View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Crate (for Tatiana) 

Post The Crate (for Tatiana)
Sand reigned up from where the volley ball hit. Then more from Brie a millisecond later when she landed, executing an unsuccessful dive. The other girl had been slightly younger and in a few of Tatiana's classes. She got to her knees, gazed at Tatania through the net then stood up dusting off her knees.

"Well, that's game. What is that, Ana? Three games in a row? I need a br-"

Brie went silent looking beyond Ana know. She hesitated for a moment until Ana say what she was looking at. A ship coming into view. It was traveling closer to the island but turning to keep parallel with it as it traveled.

"Now that's something you don't see here everyday. I always thought that the island was removed from shipping lanes or was remote enough where commercial ships didn't come near."

But the ship was not real. Aegir was nearby and conjured it, a simple illusion on his part to draw the attention of the girls though he was still in the initial stages he knew that he had to make things interesting for the pair, which he would soon enough.

Character Listing

Summoned or not, the god will come.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:39 am

Post Re: The Crate (for Tatiana)
Ah, always had loved a little sport on my free time, and this girl had invited me so I didn't see a reason to refuse. She was a good girl, sweet, friendly, playful. I hadn't left in just a bikini, I didn't feel like getting salt all over me so I wore a simple t-shirt and some jean shorts that went to my knees.
“não importa Brie, long as it's fun it couldn't matter less right?”
when she paused I moved around the net to her side kneeling beside her with a paper fan in my hand, in fact I kept a small card holder at my hip full of paper at almost all times. She mentioned a ship and I looked out for just half a second before I'd shrug slightly.

“Eh, who cares, maybe it just got lost, people aren't perfect.”

with a bit of a smile and wink I reached to my hair and adjusted it a little before tightening the strings to the bikini I was wearing under my shorts, didn't want to be left in the dust if something happened and I needed to swim and calcinha molhada são brutas!

“so what do you want to do while you take a break, Hmm Brie?”

I couldn't help but glance to my bag, it had about 4lbs of novels in it and I REALLY hoped she'd want to maybe take a nap so I could just sorta let her oversleep and read on the beach all night until I passed out... if I passed out, I'd stayed up for three days straight reading a series of novels at least four times before so, chances were she'd be breaking me out of things at like ten at night.

Tatiana Azevedo: Bibliophile, Paper mistress & holder of the gift of gab

Raven, magus of life

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 am

Brie looked towards the ship, her hand going to her brow to shield out the light as she looked at it and inadvertantly the crate bobbing in the water beside it. Either the crew didn't notice or didn't care that a container had fallen into the ocean since no one was fishing it out. She figured the former rather than the later, it made more sense that way to her but after watching for a second and wondering upon the little mystery she broke her gaze from it and looked back to Tatiana.

She had no mind reading qualities though having analyzed the possibilities open to her. Truth be told she had been a little exhausted from volleyball and while she did ponder swimming for a bit but had been too weary for that. Rather than doing that she looked towards her bag then back.

"Some sunbathing for the time."

She went to the bag and dug out a towel that she laid down on the sands before laying out upon it.

It was half an hour or so of reading for Tatiana when that crate finally washed up on the beech, the thing was wood with several holes in it and a single arrow upon it pointing up. One would have imagined that the front of the crate had been nailed shut but it wasn't rather it slide up and down and was set into a grove.

At this point Brie had her eyes closed to keep out the harsh light but had still been conscious at this stage.

Character Listing

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

It didn't matter to me at all the crate, though I'd noticed it and noticed that she had been staring at it like it was god. All that I really care about was what Brie decided to do, and sun bathing was good enough for me.
”Sunbathing? Alright, have fun with that I'll be by that tree reading if you need me, depois menina!”
I moved to the tree, it wasn't too far from where brie was laying down. I leaned up against it with a little smile as I cracked open one of my books from my bag, it was the third time I was reading this book and it was really starting to make sense in every way to me. While I read though my idle hands moved to my paper holster and took out several sheets, a small pile of amazingly realistic origami began to form at my side as time passed.
When I finally glanced up and saw the crate had washed up I had pile of about sixty different origami animals, had used only a sixth of my paper supply though. I looked to brie and called to her.
Menina ! That crate washed ashore if you're interested!
I was loud enough to wake the dead just in case she'd been sleeping. At that I went back to my book and my hand moved to the paper at my side and it began to neatly unfold itelf and return to my holster.

Raven, magus of life

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Aegir was patient when he hunted. He had no qualms about spending days on a project if he was interested enough as he was now. It had been his doing, conjuring up the illusion of the ship into their minds and the crate of course.

Slowly, every so slowly the crate came in with the tide so that it's movements seemed natural. What Tatiana had not realized was that he was in the branches of the very tree she had selected, leaning her back against it as she read she was close enough for him to drop down upon her or for him to dangle his tentacles down to grasp her.

He did neither though, that was too easy and too boring. He wished to have a little fun first, at least that would make things a little more interesting for him.

His pigment was a green color better to blend in with the leaves though a portion of his mind was focused on the zoo of paper animals that had been forming. It was unusual ... something he had not encountered before though it seemed akin to telekinesis of some sort. He tapped into her mind, learning more about that particular talent even as he drudged though the memories of both girls to learn more about their pasts and what he could do ... ah, he hit upon something almost at once and hence a few modifications he made to his illusion, they were far enough away from it at this stage that they would not notice the addition of air holes in the thing from where they had been on the beach, not without enhanced vision anyway.

Brie poked her head up, first looking at Tatiana then at the beach where the crate had washed up on shore. She stood up, stretched and thanked the other, though she seemed to be in no particular hurry as curiousity drew her forth to check out the crate.

She looked at it, walked around it, then tried to peak through one of the air holes. She immediately stepped back then approached again looking into it. She stepped back, shouting to Tatiana. "Hey! There's something inside here, I don't know what is it but it's moving around."

Character Listing

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I was still more interested in my book than the crate that my classmate was looking at. What could possibly be important in a box... if it was books they'd already be completely ruined by the water anyway... and at this school I didn't have anything to salvage the poor things with anyway.
I heard Brie call me and peeked up from over my book at the crate and her. I shrugged faintly standing and stretching just a little bit. I knew she probably expected me to come over and take a look so why not indulge her right?
”something moving around huh? Woulkd be nice to see an animal for once round here, I miss all the birds from brazil... damn trees here have nothing for the poor things to eat anyway. Should probably just leave it here and tell someone...”
That was my input on it as I moved to the crate looking around it a bit, I was a little curious about what was in there but, danger was never my favorite thing in the world, even if I knew I could handle it with my little power.
”Betcha wanna look inside though huh?”
a little smirk to my friend now, I'd open it if she wanted me to, then of course she'd get to see my little skill first hand if I needed to.

Raven, magus of life

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Some kind of animal by the looks of air holes in the surface of the crate as Tatiana moved around it and inspected it. There was certainly something inside, she could hear it moving in there against the wooden floor. Flashes of pink were visible though the air holes though they were much too small to make out any real details.

Brie considered for a moment thinking over the words of her companion. "You're probably right, someone at the school could call animal control and get it relocated, the egology here can't support much I would say, I haven't seen much in the way of wild life. Come to think of it I haven't seen any since being here. Still ..."

She debated, obviously curious as most beings would be. She came to a decision. "It's best to know what we're dealing with in order to better report what we have found. Do you think it's dangerous though? Could we get it back in the crate if we take it out or can we manage to open it enough to see inside without taking it out?"

Brie asked a series of questions thinking a few steps ahead as she debated the issue presented before them.

Character Listing

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Thought about it for a few moments smiling before i'd keen down to pick up a couple of rocks. Was a good enough Idea I had.
“We could jus' break a hole in the crate big enough to look in but, too small for anything to get out, they wouldn't put something tiny in such a big crate so I'm sure it'll work
I winked a little as I moved to the crate with the single rock taking a piece of paper from my side without letting her see as I moved to the box with both the sheet of paper and the rock I looked for some sort of weakness in the wood and didn't see one xcept for the air holes themselves. So I did what anyone would do, I took the rock and began to expand an air hole a bit, even if it was slow, it was the least likely to smash the box, I coulda kicked it but, I wasn't stupid!
”This could take a lil' bit Brie, so if you have a better plan do tell me please!”
I didn't like manual labor even if I could do it, I was a literary buff not a physical buff.

Raven, magus of life

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:23 am

Brie pondered for a second before smiling. "That's probably safest," she said though she seemed clueless as to how to go about things other than pure physical might. She thought it over a bit, shook her head to say that she couldn't think of anything then stepped aside as she came forth.

She was watching over her shoulder. The crate was particularly sturdy but some work upon the air hole did allow her to widen it by scrapping away chunks of wood. The first few pieces had been the toughest though the proceeding wood came up easier as she widened a hole in which to look through.

When she had been satisfied with her work she was able to peer inside, a yellow eye the size of a quarter was staring at her and as she let her gaze peer through the interior of the crate she discovered that the sole occupant of it was a bird. A flamingo, a pink flamingo to be specific. Currently it was studying her as much as she was watching it, then after a moment shifted closer to the hole showing no fear and giving her the impression that it was probably use to humans, a zoo animal?

It's beak tried to press through the expanded hole, it nipping softly with it as if it were looking for food.

Character Listing

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:18 am

I definitely hadn't expected to see a chilean flamingo in the box when I finally had enough light to peek into the box. I couldn't help but rub my only tattoo just a bit with a small chuckle as it poked it's beak out for a nibble before I accidentily spoke to it in what sounded like a series of clicks and squaks the perfect copy of a flamingo's sound, which was exactly what I was speaking in... I was speaking in flamingo... yeah I definitely sounded nuts
<”Now what on earth are you doing here you cutie pie? Sorry buddy, I don't have any food for you though. Do you want out of that box? If you promise to be a good bird i'll let you out to stretch your legs!”>
I told it confidently before turning to look to Brie whom probably looked kinda freaked out at me like I was some nut job.
”Flamingo in a box, really pretty one too, just like my tattoo.”
I smiled offering a gentle cant of head to her like I hadn't just spoken to a flamingo in flamingo talk. I did hope she might think I was just trying to calm the bird down, I didn't need her telling the school I could talk to and understand animals... or in any language ever spoken anywhere, that would lead to questions and tests and a whole lot of other headaches that my reading schedule just wouldn't allow if I planned to finish any of my books this month.

Raven, magus of life

Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 am

Brie of course was a firm believer in Arkham's razor, the simplest explanation being the truth. Thus it was easier for her to believe that her friend was just making a series of clicks and squaks, which was odd of course but she figured she was claming the bird, she saw the beak press out of the crate and while that was not enough to ID what type of bird it was until she was told of course, it was enough to explain the clicks.

She relaxed, probably thinking that the animal was harmless. It wasn't a bear or tiger, of course the crate was too small for that.

"What should we do? Tell someone about it? Is it flightless?" She seemed to honestly not know, or not be learned up on typical flamingos making it quite obvious that she had never been to a zoo before, how else would she not know unless she was thinking that it was a wild bird and didn't know if they possessed flight in the wild.

The flamingo answered in return though, with a series of clicks of his own as his questing beak withdrew into the crate. If you would be so kind. I have traveled quite away in this crate, being shipped I gathered from what the featherless ones were saying to some place called the Bronx. I've been moved about in the past and assumed that it has another zoo.

It's head pistoned about, regarding the small crate as if searching for an exit that it could not see.

Character Listing

Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I nodded slightly, thought i'm sure brie thought I was nodding to her. Sweet girl she was.
”Well, since it's in a box, I'm going to guess it's a zoo animal so it's wings are probably clipped as per common procedure to keep them from leaving the habitat. And on such a large island I doubt anyone would find it or know to blame us for releasing it, and I bet It'll head back home when it's feathers grow back sooo I'm sure it couldn't hurt to release it.”
the manual for the Jardim Zoológico do Rio de Janeiro was a pretty interesting read when I was six and I still remembered bits and pieces of it. The bird also wanted to be released so why not rationalize what I was about to do.
I looked about the box for a few moment taking a breath before I finally stretched and slammed my foot into the junction between the front cover and the rest of the box. It jerked it forward enough for me to simply pry off the front, nails in wood sure couldn't stop a smart strong girl like me from getting in!
I smiled to Brie and then moved to the bird kneeling infront of it with a simple smile my hands on my thighs.
<So you're free, just try not to be seen too much kay? The other humans around might get mad and ship you back to the zoo, just let your feathers come back and get out of here when you can fly again.>
I was comforted knowing no one else could talk to the bird, wouldn't be able to follow this to me or Brie.

Raven, magus of life

Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

It all sounded reasonable to Brie, who nodded sharply at her words. She helped with the crate when the front became loose and stared as the pink bird hopped out of the crate to the warm sands, yellow eyes taking in all the new details as his flexible neck cranned this way and that, though for the most part he seemed to focus on the forest a distance away, He could see the tree where Tatiana had sat until recently, but was looking beyond that point where the trees thicked.

Brie drew closer as well, only now mimicing the sounds her friend was making to calm the bird. Of course she had seemed oblivious to the fact that the two were actually communicating.

Ah, yes, yes I understand senioretta. But I must profess that I am not accumulated to this place. Where do the people reside so I know where to avoid? Is there any place in which I may seek shelter close to a source of food?

The bird asked inquisitively. He flapped his wings, not to fly but to stretch them out after being confined to that crate for as long as he had it was the equivalent of a person in similar straights stretching.

Character Listing

Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

<”well, stick to the forests and river or lakes, I'm sure I heard of some around on the island, like a water fall. It isn't that big an island but, a lot of students avoid the forest because of stories so I hear. Should be plenty of algae and larva.”>
I laughed faintly petting the bird's head softly as I got to my feel again wuith a bit of a stretch looking to brie.
”Alright, that's my good deed for the day I think. Did you want to do anything else brie?”
I asked deciding to flop down to sitting in the sand. Bad idea, hot sand burnt my leg a little and I yelpped, might be strong, and quick and smart but, doesn't mean I always think before I act.
“I have to think before I do sometimes, could've ripped my favorite denim shorts like that.”
A little laugh finished my thought as I waited for brie to speak.

Raven, magus of life

Fri May 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Brie giggled more at the reaction then anything else. She pondered the question for a second, hand going to her chin as she thought. Then her gaze went back to the bird, amazed that it had allowed Tatiana so close to touch it.

She cautiously moved forward and was amazed that the flamingo did little save for cocking it's head and looking in her direction before it allowed contact with it's feathered head. She smiled at it, and was obviously thinking about the bird.

Of course there was no doubt that she was considering various options with the bird. "Well, we can't stay here. If we do then someone might chance upon the crate and start asking too many questions. But we have to figure out what we want to do with the bird. Do we just let it go off by itself? Try to keep it somewhere? Tell someone about it? Of course we could always lie and say that the crate was damaged when it washed up allowing the flamingo to get free but sky's the limit.

"I'm up for anything really, it's fairly obvious that we can't stay here though unless we want to draw questions to ourselves."

As she spoke the flamingo took a few steps closer to the distant forest as if seeing something their with it's keen vision and moving forward for a closer look.

Character Listing

Sat May 07, 2011 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next