View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Tryouts(for Rhaine) 

Post Tryouts(for Rhaine)
Rosalie's team came very close to defeating the Dire Wolves, coming short by just one point. While losing that final match initially felt like a failure, the team's spirits quickly lifted realizing that no one else had come so close in quite a few years. It seemed Rosalie helped them realize victory was possible, so the team was quick to elect her as their team captain.

Now was the start of the tryouts for the sports teams, including soccer. Rosalie was out in the field with several girls who wished to sign up. She watched them carefully, seeing who had more potential, but also to see how well they could work as a team.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 am

Post Re: Tryouts(for Rhaine)
She was a fabulous swimmer but she had never wished to turn the activity into a chore. But she was being pressured to at least give it a try. Finally she snapped, worn down by the constant encouragement and was going to give a lackluster performance to deliberately sabotage her efforts but she was so good that she knew that the other girls would know that she did this on purpose and they'd only harass her …

So as she passed the field and saw that they were holding open try outs today she gave pause.

“Say ...” Rhaine realized that she could use this as an excuse. If all her free time had been eaten up with soccer then she wouldn't be hassled so much about swimming and so she could keep swimming as a fun activity rather than drilling again and again with it to the point that it was no longer fun.

Now she played a little soccer back in high school. She was never all that good but she knew some of the basics, some of the foot work. To kick with the top of her foot rather than her toes, in fact it was so ingrained in her now that when she and Shine had been going through that lab she gave a nut shot to a guard using her entire foot …

She grinned at that, wondered if she would ever find out who “Shine” really was. Maybe she would one of these days …

She was not an aggressive player, better suited to defense then offense it seemed. Passing the ball, almost as if she were afraid to take shots or unfamiliar with taking center stage often enough. She passed a lot though her skills were raw it was obvious that she had some experience and could work as part of a team devoid of an ego and needing to be the center of attention, definitely not a forward but of course not everyone had been suited for that role, there were other roles that she could fill though she was taking this seriously she wasn't expecting to earn a place on the team when there were so many other girls to choose from.

Her book bag was at the edge of the field packed up with a few things, a bottle of water, a towel, her goggles, no swim suit though, she was going to have to wear the one piece bathing suit of the school though she was wearing shorts and a tank top her shoes were regulation for this sort of thing since her reason for being here was rather ad hoc.

Rhaine's Diary

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Rosalie took note of the new girl that had just entered the tryouts and watched her as well. She could see that Rhaine seemed to be avoiding taking shots when the opportunity presented itself. She soon approaches Rhaine as she's catching her breath at one point. "You're doing good, but I'd like to see you try to take a couple of shots. I need to see where you rank on both offense and defense. I don't expect anyone to be an expert on both, but I need everyone on the team to be able to play both sides. What's your name? I didn't see you at the start of tryouts."

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:17 pm

“Right. I'm not all that great at offense but I'll give it a shot.” She says with a nod. Offense was never something that fell into her comfort zone but she would give it a try.

“My name's Rhaine Fischer. This was rather impromptu but my friends kept pressuring me to go out for the swim team. I'm real good at that but I didn't want to make it into a chore either. It's fun right now and I'd rather keep it that way.”

She explains with a little nod. “I was walking by and saw that there was soccer try outs. I played a little back in high school I wasn't too great but liked it enough to give it a shot, kick the ball around a little and what have you but I wasn't here at the beginning. Should I try those shots now?”

Rhaine's Diary

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 pm

"Oh I see. I'm Rosalie Holbeck, the team captain. Yes, take them whenever you can, but also work on other aspects on playing on the offensive. As I said, I don't expect you or anyone else to score goals everytime, just do your best." With that, Rosalie steps back giving the players room to practice.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:39 am

“Pleased to meet you, Rosalie.”

Rhaine continues with her practice. Passes she seems good at though lousy at steals. As lousy as she is in that department she's even poorer taking shots. Either she hesitates to long or gets to taking shots too early and tipping her hand.

However, her actual stamina is pretty good and watching her there's lots of room for improvement though she has most of the little things down.

It seemed that taking a more aggressive stance for her was tougher though if she were better with steals she would be a pretty good defensive player.

Rhaine's Diary

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:10 am

After allowing the players to go freestyle, Rosalie starts having them do drills on controlling the ball as the players ran down the field, passing, shooting, and blocking. She could usually tell whether players were putting their all into their practice or not. Rhaine was clearly trying harder, and while she was doing quite well in most other aspects, shooting still seemed to be her weakness.

It was around 1:00 PM when tryouts finally came to a close. Along with a coach, Rosalie evaluated all potential players and then had everyone line up. "Okay everyone, after carefully monitoring your effort and skills, we have decided who will be on the team..." She then calls out names on the clipboard. Some were players from the previous year, others were new members. Rhaine happened to be one of the new players Rosalie called out. "As for everyone else who didn't get picked, better luck next year. That is all." After that, the girls disperse and many go to a table set up with food and beverages for after the tryouts. Rosalie herself went right for it as well.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 am

She was surprised. Only she would leave her dorm set out to do swimming try outs and end up doing soccer instead landing a role on the team. That was unforeseen though not unwanted either. Rhaine had chalked things up to having the tools that gave a good foundation, something to work with and improve upon with little effort on anyone's part save for the girl of course.

The basics where there though so all that was required was for Rhaine to put the work in for the results. After being selected many of the girls brake up going indoors to shower before heading to the dorms or making their way over to the food.

She notices that only the girls that were selected for the team are hanging around at the tables and thus she grabs a little food and heads over herself.

Finding Rosalie if she were not to busy of course Rhaine waits until there is a free moment before addressing her.

“You think I'm good enough for the team and not just as an alternate?” She often lacked confidence herself about these things.

Rhaine's Diary

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:10 am

Rosalie at first only nodded to Rhaine's question as she had food in her mouth. Once she swallowed it, she speaks. "I could use some practice, but I think what's really holding you back is that you don't really have any passion for it. Tell me, when you played soccer before, how often did you practice or participate in any games?"

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:28 am

“I played a little back in high school. I was an alternative so I didn't get much playing time because of it though,.”

She considers the matter a little though. “I didn't have many competitive sporting games that I was involved in being more the bookworm type.”

Rhaine's Diary

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:36 am

"Oh I see. That is going to be a problem. You see, I don't see anything wrong with playing a sport just for the fun of it, but teams like this need every member to be more serious. The other players have been fired up lately because we came very close to winning the final match against the Dire Wolves last year. They've been the champions for the past eight years now, and our other teammates would be mad if you go into a match half heartedly. Knowing all this, do you still want to be on the team?"

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 pm

“Oh, no I didn't mean that.” She thinks for a moment as she ponders how best to explain matters. “I love swimming but think if I actually tried out for the swim team it would ruin my love for it. What I love would be reduced to drill after drill until I just got sick of it and didn't love it any more.

“That passion I have for it would die I think. But starting up something new can be exciting. As long as you can but up with my rough skills I don't mind working at it. I know these things are hard work and rather than devoting all my time to swimming I'd like to devote my time to the sport, does that make a little more sense?”

Rhaine's Diary

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

"We'll alright, I'll keep you on as a regular teammate. But I will expect you to practice and do your absolute best during mathes. It wouldn't be fair of me to lower my expectation for one player." Rosalie thinks for a moment trying to think of something else to talk about. "So, how'd you come to this school in the first place?"

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 pm

“I wouldn't expect you too. Lot's of hard work, I still probably won't be as good as half the girls but I'm willing to keep at it.”

She considers the question for a bit. She doesn't mind answering in considering how things turned out for her in the end. She met Dani given her choice after all.

“I had to get out of Colorado. I got involved in a really bad relationship, well two actually and wanted to leave that mess all behind me and start anew. How about yourself? What brings you to Shokushu?”

Rhaine's Diary

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 pm

"My parents..." Rosalie said sounding a bit irritated about it. "You see, my family has this bizarre tradition that girls are not to meet with any men until we turn 21, which is when marriage arrangements will start. I personally despise this rule and have tried to leave my family's estate. So I was sent here knowing there was no way I could ever sneak away." She takes another bite of her sandwich before continuing. "But I guess this place isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm on a soccer team, something I couldn't do before."

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next