View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Where Fools Dare (For Vera) 

Post Re: Where Fools Dare (For Vera)
Vera could have attempted to correct Megan but, it is possible that previous Head Girls were promoted from Prefects. It was certainly not a requirement by any stretch. But, the silver haired woman was uncertain of how long the Head Girl program has been active on the island. Megan's attempt to hunt for a story did not feel right to her. For Vera, the only thing that mattered was facts (well facts the school approved of course) and not just making stories for the sake of making some sensational story.

From the way Megan reacted, the Head Girl assumed some of this will be cut to avoid awkward moments or silences. The student did pick things up again as she began to fire off questions about the powers of Headgirls and Prefects. It was bound to get to this topic eventually one way or another.

"I would not say it blurs the line," Vera replied, "The demerit system allows the student body to police themselves. The staff will only step in the case of extreme rules violations. Otherwise, they simply add demerits to a student's record. In a way, the demerit system is just delegating rules enforcing to Head Girls and Prefects. I find the line to be pretty clear."

"Giving a select group of students the ability to enforce the rules means that the staff can devote more resources towards promoting and improving Shokushu itself instead of having to deal with every minor offense," Vera added, "Can the rules be strict and even harsh? Yes. But, that varies from University to University. Maintaining strict order ensures that students graduating from here will have an appreciation for rules as well as having the discipline to follow and enforce them as well. As the example you threw back at me, Ms. Rossignol had a great deal of demerits and required correction. I administered said correction and she not only understood what she did wrong to earn the demerits but why the rules were there in the first place. There is a reason why I say correction rather than punishment. Punishing without explaining and articulating the reasons behind it does nothing for the student and wastes times. I put forth much time and effort to ensure any student that is sent to me understands exactly what they did and what this school expects from them."

"You say this systems gives power to the Head Girls and Prefects..." she continued, "Well I will start by explaining exactly what Prefects can do. They are to simply administer demerits and report those demerits to their Head Girl. Anything further than that is completely on their Head Girl's descretion. But, the system gives power to the students as well. No student would take the time to report a minor violation to the staff. In most cases, the staff would just ignore it much like how a police officer ignores something along the lines of jay walking. With Head Girls and Prefects, there is now an appropriate outlet for these minor to major reports. This is not tattle tailing or whatever childish term one may call it. This is a means for students to police themselves and do what they can to ensure everyone is meeting or exceeding the standard of Shokushu."

"Of course, I do not expect students to come flocking to me with reports just on my word," Vera admitted, "But the intention of the system is there for those who wish to help others improve. I will say this though. Having a demerit is not the end of the world. Yes, it represents a flaw, a mistake. But, if you correct that mistake, you will not get any further demerits. We do not just keep track of demerits but the reason for every demerit. It is a means to keep track of patterns of disobedience or mistakes. One uniform violation will not cause an issue. But, multiple demerits caused from the same rules violation, in this case uniform violations, reveals to me that either the student is not informed of the rules or is purposefully going against the system for some reason. It is my job to find out the reason for the chaos and bring order back to it. I hope that clears up the purpose of the demerit system. As for the critics, any student has the power to give demerits if they report to a Prefect or Head Girl. If anything, it is welcomed. There are only so many Head Girls and Prefects active on campus and we cannot spot every flaw everytime."

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 am

Right, because to expect students to report every infraction to a staff member is folly, but to recommend they do the same to a Prefect is empowering, Juniper bemusedly thought to herself. Her spoken, response, was much more generous, "So then, you assert that it's not so much a blurring of responsibilities so much as a transferral. We are all adults here, after all, so it's fair to assume we can responsibly police ourselves instead of relying upon the authority of those who's responsibilities are to our education." she said, nodding a bit thoughtfully, "It's a thought provoking counter argument." she conceded smoothly.

"I believe that clears up the main points, m'am. Is there anything you'd like to address to our readership while you have the opportunity?" she asked, turning the floor over for a moment. She made a quick note in her book, scratching out "punitive" to write "correctional" above it for her own future reference. There were still a few questions on the pad, but for whatever reason it seemed that she'd decided against asking them for the time being.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 am

"Unfortunately, there has to be at least some amount of authority whether it be a small group of people or an entire population," Vera replied, "If students were willing and able to police themselves, the demerits would be unnecessary and my job would be much easier. But that is wishful thinking as we both know. There will be always those who wish to resist the system or are unable to help themselves. The system in place here in Shokushu not only helps correct those students but gives a means for everyone to improve each other."

"I have nothing more to add," Vera said finally, "Thank you for putting forth the effort to help clear up any confusion amongst the student body, Ms. Manson. As always, my door is open for all students who wish to ask further questions or just need someone to speak to."

With that, Vera finally lifted her cup to drink her tea. It was a rather long interview and many questions required thorough answers. Megan was not really too harsh with the questions. It was possible there were harsher things scribbled on that pad in reaction to the Head Girl's answers though. But, she would allow Megan this chance to prove herself. Lets see just what this reporter will do with the information given from a direct source.

"I hope this was enough to assist you in proposing your social media idea, Ms. Manson," Vera said once the recorder was turned off, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 am

"And thank you, for granting us some of your valuable time, m'am." Megan responded with a nod. As Vera picked up her cup, the young reporter reached across the desk to turn the recorder off, dragging it over to rest next to her cup of tea but leaving it in place for the time being, just to show that it was plainly not recording at the moment.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction, m'am. There's a few more interviews to get out of the way, for example, I was hoping I might catch up with a Prefect later on to get a slightly more ground-level view of the system, but thank you for taking the time." she nodded again, "If it's not too much trouble, I was hoping to take a few pictures to help draw eyes to the piece. If it's not too forward, ma'm, I thought your own majestic visage would make a strong header image, though the final dimensions of the site are still in flux so I'd have to take a few to make sure I was well-prepared for however much size we dedicate to images for the news section of the page." she lightly twiddled her thumbs for a moment as if considering something before adding.

"Also, while I have your attention, there were a few small questions I was hoping you could address. Off the record, mind you, completely unrelated to the site." not wanting to leave a half-finished cup of tea on the woman's desk Megan reached out to reclaim hers.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am

Though an important interview, it made sense for Megan to need a few more to flesh out her portfolio before presenting it to the staff. With this interview going to be seen by the staff, they will be sufficiently informed about what questions were asked and how they were answered. Vera knew her answers would be fine. She had been doing this for quite some time and hiding secrets was second nature to her. Still, she would make her own report of this interview just in case this woman decided to alter or twist what was said into something else.

Megan gave quite a bit of praise for Vera's appearance. Of course, the Head Girl did see herself as attractive. But it seemed strange for this woman to make such a statement for some reason. "Majestic?" Vera repeated, "I thought you were trying to make me appear more human to the students?" It was just a small tease really. "I suppose an up to date picture of myself would be good," Vera answered, "When and how do you wish these pictures to be taken?"

That was not the only other thing the student wanted though. The girl claimed these would be small questions but she could not help but wonder if that was really the case. These were questions that would be off the record. The recorder was off. But, Vera could not help the fact she felt a bit wary about this. Refusing was not an option of course. The Head Girl would just have to becareful on how to handle any matters that may come up. "Well I already stated that any student can come to me with questions," Vera replied, "Go ahead and ask."

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 am

"Oh dear," Megan said, looking a tad uncomfortable, "I did say that aloud, didn't I? Terribly unprofessional. I just . . . slipped into artistic mode for a moment there, ma'm." she said, hiding the blush and the stammer behind her cup for a moment as she took a sip. Shame it was a farce, a pretty little slip made to seem an accidental compliment. The embarrassment, however, never touched her emotionally, "I just meant to say that you have a bearing that seems well suited to a position of authority. You look like someone in charge, and as the piece is about Headgirls, that resonates strongly with the subject matter." she gestured towards Vera with a slight smile.

"I didn't have anything too extravagant in mind. My preferred shot would be one of you at the desk, looking up from the computer, to bring across what one might see should they take advantage of your open door policy themselves." she said, taking a moment to drain the rest of her cup, "However, I may have to settle for a side banner, so I was thinking that I could take a full-figure shot of you standing by the shelf over there that I could crop to fit." she said, settling the empty saucer and cup back upon her desk, "And, should I need a narrower horizontal banner as a header image, I was thinking I should take a side-angle shot of you looking out the window. Try to visually capture some of that "watchful presence" aspect.", she smoothed out her skirts and closed her notebook before dropping it back in the bag, "Though, if you have any ideas for pictures, I'd be happy to take those as well. One never knows what'll best fit the final composition."

Megan climbed smoothly out of the chair and reclaimed her camera, taking a few steps closer to the door and raising the camera to her eye as she adjusted the zoom and focus. She wanted to get the angle from the doorway, but she also wanted the subject to mostly fill the frame also.

"I was just thinking about what you said about a Headgirl needing to select their Prefects carefully because they reflect back upon the person who empowered them."
she said, giving the other girl a few moments to straighten herself up and hopefully grant her the favor of a small, professional smile, "I wondered if anyone had ever suggested attaching a simple badge to the position's sash, to more clearly indicate which Prefects belonged to which Headgirls. As you said, often times Headgirls are away from the school, either tending to projects at the Labs or attending functions abroad, but their Prefects generally remain behind. It can be difficult for the casual observer to keep tabs on who represents whom in those circumstances."

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 am

The feigned embarrassment would have fooled most people. But, Vera was not most people. She did not sense any embarrassment coming from Megan's aura. Perhaps this was just a tease. It was nothing worth confronting.

"Very well," Vera replied, staying in her chair for the first picture to be taken while Megan moved to a preferred position. She pulled her long silver hair back behind her shoulders and gave a soft smile. She waited for the camera to go off before answering the student's question. "Which Prefect belongs to which Head Girl is noted in their records and the records of all Head Girls. The staff will know who to see about any Prefect. This would only give a slight benefit to students. But even then, students are free to report to anyone about any issues or questions about a certain Prefect and Head Girl. We can easily find out who belongs to who in that respect. Think of it like a military organization. Soldiers do not wear badges to show which Sergeant they fall under. They simply obey those of higher rank. The same applies to Prefects. Even if not under her, they are expected to comply to orders from any Head Girl and not just their own. The ownership part is more just to know where to point fingers when things go wrong unfortunately." It was a harmless question it seemed and would have been of little importance for the purpose of the interview.

Once Megan took enough pictures, Vera rose to her feet and moved to bookshelf. "How do you want me in this one?"

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

"They do, however, wear unit designations. I'll grant you, the benefit would be small, but so would be the cost of implementation. While the information is available in the roles, if we're talking about using something as ephemeral as reputation and recognition as a guiding point for selection, it just seemed to me that that recognition should be instantaneous." the camera clicked once, then she shifted her position to one side to get the computer monitor and the tea more out of frame, "It was just a passing fancy, I just wondered if the subject had been broached before. If, as you say, the Prefects must follow the instructions of every Headgirl then that muddies the waters a bit in regards to who is responsible for the more proficient wielders of the title anyway." she snapped one more for good measure, one lower to the ground with the tea set prominently displayed as if inviting the viewer to partake. Then she stood up and pulled the camera from her eye to indicate that she felt she had this particular angle covered.

"Ah, let's try a few poses." she said as she tilted her head to the side, "Let's start with a body profile, just stand up straight with your hands clasped at your skirt, shoulders perpendicular to the shelves, then look back this way." she directed, "Smile!" she encouraged, clicking the shutter. "Mmn . . . that came out a little cold. Think of something pleasant . . . Ms. Kite, maybe."

"I was just wondering ma'm, given your interests and former holdings, whether the school's infranet structure is based on M-Ware protocols and hardware. I understand that NICE has made significant technological donations to the school, but given your personal investment in the school's success and M-Ware's status as a rising leader in reliable, user friendly networking . . . " she shrugged her shoulders slightly with a smirk, moving behind the camera again.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

It was a minor request though that did not mean it would necessarily change anything purely on its simplicity. Vera did not see any reason for the designations. At this point, she was the only active Head Girl on campus so it was safe to assume that any issues about Prefects would fall on her whether the woman belonged to her or not.

Once at the shelves, she followed Megan's directions. The poses were harmless enough so Vera did not feel too uncomfortable doing them. What was uncalled for was mentioning Kite and what was wordlessly implied. "I am uncertain why you decided to drop names of students, Ms. Manson," Vera replied, "I thought you had better taste than that as a journalist. I also do not like the tone you took when you implied a student may please me." Vera would not tolerate this game, not even for a moment. This junk was the methods of journalist who try to make a rise out of their target purely for the sake of writing about getting a rise out of someone then twisting it all into some slanderous story. The fact that Megan suddenly did this certainly took her down a few steps in Vera's eyes. How disappointing.

"I do not really have the details about the school's intranet. That is more for the techs in staff to keep track of. And you really do not need that much information for making a social media hub," Vera added. The question was rather detailed. Was Megan trying to show off her tech savviness or was this an attempt to get detailed information about Shokushu's networks. After the last fumble, Vera would not have revealed such details even if she knew them.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Ouch. If she thought the last smile was a bit cold, the current expression was absolutely arctic. She snapped the picture anyway, though it was more for her own collection than anything. At the very least, it was a genuine expression. She gave a somewhat hurt expression as she let the camera drop slightly.

"I beg your pardon, ma'm. The role of a photographer is somewhat different from that of a journalist, one deals in facts, while the other is very much focused on impressions. The human mind can discern so much at a glance, it's important to carefully mold their perception, don't you think?" she picked up her camera again, "Nothing said at this stage is done in journalistic pursuit, ma'm. I'm sorry my methods of trying to bring my subjects somewhat out of their shell offend, it's certainly not my place to judge." she made a motion for her to move a step to the side, "Could you please make a quarter turn this way? I only mention Ms. Kite because it seemed to me that the two of you were getting along famously. For one unadorned with a sash, she's up here quite frequently with reports, and that accessory of hers is no petty bauble."

"By all means, ma'm, correct my impression. What does warm your heart, if not the presence of your friends? I'm rather partial to symphony myself."

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 pm

"So you are a photographer now?" Vera replied, "I thought you were interested in the truth to clear up confusion, not manipulating the masses. I also do not appreciate you keeping tabs on who comes to my office. Students who come to see me come to me in confidence." There was simply no excuse for this. Megan already claimed she had seen Kite enter the tower multiple times, too many to be considered just a coincidence. Apparently this student had staked out the tower and was making notes of who enters and leaves. This is most unpleasant.

"I can tell you what does not warm my heart, Ms. Manson," Vera replied coldly as she turned to face the woman, "I do not like students lying to me. Lies waste my time. You came to me with an amiable intention but your recent claims show that this may not be your intention at all. What were you hoping to find by watching who comes to see me? And if some of those people happen to be friends or family, how do you think I feel about you spying on them?" Her arms crossed infront of her. She was still speaking in a calm voice but it was apparent that Megan was quickly getting onto the Head Girl's bad side. Perhaps poking the lion like this was not the best of ideas.

"You came to me to get my good word and support," Vera continued, "Do you think spying on me and other students is the right way to do that?"

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 pm

"I do tend to think of myself as one, ma'm. When behind a camera." Megan responded, "A camera, by it's very nature, can only capture truth, ma'm. The artistry of the photographer is in the awareness to catch beautiful moments, and in contextualizing them to the greatest effect. Yes, when seeking to compliment an article about Headgirls, I would seek to capture a genuine smile rather than the practiced, sterling white one you chose to favor the board with. Because the goal of the piece is to make people relate to you, to feel more comfortable in seeking you out."

"Clearly, I've failed to do so. And in that failure, caused grave offense." she dropped her head sadly and shook it from side to side with a bit of genuine remorse and a touch of apprehension. Things had been going so well. "I can only hope that the quality of my work will convince you that I am not some would-be tabloid gossip monger, seeking a tawdry sound bite to inflame the imaginations of witless girls with no ambition of their own. Perhaps it would be best if I begged my leave for the time being."

"As for my "spying"," she worked the word around in her mouth distastefully, "I fail to see how such a basic observation could be construed as espionage. Was it "spying" to collect statistics on Student Council election trends? To sift through the public records to determine what infractions most frequently result in corrective action? Or to poll my fellow students for the impressions on an experimental and controversial system? I put my full effort into researching this piece, so, yes I took some time to sit in a publicly accessible location and note a few comings and goings on the offhand chance it would generate a talking point." she forced her teeth shut before she said something that would really get her in trouble.

This was always the risk with investigative reporting. Privacy was such an ill defined comfort, and people tended to react poorly when you crossed that imaginary line. Juniper was starting to creep up through Megan, just a little though, indignant that someone would malign what she had come to think of as a vital and important profession so casually.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Well it was doubtful Vera was going to smile at all at this point. Megan realized she offended the Head Girl but instead of taking a step back and correcting herself, decided to spout out claims that her work would make such acts worthwhile. No, that was not acceptable no matter the results. This was not a case of 'basic' observation. Megan had already claimed to watch for multiple days at a time of who enters and leaves the tower. And she claims this is for the sake of finding a topic of conversation? That is not even remotely appropriate. It was like sitting outside a clinic and watching all the patients enter and leave then try striking up a conversation with the physician about said patients. Megan even took a step further claiming that such a visit was for something other than business. Of course, there was certainly pleasure involved but that did not change the fact it was rude and in poor taste to even imply such a thing.

If things kept going like this, Megan would certainly be begging to leave. Vera could explain how wrong this was. But it was apparent that this reporter is trying to direct things away from the blatant invasion. Yes, there are no rules keeping Megan from sitting outside and looking at the tower. But, the intention of why this was done is as clear as day. If Megan can't realize that then, it was unlikely she would get any more assistance from the Head Girl anymore.

This was just not worth her time anymore. "Take your interview and go, Ms. Manson," Vera ordered simply. She had enough and she was not going to argue with a reporter. If issues arise due to this meeting, she will ensure that Megan will not write a single article again.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am

Apologies had never been Juniper's strong point, and, unfortunately, it was a characteristic that tended to wind its way through most of her pseudonyms as well. What was done, was done, and people could come to grips or not. She hadn't the luxury of sparing feelings, not in her line of work, not unless she wanted to be saddled with an endless stream of fluff human interest pieces. But, it seemed, they had reached an impasse and Juniper knew better than to argue once she was at loggerheads with a source. Ultimately, she had everything that she'd actually come for, even if Ms. Matsumoto had elected to confiscate the recording she would've considered the meeting a win overall.

"Understood." she said, bowing her head slightly. Quietly, she gathered her bag and placed the camera and the recorder inside, neither rushing nor dawdling as she collected her things. Oh, certainly, a wide variety of comments danced on her tongue, but despite the brief surge of temper she was still anchored enough to realize they were both petulant and ill advised.

She made her way away from the desk, skirts swishing behind her as she made swift, direct strides out of the room. Her hand rested on the deadbolt and turned it smoothly, a soft "clack" sounding as the heavy bolt slid free. She paused briefly with her hand on the knob, glancing over her shoulder. The wrinkles of irritation were gone from her face.

"The tea was lovely, thank you."
the smile was, perhaps, strained, but she'd have felt wrong without addressing that particular point of etiquette. It had been a fine blend. She turned the knob and stepped out into the hallway, pausing briefly to sigh as the door clicked shut behind her. Well, she was out, now she just had to make certain that she wasn't followed as she traced a winding, irregular path through most of the campus.

It was probably time to "retire" Megan, she sincerely didn't need an irate Headgirl keeping an eye out to make her life miserable.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:34 am

Vera simply waited. She could feel Megan's anger and frustration. At least the student was of good of mind enough to not lash out against the Head Girl. The woman puts away her things and thanked her for the tea before finally taking her leave. Vera was patient enough to not rush the reporter and made no mention of taking the footage away. With her power and influence over the students, attempting to slander her name through an article would only lead to Megan's own demise. The students are already fearful and not fond of her, it is not like their view could get worse.

Once Megan left, the Head Girl sighed and pulled back her long silver hair. What a day. The article and media hub was such a good idea. It was just a shame that Megan could not act properly and instead acted like one of those gossiping paparazi. Vera would briefly look through her files, pulling up Megan's. She did seem to be a new student but did not notice anything out of the ordinary. For now, there was no need to give any demerits to this woman. Beyond having poor taste and annoying a Head Girl, there were no actual rules being broken here.

Vera poured herself a fresh cup of tea and went about her business as normal. She may consider asking the front desk to keep an eye out for a certain woman lurking about the tower in the future. It disturbed her that a student was doing this and saw nothing wrong with it. She rather not be stalked.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next