View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Down Once More (for PlagueBearer) 

Post Re: Down Once More (for PlagueBearer)
Plague dogged her footsteps for the first few moments out of the clearing, following her from up in the treetops. He took great pains to conceal himself, moving at a distance and stepping gracefully from branch to branch, suspending his weight equally on all four limbs and the countless tendrils that snaked out from under the back of his cloak, making the boughs bend only slightly with his passing. However, upon seeing the path she chose, he turned and left into the forest, making his way back to his cavern to quickly grab some provisions for the chase.

It wouldn't take long for her to realize why he left, if she even noticed him following, that is. The northeast exit curved immediately, staying almost flush to the clearing and turning off to end up in a long straightaway pointing southwest.

Simple folks never sense the devil's presence, not even when his hands are on their throats.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 pm

She was getting lost. She could feel it.

Perhaps it was the soft curve of the trees going elsewhere or, perhaps, the small breeze breaking through the canopy and trunks to brush against the back of her neck. The forest may be dead to her, but the rest of the island wasn't. And the wind on this island always came from the North. Persephone was going the wrong way.

Was there enough time to backtrack? Could she make it in time? How long had she been running? The girl carried no watch or any kind of time keeper, which would have been quite useful in this endeavor. She began to run back from where she had come, hoping that the forest would simply box her in. It was alright to change courses on her, but something else if they box her in and not let her move!

Of course, since this was a sentient labyrinth of sorts, Persephone would have no chance, really. Even if she could read the signs and tell which direction she had to go in, there was no way she could properly navigate a forest that was doing all it could to stop her from reaching her destination.

But Persephone Williams was a very stubborn girl and refuised to give in until it was over. As long as she had one second left on the clock, she'd keep on running.

She ran like mad, putting the track team to shame with the sheer speed she was displaying when she reached the clearing again--it took a lot of fast paced guessing and quick silver reflexes before exits were totally lost to her--and dashing off into another path into the forest. Surprisingly, at the halfway mark timewise, despite the odds, she was making good headway towards her destination.

Persephone Williams

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:50 am

It is without much pomp or circumstance that Plague drops back into view. Persephone had been headed down quite the long straight-away, had just turned onto it in fact, when Plague fell from the height of the canopy down to one knee in the middle of the path. He picked himself up quickly and dusted himself off, a dark shape dangling from one closed fist.

Plague was not one to partake in a game without hedging his bets. As such, a quick trip back to his lair and a brief rummage through his arsenal were all that were necessary to assure him what he assumed would be an easy victory in this little contest.

"Surprise, dear!" he shouted as the weighted net sailed from his hand with ease, the form spreading in the air as she sprinted towards him, eclipsing her within its shadow as he hopped back up into the canopy and was gone. He was certain she would waste most of her time extricating herself from the net, the weight alone would like bowl her over and leave her wondering which way was up.

Simple folks never sense the devil's presence, not even when his hands are on their throats.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:12 am

Persephone had not seen the net coming until it was right in her face and pressing up against her skin as she tripped and fell on her shoulder in an attempt to absorb the shock by rolling. She rolled and rolled and rolled until her body came to a stop next to a very larhe tree, her head utterly spinning! Her stomach did loop-to-loops and she honestly thought she was going to hurl, but held it in.

Damn that was dirty! But it was in the rules. He was allowed to stop her by any means neccessary, barring physical harm or permanent damage. Although she was sure she was going to get a bruise later on her right shoulder, but she was otherwise unharmed. Frustrated, yes, but had gained no injuries to her person.

Contrary to how many would react to being caught in a net--especially with a time limit to make them panic even more--Persephone was decidedly calm as she laid on the forest ground, tangled up in the net. She knew that, despite the clock seeming to tick by really fast as the adrenaline was coursing through her veins, no more than five seconds would have past between her lying on the ground, taking a breather and then starting to move.

"By the way, I'm perfectly alright. Thank you for asking," she yelled out, knowing Plague would hear her voice. The young woman sat herself up and calmly devised a way to get out of the net quickly and efficiently. By the time she managed to get back up again and had the net off of her, she had three minutes left to run.

And she took off again, like a bullet.

She had no time to lose.

Persephone Williams

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:22 am

A smile crosses Plague's decidedly alien features as he catches sight of the girl struggling to free herself before pulling up into the treetops and making his way toward the clearing they had specified as the destination. There was really quite little chance of her reaching it within the time limit now, but Plague was not one to allow loose ends to ruin a plan.

He rested his hand on the trunk of one of the trees, speaking to it directly, "Hold her for me when she gets in sight of the clearing, Kohryu friend, I need to prepare some things..." he patted the trunk twice and was off.

As Persephone sprinted through the twisting corridors of trees time slowly ticked away along with each footstep. She rounded one final corner and, almost miraculously, the waterfall loomed before her, spilling into that wonderfully clear pool. The idyllic scene was shattered, however, as the roots of the trees shot across the path, twisting like writhing serpents as they snatched at her legs as she ran.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 pm

So close! She was so close!

Her body fell to the ground the second time that day and Persephone could feel the wind get knocked right out of her. Gasping, she tried to keep on going forward, even though her whole body felt like it was on fire. Miraculously, she did manage to inch on forward, despite the roots keeping her to one place. They could try anyways! Hell hath no fury like a stubborn Williams girl!

Persephone used whatever leverage she could find to pull herself a bit closer, desperate to win this. She was close! So close! However, the proverbial clock was ticking and if she didn't move faster, she wouldn't be able to make it to the clearing...

The roots tightened around her ankles, moving up her calves, the scratchy wood making her legs itch painfully. Still she moved on.

"Kyaaah!" Persephone screamed as the possessed trees managed to pull her back a full meter.

Kicking at them, she re-doubeled her efforts.

The roots tightened again. Not enough to do any serious damage, but to let the girl know they meant business.

She managed to launch herself forward, re-gaining the distance she had lost.

The roost began climbing higher.

She moved closer. The exit was within arm's reach.

They wrapped around her waist, squeezing it uncomfortably.

The pink-haired girl stretched out a hand.

She let out a loud shriek as she was violently jerked back into the woods, rolling on the ground and then lying on her abused back.

Persephone was panting on the forest ground, staring up at the darkness that was starting to engulf her mind. Had she knocked her head on something? No, no. Only her back hurt--and her legs, too. She thought she might have lost the feeling in her legs as the roost receded, knowing she had lost. She had fought valiantly to the end, but she was Plague's now.

Sky blue eyes closed as the girl took a moment of repose before Plague came to collect her.

"Well, Persephone...you tried your best," she told herself.

Persephone Williams

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Plague left her there in the darkened copse for a few minutes while he prepared the lounge-styled room in his lair for a guest, starting a small fire and setting out a bottle of wine. He was nothing if not a welcoming host, no matter his plans for the morsel he had ensnared. Besides, he had quite a taste for washing down the emotions of those he fed upon with an equally full-bodied vintage port.

His boots crunched the underbrush as he approached, looking down at the girl with that one yellowed lantern of an eye, laughing softly, "Well, you certainly made a respectable effort, my dear, but you seem rather tired..."

He extended his hand, offering to lift her to her feet, "Now... wouldn't it have been so much easier to simply come with me in the first place? To think, all of this fuss to adjourn with me anyway... It makes you question the intelligence of this little game on your part, doesn't it?"

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:43 pm

"Oh, shush you. Admit it. You had fun."

Far from being a sore loser, Persephone was still a bit miffed that she had lost. Ah, well. She had lost the game, far and square; there was no point in crying over spilt milk.

At least he's not going to turn me into a goblin, the girl mused as she took the offered hand to pull herself up. She remembered an old movie she used to watch as a child, although she faintly remembered that the heroine won in the end.

"Easier, yes, but it wouldn't have boded well for my conscience if I had just given up just like that," she mentioned, dusting herself off nonchalantly, as if she wasn't going to be ravaged by some stranger soon. Persephone was taking everything rather well, as if another personality had taken over the wild and relentlessly stubborn side of her. Or, perhaps, this was the flipside of that same stubborness--pride. Either way, she was doomed.

"A promise is a promise. I shall follow you to wherever it is we're going."

Persephone Williams

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:51 pm

"Well, normally it would take quite a while to reach our proposed destination on foot, but as luck would have it, the forest is still with us," he laughed, a hand on her shoulder, not really worried about her running. After all, if she would have made it, he would have let her go. Fair is fair. He expected the same courtesy in return.

"Kohryu... a little help, my friend,"
he called out.

The trees stiffened and shifted again, opening up a long, straight path before them that seemed to lead directly to the base of the mountain. The wind whistled down the lengthy alley and nightfall seemed almost imminent.

"Let's hurry on, shall we? Night is closing in with a surprising haste and I don't savor the thought of having to fight off another of my ilk for exclusive rights to you, dear," he extended his arm outward welcomingly as he led on.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:41 am

The forest split before them like the Red Sea before Moses; it was a rather awe inspiring sight. It was also quite unatural as well, since Persephone couldn't feel the forest at all. The trees felt quiet and dead and it made her shiver a little.

Plague's voice brought her back to reality and she stared a moment at the offered arm. She nodded slowly, barely catching what he had said to her. It was time for them to go now and she wrapped an arm around his. And she followed him.

The scene was quite a mockery to the imagery of a gentleman and lady that they both tried to represent. But, in a way, it was perfectly what had been done in the time in Victorian England. Girls were often given against their will to proper gentlemen f prestige...Although, Persephone doubted that she would be proposed to after all was said and done.

She was, to put it simply, quite nervous and a bit scared.

"Well, we wouldn't want that," Persephone remarked. "I think I'd had enough excitment for the next little while."

Pretty soon she would be experiencing another kind of excitment altogether.

Persephone Williams

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:38 am

He checked the hooked claws of his nails, rubbing them up against the canvas material of his coat, buffing them to an obsidian sheen that glinted in the dying light, the material of his nails certainly something alien with that strange shimmer it took on, "I'm quite confident in my ability to fight them off, of course, evisceration was always a specialty of mine..."

That much was true, it was practically what those bladed nails were made for, in fact. He had staked his claim to this girl for the evening and come hell or high water he would be adequately compensated for the trouble he had gone through. Fair is, to beat a dead horse, fair.

"However, the thought of actually putting any real effort forth this evening is so... distasteful..."
he sighed as they reached the clearing before the entrance to his home, the wildflowers in this field singing to Persephone in a voice both beautiful and terrible. They were cared for tenderly but many a girl had emerged from the cavern, stumbling through this field in shock and horror and the emotional stains ran as a frightful undercurrent.

"You seem to be distressed at the state of the forest, little one. Allow me to put your mind at ease," he snapped his fingers once more and the torrent of screaming yellow energy fled the trees, returning them to their proper equilibrium, the current flowing around the pair and into the cave before them in a fierce wind.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 am

"Sounds pleasant," Persephone noted wryly. Perhaps it was the loss finally catching up to her, but it seemed like she was in quite a bad mood. She wasn't feeling petulant or obnoxious in manner, but she was a lot more reticent. At least, it would seem so right until the forest was released from the demon's control and the voices of the trees once again assaulted Persephone's sensitive supernatural senses. It was like someone had suddenly turned the volume on during a loud heavy metal concert after it had been muted for so long. The flowers at the entrance of Plague's lair had been loud, but not as loud as the voices of the trees.

She was glad to hear the living voices of those who could not normally speak, even if she had a bit of a headache after the forest was released. The pink haired student nearly swooned, but caught herself before commiting something highly embarrassing. Her grip on Plague's arm became more firm though.

On a whim, Persephone kissed one of Plague's bandage covered cheeks.

Blushing a bit, possibly in irritation, she quickly explained herself.

"Let it be said that Persephone Williams always keeps her word and shows her gratitude when appropriate," she stated.

She cast her eyes to the entrance in front of her, ignoring the singing blooms around her. They had beautiful voices after all--perhaps even more beautiful than the flowers she had grown herself, but she felt the woe they had witnessed over time.

Persephone Williams

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 am

Plague stood agape. That was... odd. He stopped in his tracks, the girl actually dragging him forward in a stagger step for once. It seemed as though his normally quite-competent mind had run into a critical error and needed time to reboot. He shook his head quickly, falling back into step next to her.

"I can't... you just... You know, my neice is the only other person to ever have done something like that. Ever. In near two-thousand years," he says in near astonishment, "Okay, well no, my mother too, but... well, you know the phrase 'a face only a mother could love,'" he laughs, seemingly talking more to himself than her, finally getting back into his rhythm, picking back up on his mental tracks as they descended into the cave.

Kohryu greeted the pair near the habitable part of the cavern, wearing their normal garb of ancient armor, "Hello, sir, Miss Persephone. You might recognize us as the crows and the trees," they said with a deep bow.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:02 am

Persephone was almost as stunned as Plague was--mainly from almost falling forward when her 'companion' stopped in his tracks after her kiss. Regaining her composure and footing, the young woman blinked those wide sky blue eyes in confusion at the bandaged demon. They widened a fraction further when he pretty much announced that he hadn't had a kiss on the cheek like that in a loooong while. Aside from his niece and his mother, apparently.

As they entered the cave, the young woman considered his words, while also keeping track of where she went. The girl had a near perfect memory--a photographic memory, but only when the camera was loaded as her sister would say--and would like to know which way was out when it came time to leave...if she could leave. That thought left a sour feeling in her stomach, but she perked herself up with the thought that Plague seemed to be a person of his word. He did say he'd take her back to her dorm when all was said and done.

"Sometimes...gratitude is best shown through action, rather than words in the air," she stated when they entered the habitable part of Plague's home. It was...a lot more cozy than she had expected. Odd, for sure, but truly not so bad. Somehow, she imagined something akin to a home the Marquis de Sade would have bene proud of. Koryu made hismelf known and Persephone had no idea what to say, really.

"Umm....Hello," she greeted, a bit awkwardly. Not knowing what else to say, she simply added on with an equally awkward, "I like your armor. Were you once a warrior?" Laughing a bit nervously, she turned to Plague to make a comment on his home as well.

"And your home is amazing. It's truly unique," she said.

A pause.

"So...um...Now what?" she inquired, embarrassed with herself. Her cheeks blushed the same color as her hair and she looked at the ground, wondering what she should be doing. Was it really ok to let this all happen? Ah, well, she had made a promise. It was just so...odd. And surreal...Was this really happening? Good god, she hoped she wasn't going into a fit of hysteria now of all times.

She took a steadyign breath. Don't freak out now, Persephone Williams!

Persephone Williams

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 am

"Actions, words, simply terms for two different types of language. One has no more intrinsic worth than the other, I'm afraid. In fact, I've found that speaking something aloud often invokes a more powerful response than an action, prone to misinterpretation, can bring..." he trails off, feeling himself getting a little philosophical as they descend into the earth.

"Forgive my rambling, sometimes I feel I'm far too infatuated with the sound of my own voice," he laughed, listening her compliment the much more hospitable core of his haunt.

"Now? Why now we drink. We attend to such pleasantries before addressing the necessary evil of my feeding. Though that's not to say I won't enjoy every moment of it, but I do sympathize..."

He led her into the lounge by a guiding hand. There were two comfortable if a little ragged chairs arranged around a table with a bottle of wine and two glasses. A fire licked at the logs arranged with it in the rough-hewn fireplace behind them. Kohryu bowed out and left, leaving them alone.

"Please, dear, take a seat."

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next