View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Doppelganger Returns (for Vera) 

Post Re: Doppelganger Returns (for Vera)
"I am allowed to defend myself while on this island," Vera replied, "But causing harm to Shokushu's guests is generally frowned upon. That copy cat was doing nothing threatening to my person so violence was not necessary." Her arms crossed infront of her chest. She had a bad feeling about this being but then again she has that feeling for nearly all the guests of the island. But just being around this cloaked figure was making her skin tingle and feel strange. Being alone in this rarely visited room did not comfort her much either.

If things go wrong, she can always flee to the door. That would bring her back to the main library and hopefully near other people. "That really depends on what you mean by acquainted, Spectre," she answered, "The guests of this island rarily speak to humans unless it meant getting something out of it. What do you hope to gain from speaking to a lesser being such as myself?" That something was usually her body in one form or another. But she was not about to give this thing any extra ideas. It could very well want to speak to her though she was uncertain what gain that would bring either of them. As long as the talk remains civilized, she would give the required respect of one visiting the island.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:39 am

"I mean acquainted in the most common sense of the word," Spectre noticed Vera was - understandably - guarded and perhaps a bit nervous, so it tried to add a bit of calm to the slow, measured progression of its Voice's effect.

"Again you impress me with your restraint and dedication to duty. Most students, even Head Girls, would stop at nothing to take their leave of me; I know my Presence can be . . . unsettling." The hooded figure moved as if to retrieve something from the desk before it, then seemed to think better of it.

"Perhaps you would be so kind as to help me return these books to their proper place as we talk?" The Thing backed slowly away from the desk to allow Vera ample room to approach without having to get too near its manifestation.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 am

It was hardly restraint really. Vera simply knew the facts. Her magic was suppressed and still at a novice level. So even if she wanted to fight back, her powers were limited. Besides, it is amazing how obedient one can be with a device on one's heart. Still, the attempts of flattery were at least a pleasant change from the constant insults and reminder of how weak and vulnerable human beings are.

She watched the figure move closer to one of the desks. It was doubtful she could prevent the being from taking any of these rare books. It was not like the thing had a library card either to go through the proper channels to check these things out. Spectre did admit to taking books from the library and wished to return them now. Vera was uncertain what books it was talking about but who knows what lies beyond that cloak. "What books are you talking about?" The Head Girl answered, moving towards the desk it floated away from. It certainly would not bother her if the books were meant to be in the main library, giving her an excuse to be somewhere a bit more public instead of alone with an interdimensional stranger.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:13 pm

"The ones Doppelganger chose as props for its ill-conceived charade," Spectre replied, the effects of its Voice, including the note of calm, creeping ever deeper into Vera's body and mind.

"I believe they came from this area here . . . " The Thing turned toward the cramped, musty stacks in the back half of the vault.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm

It was doubtful that the Doppelganger went through normal channels to get these books so trying to check them back in normally would probably only create more confusion. She waited for the being to move far enough away for her to move to the table and grab the books in question. Vera looked at each of them as it gave a suggestion of where they belong. Once again, she was getting strange feelings around this thing and it was hardly comforting. This thing was no doubt unnatural and the sooner this was done, the better.

Once confirming that the book do belong in the back of the vault, Vera carried them towards the more cramped area of the vault. "What is it you wish to speak about?" she asked. Once at her destination, she starts putting the books away one by one. As a Head Girl she tends to focus on her task, ensuring it is done quickly and efficiently.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Spectre followed at a distance as Vera moved toward the stacks. It was careful not to crowd her so as to avoid causing her to become more defensive. "I wish to know more about you," the Thing replied with its slowly intensifying Voice. "About your talents and interests and perhaps your plans for the future."

There was genuine interest in the Thing's tone, for though it could glean much of this information from delving into other parts of her timeline, it wanted to hear the aswers in her own words - though it suspected she would not be inclined to aswer. Yet any objection she might give would have to wait as the Thing continued on a seemingly random tangent.

"The Prince and The Art of War, Doppelganger's read of you must have been quite inaccurate - these do not seem like titles that would interest or make a difference to you; Unless I am mistaken . . . ?"

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Her body continued to tingle every time the thing spoke to her. It was a steady wave of sensation that grew a bit stronger as the conversation continued. No amount of subtle calming was going to hide the fact that something was off here. Vera's body was beginning to react, nipples hardening and growing slightly erect as blood began to flow to more sensitive areas of the woman's body. She was not threatened yet though as she continued to put the tomes and books away.

The books in question seemed a bit out of place to be with spell tomes and other ancient text. But this storage vault did hold other rare books such as first editions and the like. Vera generally did not care what edition a book was as long as the information was still accurate. But apparently the doppleganger wanted to aim for the rarest of books eventhough it would have been easier to just access the versions in the regular library. "I would appreciate you not reviewing everything that thing read from my mind. And yes, I have read both books," Vera replied. Most people knew of The Art of War though not all said people have read through the book. The Prince can be a bit more obscure depending on your own tastes and upbringing. One was a book on war strategies and philosophies while the other was supposedly about politics though some consider it just a satire of such things.

Once the last book was put away, Vera would walk towards the being with the intention of getting out of this tight storage area.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:47 pm

"Forgive me," Spectre replied with a half-bow of its manifestation's hood. "I did not mean to offend." The Thing continued the slow build up of it's Voice's stimulation effect. The tinge of calm it included was meant only to combat Vera's inclination to assume that she was under attack. It hoped that, coupled with the relatively cordial demeanor of the consversation, the ploy would at least give the Head Girl pause in executing her prejudices (warranted though they be).

"I only mentioned the titles because they seemed inappropriate as material to use against one who is content to serve." Spectre was certain this was not an accurate description of Vera's character, but it wondered if she would correct its assertion.

Spectre backed away as Vera moved to exit the storage area. It would have been a perfect set up to trap the young woman in a confined space, but the Thing had no intention of attacking outright. Such was simply not its way. It derived little pleasure from the mere physical act, finding games of the mind more fulfilling.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:41 am

It not taking advantage of an otherwise vulnerable position was certainly a step in the right direction even if it meant deceit in the future. Her body felt strangely good all over as if his voice was speaking to every cell in her body. Whether this is just a side effect or intentional there was no way of saying without asking or accusing directly. The Head Girl passed the being and returned to be nearer to the door. She may have done this just in case she needed to flee but it was also the most open area to talk in. This is not exactly a room meant for conversation.

Her eyes slightly at the mention of being a servant. It may not have been intended as an insult. It was true that she was servant or slave to another but she would hardly compare herself to other students on this island. "Just because I serve those above me does not mean I do not lead those below my class," Vera replied, "Even a leader may take orders from someone higher in the chain." Just like any business or corporation, there were politics involved as well. Though seen as lower than most as far the staff was concerned, Vera did hold a position of note even if it is one of the Headmaster's favored plaything. She was a slave to the highest position in Shokushu, that alone put her closer to other circles than ordinary students.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm

"Ah, perhaps I misspoke," Spectre let the power of its Voice fade just a little. A barely perceptible change, but if Vera noticed, perhaps she would connnect it to any irritation she might feel at the Being's previous comment. "I apologize again, I meant no disrespect."

"I would speak to you further, but I have kept you from your studies long enough," The level of the Voice remained steady, just enough to reinforce whatever level of stimulation Vera was feeling. "But before we part, I feel I must reward you for your help with the books."

On the edge of the desk nearest Vera, reality bent and bubbled, warping for a moment before settling down to reveal a small wooden box.

"Please take this small trinket, my gift to you and a token of my esteem." Spectre's Voice seemed to come from farther and farther away as its manifestation began to fold in on itself, and its power faded accordingly. Still, the effects it had on the silver haired Head Girl should linger for a time, hopefully giving her reason to ponder the encounter. "May we meet again soon . . . "

Then the Voice, like the Thing itself, was gone. The only physical evidence of its presence a simple package left for Vera to take or leave at her leisure.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 am

The being began to mold into another plane of existence. Whatever the creature intended, it was oddly non aggressive or violent. It even let the Head Girl go with a gift. Vera took a slow breath, her body still tingling from the encounter. Whatever that thing was, it left her body heated and sensitive. Once she was certain that she was alone, the Head Girl went to the small box waiting for her. Gift or trap? It was doubtful a being that could phase into different realities or whatever it was doing to appear would resort to trapping a gift and giving it to her. Then again, it would not be the first time that a monster did something completely illogical.

Vera picked up the box but did not open it. She was still in a restricted area and it would be best not to have to answer any awkward questions. The Head Girl waited at the door, eyes closed as she waited for any emotional auras to fade in the distance. Only then will the woman finally leave the back room and proceeded out of the library. The cool breeze outside helped calm her body down, the effect of the voice wearing off by the time she reached the tower. Once she was alone in her suite, Vera sets the box on her desk and opens it. It was time to see what this gift was. Spectre mentioned it was a trinket so her only guess was a piece of jewelry or something similar.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Spectre watched from the great Beyond as the young woman took her time before picking up the box. It had expected such caution from her. That she did not immediately open the gift was more interesting, but also not terribly surprising. The Thing was puzzled for a moment, however that she paused at the door for so long - until it realized she was waiting for the room outside to clear. Very clever . . . she would indeed be an entertaining opponent.

The box, once opened, revealed a small jade Magatama bead nestled amidst simple straw packing. The crescent shaped bead was clearly old, but well cared for. It was mounted on a silver chain that passed through the hole in its thicker end making it into a servicable necklace. On closer inspection, one could make out a strange pictogram on one side of the bead. The glyph was etched into the jade then inlaid with a silver-white metal. It was similar in form to, but older and more primitive seeming than, the Kanji for 'protection.'

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:16 am

The gift was even packed properly to ensure no damage would occur during its transport. She pulled out the silver chain and examined the crescent shaped piece of jade hanging from it. It seemed to be a harmless piece of jewelry. If such a gift had come from a human, she would have thought little of it. But since this was from a being that can apparently enter and leave dimensions at will, Vera had to err on the side of caution at least until she learns a bit more.

The small jewel had what looked like kanji etched into it. It was not exactly the same but it looked like the symbol for protection, an odd thing to give to one of the potential preys of the island. It could very well be just decoration, a mere symbol that held no power. But it was better to be safe. The Head Girl concentrated for a moment, allowing her eyes to see mana flowing around her. She would then study the trinket to see if anything out of the ordinary was radiating from the jewel.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Amidst the ebb and flow of the universe's lifeblood, the small talisman glowed faintly. However, against that background, the symbol on it glittered brightly, almost as though reflecting some of that ambient power.

From its vantage point in the Beyond, Spectre could not tell what Vera was doing. The level of concentration she displayed made it suspect she was examining the gift with senses beyond its understanding - a fact it found a little irritating. The Thing knew the talisman was magical - Nebthraxus had confirmed as much and explained its properties - but, though it sometimes masqueraded as a sorcerous tutor, it really knew nothing of the mystical arts. In truth, it believed that 'magic' was nothing more than crutch that lesser beings needed to make sense of 'reality.' In that respect, Spectre saw more clearly than the most powerful mage, for it knew the origin of all things was that which it embodied: Chaos.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm

The trinket was certainly real as the threads of earth flowed through it just as it did through most physical objects in the universe. Beyond that though, there was not much to gather. It seemed to have a bit of power at least around the etched symbol though that could be purely by chance. Glyphs and symbols held a certain amount of power in them even when not properly enchanted. Still, Vera had little reason to doubt this may be some minor magical accessory though it could be useless in the presence of the island's inhibitors.

Vera would set the charm back in its box and continue with her work. Once it became late, she would shower and change, putting the necklace on to replace the powerless necklace she usually wore under her uniform. The Head Girl ate dinner and then went straight to bed. She did not seem to feel any different with the trinket on but it did seem to have a bit of mana to it so perhaps she will wear it for luck.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next