time and on Shokushu time was precious as there was no telling what may be lurking around the next corner. "Now," she continued, "If you brought your book, we may use that else you will have to work on translating the tome infront of you. It is important to have your own set of notes and not rely purely on the tomes themselves. This will help keep track of what you know and can correct mistakes you may make in the past. If you have no further ideas, you may get started now."

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm

"I have it right here." Alice said, pulling the book out of her shoulder bag. She pulled out pen and paper as well, and turned into a page in her book that contained un-translated runes.

I give up. I'm only going to hurt myself if I keep acting like this. I had far more fun just submitting to her than I am fighting her. Alice thought.

"Kanoe, I'm sorry again. I'm letting a lot of external crap get in the way, and that's not a wonderful thing to do. I promise to keep my crap organized better from now on." Alice said.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 am

The witch was not aware of what the woman was thinking or that Alice had decided to just give in. But with the woman focused on her studies now, Kanoe had no real reason to be concerned. She did hope that attitude of hers would go away as she had better things to do than deal with little hissy fits. The student seemed to understand so she considered the matter dealt with.

"It is fine," she replied calmly, moving to look over the tome and her notes, "Oh? I thought your book was already translated since it came from your grandmother. If you don't mind, we can review what you have translated so far and make sure things are consistent. I find others tend to have different ideas of what runes means what." Kanoe grabbed a few of her own notes so she could compare and contrast. She would make notes of any unique runes and translations she may find while offering her own ideas and corrections to Alice's. Hopefully that will make some of things the woman looked over a bit more clear.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 pm

"Ah, well, this page was written by one of my older ancestors, and grandma had trouble translating it. She has some notes here, but they're not very complete." Alice said. Kanoe's assistance definitely made it a lot more interesting to translate, as the dark witch consistently picked out tiny mistakes, and adding commentary. Alice managed to keep up in the conversation, but wasn't able to really add anything to the conversation.

After several hours, Alice stretched. Setting her pen down, she sighed. "This isn't very easy. It's a good thing I wasn't expecting a cakewalk."

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Well it made sense, even amongst family things could be lost in translation over the decades. Alice managed to remain attentative throughout the translating. Kanoe's lessons were not all about just casting spells. One had to be able to read the text in order to continue moving forward afterall. Things had calmed down. It was neither tense nor awkward as Alice simply worked and Kanoe taught. She could not have asked for a smoother session.

"Well if it were easy, everyone would be learning magic," she replied, "And then it would lose its... magic I suppose. Secrets are far more enjoyable the less people know about them. But it is time for a break. I trust you are hungry?" The witch rose to her feet and headed for the kitchen. There was no reason to work themselves to exhaustion. She felt they made alot of progress tonight. Hopefully future sessions will go as well.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next