View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Fool On The Hill (Ico v Aeria) 

Post Fool On The Hill (Ico v Aeria)
Shokushu as a school was rather peculiar... it was filled with monsters.

Many monsters had their lairs.
Many monsters had their hunting grounds.

But Icosagon liked to have places to lurk. He lurked in the library, he lurked in the woods. And his favorite spot to lurk... was the rooftops of the classrooms.

The area was not much to look at; concrete flooring, the boxlike entrance to the stairs and school below, and a tall fence that stood up along the edges to make sure no one hurdled themselves to their demise. A couple boxlike air conditioning units rumbled, stoic sentries churning away to keep the school below cool.

It was a private place. Not just for him, but often a good place for students to take a smoke break, or for others who just wanted to be alone. For students, it was a nice spot for a lot of reasons, but too bland and uncomfortable for most to make use of it.

And for 'others', it was of limited use. For monsters, it was in a place still remarkably exposed, people able to see up there from far away or hear loud noises from below. It'd be rare for anyone to come there during the night... only during class hours would a student go up there typically. Thus it was a terrible hunting spot.

And so Ico loved to lurk there.

Not to hunt of course, but to do his own things. It wasn't secure in the slightest, not at all, but it was empty... while still being close enough to the school for anything else he wanted. While up there, he sat on the very entrance below, legs folded... it was a large spot to sit, and the angle was bad for people to notice him unless he was near the edge.

A good spot. In this case, to wait. It was a sunny day, with the trees by the building rustling in the breeze and the students laughing or shouting below. A large metal box, one he often left up in this strange hideaway, lay open as he shuffled through things quietly. Up here he waited, doing foolish things in a foolish place. Below, the rooftop, and the building, like a hill laid out... and further still, the grass and lawn and the ground. It was his hill, and up at the top he sat, as the sun moved through the sky.

This time, he wasn't just up here to mess with his things, to toy with his strange activities. He was waiting for someone. He'd seen her up here once before, recently, and became a bit intrigued. Now, he was perched and waiting... and he did not know when she would arrive. He had been there for hours, and may be there for hours still. He could be there a day, or even two. However long it took, he would wait, on the simple possibility that today she would show.

Today, in that concrete plateau, it was sunny, breezy. Leaves rustled and danced, the slender shapes of students moving between buildings far away. Those closer he could not see, the angle poor. Chatter and laughter floated up, from students on their lunch break on the grass or loitering in the classrooms. The rooftop was an inelegant place, stone, hard, boring and drab, held within the fences like an isolated prison. No one normal would come up here on such a breezy, pleasant day.

So how long would it be, how long would it take? Until then, he was just a fool on his hill, watching the sun go by as he stayed there still...

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: Fool On The Hill (Ico v Aeria)
The ability to predict Aeria's location at any point during the day around school was difficult to say the least. She had made it that way. But from the outside her actions seemed innocent enough. Sometimes she'd run on the track fields, other times just around the school itself, she did her homework usually in any place other than her room, returning to it only to sleep. Most passed her off as an outdoorsy type of person, or at the very least an active one, a few noting she made a couple of treks out into the woods around campus. And such her existence continued, a seemingly disconnected series of activities that made her elusive to anything that wouldn't wait just outside her room. And she had learned to time her returns with the greatest flux of other students. No defense was perfect, she knew that, but hopefully it would be enough to discourage all but the most adamant pursuers. And she had seemed in her brief time here to collect a few of them.

Today she had decided on the rooftops of the classes. It was private enough to suit her usual purposes, open enough for her to breathe easily and anyone with a set of ears would here her scream should the worse happen... and there would be a lot of ears about below at this time of day. She shook her head as she climbed the stairs muttering to herself 'Get a hold of yourself girl. This is a precaution, no need getting completely paranoid.' She found the door today, surprisingly enough, locked. Well that hadn't stopped her before. No rule existed that said she couldn't be up there, likely it was one of the several vague regulations that the school had to gain easy access to girls to 'punish'. She knew that, but still took the risk, it wasn't as if they could do something to her she hadn't already experienced. Her palm was pressed to the knob, a slight bit of force pressed through the key hole and with the lock disengaged under that pressure she twisted the knob, the door coming open and she stepped out into the pleasant afternoon light and heat. She gave a long stretch, a happy sigh coming from her as she felt the sun caress her face. She felt no ill effects for using her ability for such a minor task, having come a long long ways in controlling it.

She slipped her backpack off, slipping cross legged down onto the concrete, using her English book as a cushion. English... pshaw, a waste of a class. Taught the same thing over and over again only with bigger and longer essays with each step up. She brought out something a tad more interesting, a chemistry text book and opened it, beginning to work on her homework. She was unaware that she had an observer right behind her, well above and behind her, at this time.

Whether it be to offer constructive criticism of my writing (that is always appreciated), an offer to start another thread, or just random nonsense don't hesitate to pm me. I don't bite.

Life's been overwhelming me as of late and my responses have been sporadic at best. I am sorry to all of those whom I have active scenes with and I will try to reply as promptly as I can.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Click. He didn't realize notice the sound, not really. The locked door... it kept most people from coming up. But others it wouldn't be a problem for, one way or another. In truth though...

He forgot he locked it. Oh well. It meant he didn't need to lurk and hide if others entered. It only occured to him belatedly, as the sound of shoes on stone reached his ears. He stopped, his hands slowly gathering up the tiddly-winks laid out before him.

Here she was... the right one he was looking for. He had been watching her for a bit, but he hadn't expected to find her 'available' so fast. Breathing lowly, he edged silently closer to the edge, peering down over the edge at her.

A backpack... and she was sitting down on a book? He resisted the urge to whistle, amused as he saw the side of the table. English.

And... chemistry. He leans forwards a little silently, reading over her shoulder. Ahh... such mischieveeous reading indeed. He didn't speak, didn't make a sound... he wasn't concerned about interrupting... now that she was here, there was no hurry.

The sun was bright, hot, but not unpleasantly so. At this height the wind played out over the rooftop easily. The sun was just in front of her, slowly making its journey to pass over her head. All in all, it was a perfect day... even if only to bask in the sun and read. It was surprisingly peaceful, almost ironic while looking at what she was looking at...

If he was right about this Russian girl... she had potential. But how much? And what was she involved in, exactly? Well, he would find out. Reaching out, he gently plucked up one of the 'winks, rolling it silently between his fingers as he watched and waited... he had time.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 am
Profile YIM

The chem book was quite advanced for her grade, quite advanced even for her own understanding. Mostly it had to do with organic compounds, the specific chapter she was on detailing the one's excreted by the human brain. It made sense, her powers were not magically driven, there had to be something that allowed her to do what she did. An advanced form of adrenaline? She brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, gray eyes intent on the page before her, looking for some clue as to how she had been born as she was.

She was entirely unaware of her observer, the wind blowing pleasantly, the sun shining brightly over her front... it was too peaceful even for her to be wary. That and she was distracted by her readings. Her eyes lifted the page finally, an irritated sigh escaping her, this stuff was way beyond what she could understand. She needed someone who was more schooled in the subject. That and laboratory equipment. Finger ran over her temples as she looked at the book dejectedly as it refused to reveal its secrets to her. Maybe she'd actually have to go through the process of actually taking the classes...

Whether it be to offer constructive criticism of my writing (that is always appreciated), an offer to start another thread, or just random nonsense don't hesitate to pm me. I don't bite.

Life's been overwhelming me as of late and my responses have been sporadic at best. I am sorry to all of those whom I have active scenes with and I will try to reply as promptly as I can.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:39 am

How peculiar. He would have guessed explosives. But she was looking on... organic chemistry? Slowly, he rolled over, onto his back, and let his head hang down, staring at her upside down now.

Very strange.

As if his position wasn't even stranger.

But... brain chemistry? Organic chemistry? Was this a hobby? But... if he was right, she wasn't a woman to do something without purpose. Unless it was an exercise in sanity...

Possibly.

Doubting her sanity? Wanting to understand what was wrong with her mind? Or someone else's? It was a strange subject, though... chemistry was very... literal. Physical. While other types of analysis... psychology, psychoanalysis... research into abberant behavior... they were all direct, they all explained these things... even in biochemical terms at times.

This was coming at it from the other direction. Finding an answer that was available would be faster that way...

Did that mean the answer wasn't available?

All this was conjecture. He could think of a dozen other explanations. But it was something to file away for-

Oops. A stronger breeze was blowing through the rooftops. It ran through the pages of the textbook, ruffling and fluttering them as it ran by. Hair danced. Clothing fluttered.

And metal jangled and plastic rolled. Tiddly-winks he pulled aside bounced as a book it was on fluttered, scattering plastic pieces, sending them rolling. He did't reach, didn't scramble, it would betray his presence, surely. But then the plastic cup fell over, rolling right off the side of the concrete as it topples towards the woman's noggin...

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:05 am
Profile YIM

Aeria's hand ran through her hair absently, irritated with her lack of progress. She figured better controlling her ability would be solved by figuring out what powered it. She had narrowed it down somewhat, the frontal lobe was involved, her headaches stood paramount to that, it seemed linked to her nervous system... but little else made sense. What the fuck had her parents been given to cause such a mutation within herself!? Well it wasn't like she was going to get any answers. The Romanian government would have destroyed all evidence of the experiment as soon as the Soviet Union collapsed. Did she dare bring in another party? A lab technician perhaps? She shuddered at the thought. All things pointed to that the labs were even more dangerous in their own right than the basement.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a something hit her near the back of her head. Lightly to be sure, but enough to have her head whip around, catching the red plastic of the cup as it bounced away. But more than her eyes caught sight of a... kid? No. It couldn't be. This was a college of all places, an all female college. She recalled her first meeting with a seemingly real male and she spun away from the kid, instantly wary, her pulse beating in her veins as adrenaline flooded her system. She could think of only two things it could be, a child genius member of the faculty, incredibly unlikely, a creature in human disguise, oddly enough the most likely thing. Gray eyes locked on him and she uttered "Who the hell are you?"

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am

Oops. There she went. Too early. He hadn't seen enough... gotten used to her behavior enough. This one was elusive enough as it was...

"Heh. My name's not free... and it's not polite to ask without introducing yourself first. Who are you?"

He was turning back over, getting on his elbows and stomach as he peered down at Aeria more closely. Finally, he pushes himself up to his hands and knees, sliding his hips around and sitting down... sending his feet dangling down over the edge. They were also over the doorway out, she would note...

He was short, youngish looking. Short pale blonde hair, slim body... he wore something simple, though not casual. Buttoned up white-collar shirt and slacks, like he was in an office or school... appropriate. If he wasn't too young-looking for the college, or male.

Finally his eyes met with hers... they didn't look away, matching her look... but instead of mirroring her brimming intensity, his were uncomitted, amused. It was like he was thinking of a joke... or thought her wariness funny. The bastard.

If he was a child genius, he was damn confident, even mocking. "Having trouble with your studies?" He added, as if tickled to find her cramming up there. Maybe he was.

Another strong breeze. This time nothing moved, but there was a faint rattle from whatever else was up with him... sounded like metal on stone, lightly bouncing and bumping. But he was leaning away from it, bending at the waist to peer closer at her face...

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 am
Profile YIM

Aeria's eyes narrowed at the kid's, if he was a kid that was, cocky attitude. She noted that the way he sat, peering down up on the doorway that he was, effectively made escaping down the stairs rather difficult. All he'd have to do is drop in front of her and... well she didn't believe she had the potential to deal with a creature in close range combat. But first there was the fact that she needed to prove he was indeed not human... The way he looked down at her, so analytically and yet so amused, almost as if he were watching an ant scurry about... it made her uncomfortable to be sure, but it wasn't proof. The stare down continued for a few seconds longer before she answered "I'm not trading mine without hearing yours first I'm afraid" Arms crossed stubbornly under her chest.

She gestured towards the book she had left behind with her foot and she stated, "Just some supplementary reading I'm doing" Continuing to be vague. Her head canted slightly, picking up the sound of metal on the concrete structure and her expression suddenly became a tad worried. She did not have a good relationship with metal in this place. But it faded almost as fast as it appeared, not wanting to give the little bastard anything more to smile about

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 am

Huh. That was an interesting shift. Brief, though. What had triggered it, what had caused it? A thought, a sight, a reaction? He couldn't say... it might be a thought, or a natural reaction to something she noticed. He mildly filed it away, but figured it wasn't critical.

"Hah... I won't give you a name... but you can call me... 'Iso'." Reaching back and to the side, he began to pull something over next to him. It scraped, loudly, painfully, metal on stone. A large, wide metal box... it was hanging open, its contents open to whatever he was doing. She couldn't tell... it wasn't too deep, but for its size it must be quite heavy.

Leaning over and glancing through it, he looks up at her again. "Well, that actually works out well for me. I was doing some... supplementary studying, myself." A grin now. "Need some help?"

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:36 am
Profile YIM

Aeria's peered at the box he drew towards himself warily, uncertain exactly what it contained. Considering the racket it made being drug over the porous surface of the concrete it had to be heavy, but it wasn't all that large of a box so whatever was within it was fairly dense. But what was it? She grumbled slightly and answered "Not really Iso. I need a bit more than a second set of eyes for what I am looking into. Now if that box happens to be a 'do it yourself' home chemistry kit then maybe I might be interested in your assistance." Not really, a blatant lie, but she was hoping to leave as soon as the kid was distracted.

"Oh and you can call me Aer by the way. Since it seems we're going by nicknames." That and if he truly was a creature then she didn't want him to be able to track her through the school system by her using her name. Aeria wasn't exactly common. Air, could be a nickname for several students.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

"Hm... it isn't... but I do have some things like that. One has to have hobbies, after all." Interesting. Well, he had expected at least this much... but she was being a strange combination of guarded and unguarded.

Whistling cheerfully, he pulls a deck of cards out of the box, shuffling it back and forth in his hands. Then he tosses that aside, picking up a tall decanter of dice, peering at it before returning it tot he box. "Well, then... 'Air'," Iso says lightly, "I hope that isn't an indication of your thoughts. But, if you want a 'chemistry set', I certainly can provide."

He picks up a few more things... a small cloth package, a wooden box, a paper-wrapped package... and curls an arm around them before carefully sliding forwards. Slipping down, he grunts and lands on his feet, knees bending while his body rocks a little... For a moment he was off-balance, maybe for a heartbeat- but it wasn't enough. He was blocking the doorway, now; her chance to take advantage depended on whether she could simply brush him aside and flee...

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 am
Profile YIM

Aeria frowned, unable to determine the significance of any of the items he had brought out of the box, nor if any of them had been responsible for it's seemingly large weight. But she was of the opinion now that she didn't want to be around him any more. When he dropped she would let her arms fall from under her chest to rest by her sides, uttering simply "Look, whatever you are, I have class in a few minutes and I am going to not be late. So kindly move your ass or I'll move it for you" She hadn't made a grammatical error with her English, she had meant 'whatever' as she doubted that he was human. The bit about the class was a lie, but she needed an excuse to get off the roof. Hopefully he was either a weak creature or lazy, he certainly didn't seem threatening, her lack of responses also done to hopefully lower the amount of curiosity she was drawing from him. Oddly enough she did not approach him, despite her demand that he move out of her way, maintaining her distance. She wouldn't trust another in close encounter again.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 am

She was wary, that wasn't too expected. Actually, it would have been disappointing if she wasn't.

Her hands fell to her sides, though. A subtle shift in posture.

Technically, it could mean anything. But... when someone's arms were crossed, it was a sign of anger, of warding off other people's emotions. An emotionally defensive posture. With her arms unfolded... it was an aggressive one, and even physically so. At minimum, it was a physical readiness, wariness.

How aggressive was it? She hadn't approached, leaned in to him, closed a fist, or otherwise readied herself. She was in 'neutral', not moving even a little. Aeria threatened, but wasn't about to attack. Initiating a fight meant there would be one... maybe, if she truly thought she could strike and escape, she would. But otherwise...?

'Whatever' he was indeed...

"Before you leave, I should remark on something." Slowly, he leans backwards, watching her with a faint smile, but just a vague look like he was chatting over lunch. "I was actually looking for you, 'Air'... I kind of noticed you have something to do with a student I know. You know her... Renfroe, Elise?"

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 am
Profile YIM

Aeria watched him lean back, her expression flat, but also quite wary. If he made any sudden movements he'd be hit with the telekinetic version of a tackle, but she didn't truly wish to be the first to break this status quo. Talking wasn't hurting her and so long as he did not make any aggressive movements or become overly threatening she was loathe to turn this into a fight she might not win. Her threat had been intended to intimidate, but as things stood it was, at this point in time, nothing but a bluff.

She tilted her head ever so slightly at his words. She had been sought out? That was... an unpleasant thought to be sure. Lips went to a flat line as she chewed over those words for a moment before finally responding "I know her, what of it?" If he had gone out of his way to wait for her only to speak with her about Elise then it likely meant he already knew beyond all doubt she had met with her. She wouldn't be very forthcoming with anything else though.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Just because she wouldn't take a run at him didn't mean she had anything else in her arsenal. But he didn't know that. What he did know was she was holding back, reserved... she wasn't trying to be aggressive, to lead things into a fight.

That was good. He didn't want one.

At least not yet.

"'Know' her... is a very clean way of putting it." A smirk at Aeria now, and he carefully leans over to one side to put the things he picked up down. "You two sweat up the sheets. I'm surprised, really. I didn't think she had it in her."

Eyebrows raised now as he looks at Aeria as if she had done something bad. Even though it wasn't her he was talking about anymore. "But that little daring isn't enough. She's gotten herself into a mite of trouble... with me, in particular. She owes me quite a bit... frankly..."

A slow, almost drawn out shrug. "...she's pretty much screwed. I'm not so nice of a guy either that I'd be inclined to help her out. But you seem to be a pretty clever fish... I wonder if you are able to match. Or maybe that's beyond you?"

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:39 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next