View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Trial Drug (for Vera) 

Post Re: Trial Drug (for Vera)
Nix didn't know how Vera knew, nor would that factor into these crazy hours. She gave it a brief bout of thought. Naked and unarmed she glanced about for anything that she could use as a weapon. In the dark it was hard to distinguish between these shapes. The trees were more alive here and finding a branch was tougher. Even snapping one off a tree if she were able to reach it would have been difficult.

Vera felt her fear and hunger. Nix looked toward the fruit unable to tell what it was from this distance. Should she get closer she might have been able to identify it. Hunger won out over fear as she debated to herself in those few seconds.

“I'll go check it out. Keep back and if anything happens, well ...” Nix didn't know all of her magical abilities but figured those light attacks would be useful. After all it wasn't as if she could cover Vera and she knew that the two of them needed food and rest.

Creeping closer Nix moved with care. It was slow going but she made good progress. The noise was kept to a bare minimum. If it were heard at all one could mistake it as an animal in the underbrush. Hopefully there were animals in this part of the forest. The wolf would not cross over to this side. Was that the scent of the troll earlier or something more insidious? There had to be something in the goblin part of the forest to sustain those creatures. Neither had been there long enough to take in all the flora and fauna in those parts..

There was no change in the emotions of whatever was out there. Thus far Nix went unnoticed though Vera could feel the rising anxiety in Nix. Finally it gave way to joy. Nix identified the fruit as edible, that was the most logical explanation. That and Nix still making her way to the fruit.

She hesitated, looked around then began picking. As she did Vera felt a shift in the air. Something magical. It didn't feel like a ward or alarm. Words flowed into her mind, a phrase she could not understand if it was a language at all. Once the effect was triggered she felt something from whomever was out there. Curiosity. It was getting closer though she could not detect any movement herself.

Should she remain silent the being would continue it's approach to Nix. If she made an alarm or cast a spell it would come in her direction. The curiosity growing as it grew close though it move fast there was nothing to see until it was virtually atop them. There was movement in the shadows at the outskirts of her vision. The thing stopped once there, watching for now. The emotions she felt were chiefly from Nix. Panic if alerted, jubilation at her find if not. From the creature she felt that curiosity. Not hunger. Or even lust. The darkness hiding their nakedness for now.

There was other movement around them. So subtle it was nearly missed. In fact if she wasn't attuned to magic she may have missed it. A faint emanation radiated around them just prior to this shifting movement. For the time being they were watched. The being keeping far enough away not to be seen but close enough to hear them should they raise their voices. The shifting movement around them stilled in a few seconds though Vera could sense a faint magical aura all about.

Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:50 pm

After all Nix had seen, asking how or why of anything involving Vera would take far too much time and not help their current predicament. Whether the woman thought she was being used as bait or not was irrelevant. One thing was certain, they would not have gotten this far without Vera's powers and decisions. Without any physical weapons, the silver haired woman was their only hope of defending themselves. If anyone was going to delve into the unknown in hopes of bounty, it would have to be Nix.

"I'll do what I can..." Vera reassured the woman. Whether she had the power to back it up was not something she wanted to find out. Fatigue and starvation may hinder her abilities to the point of being less reliable. She could summon another light which dispel the mystery within the darkness and shadows. But such a light may as well been a beacon calling every predator in the forest.

The Head Girl watched Nix move towards the fruit. Nix was able to identify the fruit as at least edible. Whether they will regret eating this unknown food later was unknown. Nix was eager to start gathering and hopefully bring a share back for Vera.

Unfortunately, that was not the only concern as Vera felt something in the air. She tried to follow the movement in the darkness. Attacking or casting a light now would immediately alarm whoever or whatever this was. For now, it did not seem to be attacking them. She was uncertain what this magical energy was or if there were move watching from the shadows.

For now, Vera would slowly approach Nix. If they do need to flee again, they should at least keep close. "Just take enough to keep going..." Vera warned, "We can't carry much."

Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:33 am

As Vera moved forward she found that the vegetation was hindering her. It as as if it were alive, well in the sense of being animate. Blades of grass, branches and other vegetation caressed her ankles or brushed up against her sides. But it did not halt her progress. It slowed it but far less than the muck had.

She felt more of that faint magical aura from the surrounding foliage. As it made contact with her she felt it spark up briefly. Some sort of spell enchanted the vegetation. She felt as if it could do more. The spike in intensity from the portions she made contact with may have been someone or something controlling it.

Their audience still watched on silently.

With a bit of care given the darkness she made her way to Nix's side. She had four pieces of pear shaped fruit. The color was impossible to tell but as she was handed two of them Vera could feel the skin. It was fuzzy like a peach so it definitely wasn't a pear.

“These are fantastic if I'm right about them. Some weird name I can't pronounce but each can sustain someone for a day. Both food and water.” Nix whispered. Ready to head out now. Her eyes scanning for trouble only noticing the vegetation reacting as she began to move away with Vera. Concerned since no such thing happened on her way toward the tree.

Not attuned to magic as Vera was she had been unaware of what was going on around her.

Words that sounded like a whisper yet clear enough to be heard as if spoken at full volume reached their ears. The tone had a rich musical accent. The words virtually sung rather than spoken.

“Departing so soon? You won't get far in such a state.”
Vera could only feel the one being out there. The other movement had to be the vegetation. She could still feel that magical aura all about them. She could sense it a little farther than she could see so it was only the immediate vicinity.

The being had not moved from where she had last sensed it. Though now along with the curiosity there was also a faint magical aura there that felt a bit different than the one affecting the area around them.

Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:54 pm

Nix claimed the fruits were some sort of super food. Vera was not going to try one until they were out of the potential mess they may be in right now. The nearby vegetation had become animate and could hinder their means of leaving this place. Was the fruits a bait for potential prey?

Whatever it was, their observer decided to speak up and make themselves known. "Won't get far staying here either," Vera replied, "We have been harassed, violated, and chased throughout this forest. If you are yet another to that list, I would prefer you just reveal yourself and get this over with. If this fruit belongs to you, we apologize. We are starving and won't last without some sort of food."

Vera did not channel any of her magic. She rather not reveal anything further of herself than necessary. That meant no light spell to dispel the darkness and see their stalker. The naked and mud-clad beauty decided to use mana sight to try and see what sort of mana and magic was flowing about them. She did not if she could resist or combat whatever this was. But, perhaps she could at least see the attack coming this way.

"We were captured to be sacrifices or slaves," Vera stated, "We are just trying to get far away from those who would want to take us again. If you know a way out of this forest and closer to civilization, we would be grateful. Otherwise, we will be on our way in our current state."

Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Nix attempted to pierce the veil of darkness to see whoever was out there. And to see if they were surrounded at this stage. She didn't have much luck other than seeing the sole figure that was speaking.

“That tree was planted by my family long ago. But we do not claim ownership over it. Feel free to eat of it's fruits but be warned, I do not think that you'll ever taste anything as good for the rest of your days.”

The figure held their ground. While Vera felt the magic all about them nothing changed in it's feel at first. Then the vegetation calmed down. The movements decreased, that aura dimmed to the point that it was barely there. It was as if it were a dimmer light barely on.

“I am sorry to here of your plight. You are safe here. Well, safe if not male. I'm assuming neither of you are one. Your friend has not spoken and I can not tell from here.”

Nix spoke up only to confirm that she was indeed female.

“Good. Good. Not that males are mistreated. Just that they make for some rather complicated situations. If one were with you it would just delay you. Weeks at least. Months or even years at the extreme.

“The goblins will not come here. Their influence is waning and one day in my life I hope to expunge them from this place and heal their portion of the forest. A feat that will take decades to come no doubt.”

The figure stepped out from behind the tree. Hands part way up showing that she was unarmed. From this distance Vera could see a humanoid form a good deal shorter than she was. She took a few steps forward then stopped so as not to spoke them.

If she got closer Vera would discern that she was a head taller than the figure. A curvy shape, large pointed ears, some sort of fae if not a twisted creature of this place. They'd have to get closer to determine what sort or use her light to get a better view.

“True you won't get far staying here. I know little outside this forest. I can tell you where the trails are. There's one back the way you came though I doubt that you wish to return there. Another in the direction you are heading.

“As you are you'll have greater difficulties. More than goblins reside in these woods and there are patches of bad territory. I have not been able to cleanse the entirety of this forest. There are many corrupting influences I have yet to get rid of. A few days perhaps.”

She paused, thinking over something. “I assume you have skills to survive as long as you have judging by the direction you were coming from. I could shorten your journey should you have something to trade. A secret or a service. There's a particularly nasty influence I wish to cleanse but lack the means. I have the means of getting you some basic equipment. Even if you choose not to assist me I will provide you with a few things to aid you on the way.”

Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:42 pm

The plants seemed to calm and were no longer moving. At least they were not being assaulted immediately. The elf or fae woman seemed sympathetic. Any offered food or equipment would put Vera and Nix in better condition. If this place was safe as the fae woman claimed, then perhaps seeking a way out could wait. Getting through the forest was simply to get away from their pursuers and hopefully find civilization. But with no information about said civilizations, there were no guarantees that they would be treated any better.

"Safety would be a nice change of pace," Vera stated, "As for your price, I will have to know more before I could agree to anything. I have no where else to go so if staying here to rest is possible, I would certainly be grateful. I am Vera by the way."

Vera was not sure what providing a secret entailed. But being from a different world, it was doubtful her secrets held any value. It was also too dangerous to give a secret and activate Shokushu's device on her heart. She had no means of verifying its existence but she had no real reason to test it either.

That left performing a service. The forest had its own troubles but it was impossible to guess what the fae expect from two escaped slaves or sacrifices. Vera fought the goblins but it was not exactly something she wanted to volunteer again. Her current survival could very well be just luck and there was no telling how much further her magic could handle the creatures and that troll.

"I will try out these fruits and perhaps we can have a means to wash and clothe ourselves. I doubt our mud-clad forms are appropriate for further conversation. Assuming these services do not ask beyond me, I am willing to help."

Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:08 am

“And I am Nix,” her companion added but otherwise remained silent. Interactions weren't her strong suit. She kept alert for other dangers as good as that did them.

The figure paused for a moment. Though she couldn't see it Vera felt the fae smile. “Humans, so forthcoming with names. True names have power over us fae. You may call me Ova.”

The fae listened. Vera felt her shifting emotions, mostly curiosity, some sympathy. If there was any malice she didn't detect it. During their conversation the plants stilled as her weariness subsided. This could have been some bizarre trick though Ova didn't think so.

Coaxed out into the clear Ova approached. Colors were muted in the dark until a globe of light came out of her hand. It floated above her head illuminating the area around them.

The fruits were a vibrant yellow. The forest looked healthy. The colors were a bit brighter than in her world. And Ova, she was breath taking. Auburn hair flowed half way down her back. Eyes were a deep green. Her features were human overall save for the shape of her eyes and large pointed ears. What Vera saw in picture books as an elf save for those almond shaped eyes.

Ova looked over the two, spoke a strange word and made a casual wave. The muck, mud, dirt and sweat melted away leaving the pair completely nude. Even their scratches and bruises were gone. Ova appreciated what she saw even more now that they were clean. Vera felt the interest for a moment before Ova got back to business. Her curiosity had been sated and now she moved on to assisting the pair in hopes of a bigger exchange later. She was in no rush leading the pair a short way to a larger oak tree. It's diameter great enough that the tree of them side by side had been barely wider than the tree itself.

Ova took their hands and walked straight into the tree transporting them inside or somewhere else. Wherever they were was far larger now. The walls were wood and it appeared that they were inside a hollowed out tree. The area was round and lacked doors though there were a few doorways that lead into other chambers.

Leading them to one Ova brought them into a chamber that had several wooden chests. A weapons rack contained numerous weapons. One held knives and daggers of various types while the other held mostly axes and a few blades. The chests contained various clothes for the most part. All men's clothing of various sizes. Cloaks hung on pegs and lining the walls were all sorts of boots. Most of the clothes looked to be in the fashion of woodsmen, a select few belonged to soldiers. Smaller clothing belonged to goblins though the garments were incredibly clean, they all were.

A few mannequins here displayed simply mail shirts. No damage done to them and like the clothes they were well cared for.

“Take what you wish. I have little use for these things.”

After dressing they could rest and eat. The fruit was indeed filling. Beyond compare to anything she had before.

[color=#000000] “Whatever the case these things are yours now. You may rest here for as long as you desire or leave at anytime by placing your hand on the way and making the intent to leave. However, you won't be able to get back inside without me. Consider it a lock of sorts that only I or those of my type can thwart, not that there are any others around.

The place was well lit despite that globe of light remaining outside if it hadn't winked out of existence yet.

Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:11 pm

Vera was not some sort of summonable being so she was not concerned about providing her name. With or without her name, true or not, her foes would find a means to control her regardless.

The silver haired woman tensed briefly as magic was cast. The dirt and grime their bodies collected in their desperate travels were cleansed away, leaving their naked forms glistening in the light. Vera allowed her hand to be taken and led into the tree. Instead of colliding with a very solid mass, she went inside the tree itself into a hollowed out space. Whether this was the tree's interior or some sort of pocket space was unknown. But it seemed unlikely their pursuers would find them in here.

Hand still held, the two human women were led into a chamber filled with various weapons, clothes, and armor. Vera would not ask where all this was collected from. For now, neither of them seemed to be this elven woman's enemy and they had no belongings to add to these racks even if it were the case.

Vera was uncertain where things would go from here. She was still no closer to returning to where she came from or awakening from whatever dream this was. The silver haired woman grabbed a tunic and leggings for now to wear. It was men's wear so she was not expecting anything to be a perfect fit. She just wanted to restore some semblance of modesty to her life. Boots would be best for traveling but she would not wear them as sleep was something she needed very soon.

A weapon would be good if her magic failed her. But, she was not about to pretend she was some fantasy warrior princess that can just swing a sword with ease. Weapons that required little training or skill would be things such as the crossbow, spears, and knives. The former two were not something she wanted to lug around if she did decide to journey elsewhere. So for now, she grabbed a few daggers and knives to take with her later.

"Thank you, for everything," Vera stated, "I have many questions but I do not think I will be able to remain standing much longer. If there is a place for us to rest that will not hinder you, I will take you up on that offer."

Vera was uncertain if Ova meant that there were other elves but not here at the moment or if she was the only one residing in this place. It was not her place to pry and she was too tired to start asking fruitless questions. The Head Girl would try revealing things about herself tomorrow and see if this elf knew anything about getting her out of this mess. For now though, Vera was practically swaying on her feet and she would no doubt pass out if she kept forcing herself to keep going.

Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:17 am

Nix too was exhausted. They had been through much these last few hours and she was looking forward to some rest. Especially in a place that they needed only to worry about their host. Not that she deemed it necessary to be wary of her thus far. Still, she found it hard to believe that anyone would be so charitable. There was mention of disposing of something in exchange for even better perks.

As she ran over possibilities in her head she had been glad for the simple clothes and being cleaned. She couldn't help but test the wall finding her hand passing through it before pulling it back. Just double checking that they could leave if they wished. That brought more peace of mind to her.

Of course Ova wasn't human so projecting human desires and responses on their host made little sense. So she eventually accepted things until they broke to rest.

Ova lead them away to one of the adjacent rooms. Mounds of vegetation burst through the floor. Ova shaping it, transforming the texture as she did. It took a bit of input. Her only experience had been with animals fashioning nests or mounds to lay down in. She fashioned beds or hammocks for the pair. Summoning forth additional vegetation for support if needed.

Regardless, the vegetation felt springy more like memory foam than twigs and branches. Resting came easy. In moments they were out. Oddly upon waking dreams where forgotten if they had them at all. The place felt tranquil providing excellent rest.

In the morning Ova was gone. When looking for her the oddest thing happened as they entered into rooms they had not been in before. Through the floor vegetation emerged forming tables and chairs. This room was a kitchen. The plants receeded back into the ground when they departed only to emerge again if they went back.

Each room save for the ones with the clothes and weapons looked empty until they entered them. The only one that looked a bit different then the rest had a large depression in the floor. When getting a bit closer the room didn't change other then stairs forming at the edge of the depression. Stairs that lead into a warm pool. Smaller things would be noticed the farther they pressed into the room. Depressions opened in the wall showing off the contents within. All manners of soaps and ointments. Another had towels and other feminine products to pamper one.

Rested, they had time to bath if they wished before Ova returned through the wall. By now Nix had armed herself with a dagger and one of the spears.

Ova had a basket which contained an assortment of fruits along with a few they had the other night.

“There will be no issues with the goblins during the day. The few sentries they have can be avoided easily enough. Essentially their vision is extremely limited in the light just as yours during the night. You have rested well I hope.

“Have you given any thought to assisting me? It is not necessary. Nor am I in a hurry to rush you along. Trust me you won't get tedious with me at least not sooner than a few decades. Time is different to you. To me it hardly matters other than he changing of the seasons.

“Feel free to depart at any time. Though I wish to hire you. The task is extremely dangerous. I will not lie about it. However, I think I can make it worthwhile. I can commune with my sisters and learn more about the regions outside this forest and have a means to speed you on your way making your travels a bit easier.”

She struggled for the right word. The closest she could come though humans had no term for it. “There are demon trees. I believe I mentioned them. Well, demon is the closest word for them. They caused the blight. Systematically my kin and I have been getting rid of them. There are a scant few left but the cleaning ritual takes to long to perform.

“My last human defender perished so may seasons ago. My progress has slowed in recent decades. What I need is protection, maybe. Yes, perhaps a distraction. Something that will give me the time to cleanse the tree. Unfortunately I have to get close for the cleansing to be effective. Alone I am vulnerable to attack. I am too deep in to get much human traffic and the goblins know enough to stay away.”
Ova considered something for a moment.

“How much do you know about trolls?”

Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:53 pm

After all that she had experienced, sleeping on plants was not much different from what the silver haired woman expected to be doing this night. Still, it was at least comfortable and the earthen smell was not too overwhelming. The unfortunate thing was waking up afterwards and finding that she was still in this fantastical world. Sleeping in a dream was not a theory she could really assess. Everything felt real so it was best not to assume things were a dream. That still left the how and why Vera was here in the first place. Despite Shokushu's overall purpose in selling women as intergalactic slaves, they were not so quick to discard useful and already owned assets such as Head Girls.

It was no use. Vera sighed as she got up and walked around the interior of this strange tree. Now that she was no longer fleeing for her life, she could take some time to ask questions. Even if they thought she was crazy or strange, revealing that she is not from this world was for the best. If Ova truly intended to use her, she would need to reveal her ignorance of the most common of this world's knowledge.

The Head Girl would bathe and put on fresh clothes. Nix seemed to have armed herself as well just in case. Ova returned with food and brought up the matter of providing aid once more.

Vera allowed the elf to finish before speaking. "While I wish to repay a favor," the Asian woman began, "I have questions and things I feel I must reveal. While I managed to survive to this point, I may still be woefully inadequate to be your protector. The fact your previous protector has passed only makes me worry that the same awaits me and Nix if she decides to join you."

The silver haired woman brushed long strands of her hair back behind her shoulders. "I assume a troll is the large creature that was with the goblins. But such terms are only known to me through stories of fantasy. I do not know how to explain this but, I am not from here. Where I come from, magic is not common while technology and science tends to dictate the growth of civilizations. I went to sleep one night and woke up in the back of a wagon with Nix and other women."

"I can look up at the stars to see that this is not my world. I do not know how or why I am here. All I know is that the men on the wagon asked about being from an academy. I am not sure what he was referring to and it was apparent they were intending to take me as a slave or sacrifice. So I broke free and fled into the forest, relying on Nix for guidance."

"Not sure how crazy any of this sounds," Vera sighed, "But, no matter how horrible things were back where I am from, I still wish to return to my world. I am willing to help but it is best to reveal that I know absolutely nothing about this forest or anything beyond it. I have just been reacting and surviving to this point."

Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:38 am

Ova listened intently. Vera could sense confusion from Nix. Magic was not her forte. Whereas Ova was more intune with nature magic she was versed in all sorts of theories and ideas. Thus she was more open to concepts of different dimensions and other worlds.

“Trolls, goblins, even humans all have different names here. The benefit of my magic that allows for this communication translates the concepts you're attempting to rely. Just as my words use the concepts familiar to you. At least I'm assuming the words are different since I cannot actually hear what you call them. It would be highly unlikely that our two worlds would have the same terms.”

Unless there was some sort of crossover. Wizards moving between worlds and such. Ova gauged things on what was likely if their worlds developed apart from one another without contamination.

“It has been theorized that one can move between worlds in dreams. Like astral projection in a way. Arcane magic isn't my greatest strength. Magic, from what I've gathered from my prior protectors and those of my kin is rare. Among us Fae it is common. We all have some connection. It's inborn in us. Whereas humans often have to work hard to learn feats our children can do.

“There are some skilled practitioners. The academy? There is one in the area adjacent to this forest. Perhaps someone there could assist you in getting home. Travel between worlds would be more of an arcane thing.

“As far as protector.”
Ova paused for a moment. “Perhaps distraction would be a better word. The tree is infused by a demon. It has the same lusts as one. Very prone to sexual conquest. You can fight it of course, delaying it long enough for the incantation to take affect. You both are attractive and no doubt would catch it's eye so to speak.

“Usually I have a protector that just hacks away at it. Barring that luring the troll close would allow me to enspell him and keep to the formula I've been using. Both avenues are dangerous of course. Neither one may appeal to you. Nor do you have to do either.

“If not I can point you in the direction you will need to go. It will lead to that city with the academy. You shouldn't have to worry about too many dangers if you stick to the path I outline. As I've said before there are demon trees sprinkled about. Your biggest challenge would be others of my kind, finding rest spots and of course nourishment. You can take what you need from here so that last part should be covered. I don't think the others would bother you much. But any lacking protectors may take to attempting to ensnare one or both of you. Unless you have some sort of glamour effect that would make you less attractive.”

Ova was implying that there was far more to this protector thing. Then again Ova didn't seem opposed to taken on the troll as her protector. Nor had she attempted to ensnare either of them. From the emotional impressions she was receiving Nix had reached these conclusions too. She was a bit confused by this, her eyes going wide briefly as Vera felt a spike of fear in her colleague as something clicked within her.

“Wait! You're a – we ate the food – SHIT!”

There was a surge of panic from Nix and mirth from Ova. “Oh, dear. Those tales of not eating the food of the Fae are greatly exaggerated. If I intended to keep you two here I would have done so last night. Now that I've heard your story other humans are likely to come this way if they weren't frightened off already. If they think one of you actually studied at the academy you'd be worth a lot to them. A few days or months go by quickly for me. Thus I will most likely have a chance in obtaining a protector or two. Ones that are more deserving of such a wretched state.”

So this protector thing was definitely a bad thing. At least in the long term. Vera didn't think that these protectors served under their own free will. All the items and weapons must have belonged to prior protectors. If Ova was so long lived countless individuals could have had severed her in the past. Which allowed her to gather quit an assortment of goods.

Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:41 pm

"I cannot say how many will come after us," Vera replied, "But, staying here as 'protectors' seems to conflict with my desire to get back to where I came from. I know nothing of who I may encounter in the future but, I will make an effort to send those deserving in your direction."

Much like the monstrous humanoid they encountered at the river, exchanging their freedom would mean the end of their journey. Ova was at least up front about the dangers staying would entail. If this elf was fine with letting them go, Vera saw no reason to squander such kindness.

The Head Girl bowed her head, long strands of silver hair poured before her shoulders. "Thank you, for both aiding us and sparing us," Vera stated, "I do not know if this academy will be welcoming but it seems to be the only lead I have. I am sure Nix wants to get to a city regardless. And if our pursuers do happen to stumble upon this place, feel free to use them for whatever bait or protecting you like."

Vera brushed her hair back behind her shoulders. "We should depart with what light we have. We will follow what path you provide, Ova."

Assuming Nix was eager to leave, Vera was ready to go. Cleaned, clothed, and armed; they were in better shape than they were when they entered the forest. It was unfortunate the other girls were not so lucky. But the Head Girl could only focus on surviving. The academy was supposedly one of magic. She could only hope the mages there were as accommodating as this elven woman was. Would they listen to her story and try and help her get out of this? All she knew was that astral projection and travel magicks are not something she could cast even without the inhibitors. Who or what sent her here?

Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:50 am

Ova didn't believe that the two would want to endanger themselves further. But she had to ask. The lure of additional assistance could tempt some. However, she only thought they may be receptive if they had the skill. Back tracking and luring the troll here was just as dangerous.

She did not fault them. Patient, she knew that eventually she'd get other protectors. The brave or foolish were the only ones that had come this far into the forest. Now she could add desperate to that list.
“Here.” Making a gesture a sheet of bark rose out of the table. The bark was very flexible as well as soft. Outside of it's appearance it could have been mistaken as parchment. It rolled up like a scroll but before Ova did so she waved her hand in a casual gesture.

Notes of lights danced about settling down on the bark. Burning images and symbols onto it Vera and Nix saw a map being transcribed in mere seconds.

“You are here, You wish to go here. Once there the tower of the academy can clearly be seen atop a distant hill. Between the forest and the city I do not know what dangers await if any. While in this forest avoid these darker areas. At the center of each is a demon tree. These are the major problem areas. There are other threats but outside the goblin territory, which is now behind you to the East, the dangers are mitigated.

“Some of the vegetation has been warped but avoiding those key areas influenced by the demon trees you will be fine. On the boundaries of those areas you might encounter oddities as the influence of the trees spread. It takes significant time, decades for them to gain feet, but be wary of those borders. With this map you should have an easier time. Animals avoid the unnatural areas. So by staying away from those spots will make it more likely to run across them. Most predators remain on the other side of the river where hunting is easier. Even those on this side will not venture into those spots so in a pinch you could run into one. The demon trees are in the center of their sphere of influence and while it is dangerous in those areas when faced with imminent death it might be your only option.”

Ova ensured that the two were prepared for their journey before sending them on their way. Clothed and armed the map provided them with a direction once they got their barrings. The basket of fruit they had would last them at least half a week seeing that they needed to only consume one daily.

Along their way they could forge for food. Nix was good at keeping her eyes out. She knew what was and wasn't edible. To no surprise the healthier portions of the forest yielded the best results. In the spots Ova rejuvenated they felt at peace. The close they got to those danger zones they felt an unease. In other areas it was more sporadic. She could feel that Nix was having the same sensations. It was hard to say if they were being watched by something she could not sense,

The map had no scale. There were spots that showed landmarks. When reaching the second they could estimate distance As far as how long it seemed to take between Ova's and the first then the first to the second, Neither had a time piece but Nix felt confident in gauging the passage of time.

She surmised a week of travel. The forest was big and while they were making better time with footwear it was still slow at times. The only real path would likely be patrolled or watched by the goblins. It would be the first place their human pursuers would search for them. Thus it was better to avoid them.

While the goblin territory was behind them they could not rule out those watching for the approach of trouble from the direction of the path.

Vera found that Nix had plenty of useful skills. She could discern whether or not particular caves were inhabited by animals. Plus she could recognize most of the edible foods. Through simple conversation she learned that Nix lived on a farm on the outskirts of a community. Bandits and other raiders attacked infrequently and her brothers had trained her to defend herself if he worse should happen.

She was trained with spears and knifes. Along with some skills with archery though she'd be the first to admit that her aim sucked and she was barely proficient. Until the goblins, however, she never had to fight. Nix was more interested in learning about Vera. Magic was an interesting thing though if Vera indulged it was quit apparent that she had little understanding about the fundamentals and how it even worked. Almost as fascinating was picking her brain about her world and how different it was. There were things she couldn't grasp.

Nix avoided talk about how she ended up as a prisoner. If the topic ever did come up she felt uneasy about it and changed the subject.

Suffice it to say it was a rather long week. A few times she had to scare off animals that got too close. At others she sensed ambush predators and could avoid trouble spots where things might leap down from tree branches on them. Nix had a knack of finding relatively safe spots as well as enough food for the week. Water was never recall an issue with that stream so close. They had gourds from Ova's place to collect it when necessary. Not needing to weigh themselves down with it until they left the forest.

But at last they left the forest. In the distance they could spot the academy's tower atop a hill. Looking down on a settlement they could not see. A path lead into the forest though on this side an unpaved road lead in the direction they were heading. Perhaps half a mile or so away there was a farm. Odd it being miles from the town and fairly close to the forest.

It was vast. Various farmhands worked the fields. A huge manor and barn could be seen. Another building must have been lodging for the workers. They could see various animals too. From this distance it was tough to tell what they were. A few were horses. Most were smaller.

“With that place so close I wonder why it wasn't on the map.” Had it been that long since Ova left the forest? She certainly didn't have an interest in what was beyond it. Then again with her lifespan being so long the farm could be fairly “new”.

Whatever the case there was no cover from here on out. Any pursuers were likely to use that road. If they managed to get to this point the farm would be the obvious place to check for them or to gt information about them.

“Hm. We can ask for help or sneak by at night if we want to leave less of a trace to follow. I doubt those men will go this far. Nor do I think it would matter if they did. There isn't any other place to head.” Nix assessed the area. As far as she could tell the forest marked the boundary between countries. They didn't have to travel to the academy, not straight away, but other than that farm she couldn't discern the direction of any other locations. The single road sort of cemented that fact.

“We have little so bartering for assistance is probably out. I doubt humans would be as helpful as Ova. Then again, they might not be human … I can't say for certainty from here. Humanoid. Human sized I think.”

Planning wasn't her thing. Nix was more of a follower.

Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:58 pm

Vera thanked Ova before departing on their journey. They had a map and directions to follow which was more than they had before. Food, clothes, and weapons also ensured they were not completely hopeless any longer. Nix even pulled her own weight and showed she was proficient in a number of skills to help in their travels.

The Head Girl did not ask anything about Nix's past. For an outsider like herself, she felt it was not appropriate or useful to pry into such things. All that mattered was they were useful to each other in their continued survival. As for discussing her own past, Vera spoke very little. She could not risk revealing anything about Shokushu. She merely mentioned her world not having as much magic and much of nature had been replaced with large cities and farmlands. She avoided mentioning any technology as that would lead down a rabbit hole that would only cause problems for Nix in the future if she were to speak openly about such topics.

Every morning the silver haired woman woke up, she was disappointed. There was always the chance she could wake up back in Shokushu. As dangerous and unpleasant that island was, it was a place she was at least familiar with and had some influence in. In this world, she was just a fish out of water. She was not willing to accept whether this was a dream or if she was spirited away. So, she had to continue as if both were possibilities.

Days turned into just over a week. If Vera was spirited away, was Shokushu making any efforts to find and retrieve her? She was the Headmaster's property. She did not think her master would be willing to give up a Head Girl. Then again, perhaps someone or something provided a price that not even Shokushu or the Headmaster could refuse. Considering the situation Vera woke up in, she could not see the school selling her off to mere primitive thugs and brigands. Unless this was done for another's amusement...

Getting out of the forest was welcoming. Though there was still the danger of human slavers taking them again, it was far less terrifying than dealing with goblins, trolls, mud monsters, or anything else in that forest. Signs of farmland and a manor revealed some form of civilization finally. But, there was no note of this on the map Ova provided.

"Waiting till night would only slow us down and lead to anyone still chasing us to catch up," Vera replied, "And I rather not have to answer questions if one of the locals catches us wandering around at night. We should be fine to keep going. Better to stick what we know and get to the city."

It was possible Ova had out of date information. But the elven woman did mention the academy which the human slaver's also mentioned. There was a good chance that was still at least accurate on the map. If their pursuers were still alive and stubbornly chasing them, them spending time asking the locals would hopefully slow them down enough to keep the lead until the city.

Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:07 am

Vera played through the various possibilities in her head. If she had been taken it had to bee in exchange for something valuable. If this was a dream time could be irrelevant, weeks and even months could be compressed down to an evening of rest. It was tough to say for certain. Little time could have past or she had been whisked away for the amusement of someone or something. Either could have been possible so she decided to place it out of her mind in the present.

It was best to just play along and treat this as real. Hopefully the Academy had answers for them.

Eventually Nix got the hint that she wasn't going to open up about her past. Though she received some answers as far as magic went it was clear that she hadn't comprehended much. She was a bit jealous that she couldn't use it herself.

Pulling her weight Nix proved to have some value. Truth be told she probably had far more practical skills than Sara or Illiya so it was fortunate that she was the one to make it out of captivity with her. While clearly not assertive she did have her uses.

“Yeah. You're right.” Not only would sulking about potentially cause problems it also allowed any pursuit to catch up.

Traveling on the noted people reacting the closer they got. Humans of various ages Vera determined that they comprised of multiple families living on this land as a close knit community. Or so it seemed. Many ceased working, staring at the armed young woman.

Vera didn't feel fear but rather curiosity at who the strangers were and from where they were coming from. Clearly the road started here and while there was a path through the forest there wasn't a road, at least neither had noted one large enough for a wagon.

Clearly they didn't get many travelers from the nation they just came from.

She felt some suspicion too. At one point a young lad ran inside to get someone. Soon a young man appeared in far better clothing than the others. Certainly no field hand. His attire struck her as someone of importance. An official or minor noble. He watched too. Glancing back toward the forest then in the direction they were heading. Curios like a majority of the others but she felt a degree of lust within his head.

No one bothered with them as they walked along. Though they caused work to come to a pause. As far as Vera could tell the only weapons were farming tools. There was no fear or animosity within them. As the two nearly made it past the farm they were finally addressed.

“Hey there. Are you heading to the city?” The young man marginally dressed better than the field hands introduced himself as Tenno. Sure he liked what he saw, but most anyone would. A merchant by trade he offered them a ride to the city once he was packed up.

Three quarters of the way through packing his wagon with bushels of fruit he could use the company or help. If they refused they would see him again after some time seeing there was the one road. Pulling up along side them he made his offer again either taking them or leaving them be.

Either way they would make it to town either around noon or late evening. Tenno would ask if they needed a lift back before going off to the market to sell his wares. He went off to help restock goods with his business associate who had been here since morning.

The pair were getting plenty of looks. Most notably there were those that found them as outsiders given their over sized cloths. The style was vastly different. Bright colors appeared to be the norm. That and it was far from conservative. Now at the city Vera had a better look at the academy tower. Set atop a hill the structure was enormous. What appeared to be stone at first was revealed to be dark gray metal.

Finding the tower would be easy. With it always being in view no other structure was larger than a barn. Plus it was on the highest point of elevation in the city.

As they made their way along Vera felt something that was a shade different than the curiosity and occasional lustful thoughts. Fear. There! She spied someone in yellow, a young man. At first she felt nothing abnormal until he spotted here. To compound the matter he turned and darted off.

“Watch where you're going!”

Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next