View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera) 

Post Re: All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera)
Saira looked deeply wrongfooted at that. Was even feeling a little 'betrayed', for some definition of betrayed that never quite implied they were initially together for it to be a betrayal. So maybe just being upset at being used. "Most such people don't go from a position of... ostensible trust to not do that, even the basic one of one's word. There's a... ...system? In place." Saira admitted, mostly looking embarrassed, but also a bit (maybe even significantly) upset that she was so easily made to look stupid. "Obvious enemies, like those who are just stubborn, or those who are definitively wrong but yet resist properly-backed worth... I don't care about their opinions. Someone who states they want to help me and has continually tried to get me not to fear them for their position..." She trailed off, mostly because she somehow got a near-sixth-sense feeling that going into language about 'needs to please' might paint her as even 'weaker' than before.

And the way Saira felt right now, it was clear that, intending to help her out of them or not, Vera was quite willing to poke at her weaknesses rather than merely show them. It was making her uncomfortable.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:30 pm

It took Vera a moment to piece together what Saira was trying to say. "I am not sure why you are bringing up trust, Ms Nejem. I was speaking of presenting yourself before fellow Archaeologists. Whether you trust them or not is irrelevant, they are the people you must convince that your findings are right. Merely saying their thoughts do not matter because you do not trust them or are not friends with them means none of your findings will ever get published or recognized in your academic field. I am sure you do not want that."

"While trust is important in friendship, there is no way to gain that trust short of speaking with the person and only then can you learn about them. First impressions are everything which is why I mentioned presenting yourself better and with confidence. I am certain you wish to ensure every first meeting with new possible friends is a positive experience. I can help with that further if you wish."

"I am concerned about your term 'obvious enemies' though. It implies you will only surround yourself with those who agree with you which is self defeating when no one is there to challenge you with different ideas. I mean, you seem to react rather negatively to the fact that someone can enjoy life while maintaining a level of discipline and composure. Do not worry, you have not displeased me. I have actually enjoyed our conversation and I apologize if this is making you uncomfortable. As this was a meeting set by you, you may end it at any time. But if you stay, I am more than willing to speak with you further, Ms Nejem. I find your company most pleasant."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:48 pm

"I'm, aheh, not entirely sure where I was going with some of that either? I guess that's just how conversations go sometimes." But she smiled a bit at the comment of her company being pleasant! "I imagine it is, if only because you won't get many opportunities for interesting conversation, given the reputation even I ended up getting just because of how your position is described. I have to wonder, though, if you have any interests that you've not had chances to talk about lately...?"

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:03 pm

"You do not give yourself enough credit," Vera reassured the woman, "Just because you may not agree with what I said does not mean the exchange was not a positive one. How often I get visitors does not change my view of this conversation. And you are a new student, you have a clean slate as far as your reputation goes."

"My focus is business and computers mostly," the Head Girl answered the student's question, "But I do read old texts from time to time. I generally do not get much time for myself due to my position. But, this is your appointment, Ms Nejem. You may talk about anything you wish. If I can provide feedback, I shall. Otherwise, I can be a good sounding board for you."

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:04 am

"Ahh... Though really, while some might question the 'and computers' as if excited to discover a daring double-major or the like... It makes sense. A smart businesswoman would specialize in computers anyway, due to the increasing usefulness of automation." Saira added a little warmly, actually. She was finally getting some chance to relax again. "I wouldn't call myself specifically interested, but I do use computers more than just casually. No programming or the like, though. Lots of reading online, too - once you filter your sources it isn't so bad?"

But after a diligent little smile, she reclined even further. "But it's good to hear that you do somewhat touch on my field. I'm not quite the specialized linguist for translating old works - I kind of envision myself more as an analyst and cataloguer - but it's still a little within my capabilities." She said, likely as a segue from Vera mentioning reading old texts.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:24 pm

"Even if you were a trained linguist, you will most likely not understand the books I have dabbled in," the silver haired woman replied with a faint smile. The books Vera had in her possession were not written in any common tongue. Her tomes were provided by the school for her to study the arcane arts. With a number of gifted students on the island, having one under their employ seemed beneficial.

"I do not know the details of the roles you refer to," Vera added, "Tell me more about what it is you would like to do in archaeology, Ms Nejem."

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Saira naturally quirked a brow at the mention of a book even a trained linguist wouldn't know about... but decided to let it slide for the moment. "Oh, uh. The analysis I'm talking about is to try to determine what the actual implications of artifacts, sites, and writings are... while cataloging would mean identifying and sorting artifacts by type and nature so they can be processed and figured out. So really, the more... ah, studious positions." A pause... and something of a blush, if only because she thought it sounded childish what she was going to say next. "I admit daydreams about adventure and combing the forgotten reaches of the world were there as a kid, but... I know enough to know it's not that glamorous."

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:41 am

Of course, she did not expect Saira to understand what she meant with her books. Little did the student know that the world is still very much filled with undiscovered wonders. A pity that this student may never have a chance to explore Earth upon graduating but at that point, she will have much bigger things to worry about.

"Nothing is stopping you from doing so," she replied, "Do you really think everything has been found yet? Or that every mystery has been solved? You will never know what you may find unless you go out there and look. And when you do find it, you will have to be ready to present it to the world. I am certain you will find something no one has seen before someday."

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:26 am

"...Thanks for having that much confidence in me, Ms. Matsumoto. I imagine there are many things left in the world to discover, yes. Even if I don't discover them in a particularly rough-and-tumble way, aheh." She was trying to skirt around the issue of talking about people who had watched the Indiana Jones movies at some point and had ideas about archaeology, but mostly because it sounded silly and she communicated it well enough as-is. And who knows. Maybe she'll figure out any number of Shokushu's mysteries?

"In a sense, I'm looking forward to graduation, if only because the kind of 'special attention' coming here seems to imply - fancy finishing school-style university on an isolated island - would mean I probably have something to prove." Like the mystery about what her graduation means. That's one she needs time to figure out.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:31 am

"Already in a hurry to leave after arriving, Ms Nejem?" Vera asked with a faint smile, "There is no rush. The special attention as you call it is merely the many opportunities available through Shokushu. Despite our isolation, this university keeps open communication with numerous groups and companies for all fields of study. When you come closer to finishing your degree, the staff here will help prepare your portfolio and resume so you are ready to hit the ground running upon graduation and entering your preferred field of work."

"But do not worry about it for now," Vera advised, "The isolation is to help nullify all distractions. The program here provides everything you need to live your day to day life so you can better focus on your studies."

The Head Girl was silent for a few moments as she considered something before speaking up again. "Perhaps I can show you a small mystery. If you are interested that is. It may not be exactly your preferred topic but it does give a bit of what this school has to offer to those they deem ready for such advanced projects."

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:55 am

"Yeah, I have to admit that expecting things on graduation as a freshman is sort of silly! Too much time left." But not long after that sentence left her lips, Saira suddenly took significant pause at what Vera said next. And even... blinked a few times in surprise. "Mystery... advanced projects? I'm... uh, interested, but with the knowledge that that again sounds a little ominous. ...But it's probably about as ominous as your position probably is, based on what we've talked about so far - that is to say, less than it sounded. So sure!"

Somehow, the narrator feels it appropriate to note that she had no idea what she was in for. ...Even though this narrator doesn't know what's happening either.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:09 am

Vera rose to her feet and walked over to her bookshelf. There were numerous books on the topics she study. But, there were also a few larger and older books which seemed to have no sort of identification on them. She did not really like showing these books usually but, one could never know what an outsider may be able to find out. Chances were that Saira would not even be able to under the text no matter what her supposed background in linguistics was.

She returned to the living area with one of her smallest tomes in hand. She offered it to the student, allowing her to look through it if she liked. The book looked, smelled, and felt old in Saira's hands. The cover had some strange runes but nothing she could really make heads or tails of. It was either a fancy cover or the runes were supposed to be the title. Inside, there were page after page of these strange runes as well as a few diagrams that did not seem to be for any sciences that Saira was familiar with.

"There are always mysteries left to be solved," Vera said. Saira was most likely unaware that she was holding a tome of magic spells. It was all written in the language of magic which even Vera herself did not completely have a full understanding of.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Runes. Saira didn't know the ancient Norse tongue at all, but she had seen it enough to have a passing apprehension. ...and yet. This was different, she realized, flipping through. The runes had a little more flow - not as much as Arabic (which she knew and knew a number of similar 'ancestor' languages that were only as hard as another dialect of it) - and seemed more elaborate. ...Maybe an ideogram language? (Chinese, Japanese...) She furrowed her brow a little while reading - or, well, staring at runes. But the diagrams...

Saira was an avid consumer of media back in the day, let it be known. Fantasy, science-fiction, historical fiction, the works. So there was something naggingly familiar about the book's diagrams. If it weren't for the apparent age, she'd have dismissed it as complete bullshit. But it had the weight of ages, the subtle odor of arrested decay in its pages. It began to dawn on her what this actually was. ...But that revelation was filtered by her limited reading about Anthropology, rather than an ability to believe anything preposterous if it was made true.

"This. ...Is this supposed to be an old tome of magic? ...Not that I think magic is real, but given the spiritualism of alchemy back in the Medieval period it's plausible someone wrote about it anyway..." Her brow furrowed a bit. "Almost reminds me of the Voynich Manuscript - written in no known language, talking about outlandish things. Like a Medieval RPG-book. But really, those diagrams... They look like something I'd expect in a fantasy novel."

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Though magic tended to vary slightly with every culture, it was difficult to say if the runes were Norse at all. If the language of magic could be similar to a common human language, translating would be far easier.

Still, Saira's reaction and response was to be expected. People do not generally believe in magic, thinking it is all fantasy and fairy tales. Of course, Vera would easily prove its existence with but a few quick incantations. But, that was not the purpose of this. She just wanted to show Saira and see her reaction and how she handles this.

"Is that your analysis, Ms Nejem?" Vera asked, giving no hints to the woman whether she was on the right track or not.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 am

"It's the best I can do. Despite being termable as 'runes', that writing is largely unlike any known language. Either something drastically new to the conception of history exists... or it's a constructed language like they suspect Voynich's is. But I can't completely judge with such little experience. So that's my analysis - for now." Saira said as much, almost seeming pleased despite her very tentative words. But she pursed her lips, and for a moment, had a flash of insight - as if remembering something.

"I'm to take it this is only the start of the proverbial rabbit-hole: That there's something more either you have, or is around on this island. ...Isn't there?"

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next