View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera) 

Post All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera)
Afternoon, coming on evening, was the time she chose. Saira had researched the schedule a bit, and knew that she could somewhat be tolerated for bothering a Head Girl at this kind of hour, after classes and duties levelled off. She looked... new. Which confused more than a few late-term students, who could swear they recognized her (and that she hadn't grown a bit...), and confused Saira in turn. She had the deja vu, the sense something was wrong, but... she didn't know what. Maybe asking for advice would help?

Clomp, clomp. The small shoes that came with the skimpy (why was it so tight?!) uniform resounded in the halls. Heading to a place made out ahead of time - somewhere where the girl would be waiting and available, but not so much as to intrude on her personal dorm - Saira paced. A constant worried pout on her face, and a brochure labeled 'The Head Girl System And You' clutched in one hand. It felt weird, the whole system. She assumed it was like a Japanese class president or something, or a student council in typical high school, but...

...Something felt wrong, again. Familiarly wrong. Which is the worst kind of wrong when you have no idea why it's familiar. Of course if she knew the reasons for this deja vu as she is now, she'd be deeply shocked (...and her player briefly entertains the notion of her realizing the narrative reason for it, but safely discards such metafictional frippery for now). If she knew she had suffered an ambiguous fate, that made her unfit for a student's 'final reward', that made Them want to... reboot her once cleansed of the influence. Not unheard of among the Special Students, but still awkwardly rare.

What this meant, though, was that an Archaeology student who enrolled 7 years ago, was now acting as though it was her first week at Shokushu, virginal mentally (...and probably physically, too) and actually shy, nervous, uncertain. These Head Girls seemed intentionally ominous, as did all the demerits and punishment rules and the like. It set a sharp mind turning as to why, but that was a revelation for another time. Instead?

Instead Saira knocked on the door demurely, her voice nervously piping up with a "A-ah, Miss Matsumoto? ...S... Saira Nejem, your 5 o'clock appointment for an... uhm, extended student orientation?" And then waiting, dark cheeks stained red with an awkward blush.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Post Re: All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera)
Vera could sense the presence at her door. It was a common thing really. Students climb the tower and get to just outside her door. Then the nervous doubts come pouring in. The Head Girl was aware of her reputation and the rumors that students spread about her. That alone is enough to make a student hesitate if it was their first time seeing her. Unlike students who were in trouble and had no choice in the matter, those who came of their own volition or made an appointment choose to turn back at this point. Whether they stay or leave, the inner struggle that happens just outside her door would go unnoticed by most normal people.

Unfortunately in this case, Vera was not normal. Being an empath, she could sense the conflict and emotion radiating from just beyond her door. Her door was a distance away from her desk but it was close enough that her senses picked up on it. It was an odd and at times annoying sensation. It was as if the student was pacing off to the side from where she sat, pacing just outside her field of vision. Like a buzzing fly that she could not swat, Vera had sort of grown used to dealing with this sensation.

Before Vera considered calling out to the student in question, the knock came followed by the woman reporting her presence. The Head Girl did have an appointment scheduled for a Ms Nejem at this time. Thankfully, the girl's fears did not cause her to back down from such a commitment.

"Come in, Ms Nejem," Vera called. Saira would find the door unlocked and see the lavish living conditions that a Head Girl has in these tower suites. There was an open entrance area with marble floor with doors flanking off to the sides. Vera's desk was towards the end of this section of the suite with the living and dining areas beyond that. The kitchen was around the corner. Beyond the pieces of are hanging on the walls, the only other thing Saira could make out were the nice couches and electronics in the living area, flatscreen, stereo system, etc.

"There is no need to worry, Ms Nejem," Vera reassured the woman, "Despite what others may say of me, I do not bite. You are here to learn more about Shokushu, yes? Please, have a seat. Would you like some tea or water?"

The silver haired woman would rise to her feet. Her uniform was immaculate and the woman did not seem to mind the skimpy size. The Head Girl strode with confidence and kept her head up, showing no signs of embarassment. The major difference between Vera and Saira's uniforms though was the light blue sash that hung loosely around the woman's hips. This was what marked a Head Girl while a darker navy blue sash represented the Head Girl's Prefects.

Vera would return from the kitchen, tea already prepared and offers a cup of a glass of water if Saira requested it. She then returned to her seat to continue with their meeting. "You came a bit later than the other students so you have missed official orientation for new students, Ms Nejem. But, I am glad you took it upon yourself to make an appointment. I see you have the brochure about this school's unique system. I never did like how it was titled...

"If you are comfortable, please tell me about yourself," Vera said calmly, "Why come to Shokushu? What do you hope to gain from this isolated university? We can then move onto any questions or concerns you may have about Shokushu itself. Does that sound good, Ms Nejem?"

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Now, an empath, Saira had no way of knowing Vera was. So she had no idea what her thoughts of dubiousness about the entire 'system' would do to the Head Girl, so she continued to wonder in ignorance. But, all the same, the black-haired, dark-skinned... and inexplicably purple-eyed, girl wandered in when beckoned. There was the slightest feeling of relief in it being more formal and less... somehow hostile, and she gladly sat.

"Ah, yes. ...Tea would be fine." Saira began as she settled into the chair, crossing and uncrossing her legs as she tried to get comfortable. Nonetheless, she continued. "...Yes, I would want a bit more information, though. Mostly, I can get things like the floorplan or the class schedule - even the dorm rules weren't that hard? ...But, ah... your role, the system for Head Girls and Prefects in general, and the demerit system are a bit poorly-explained in the... er... materials." Saira wagged the (Vera would know it as woefully threadbare) pamphlet a bit.

"As to coming here, though, I'm not sure. My parents were interested in giving me a high-class education, and were probably also trying to... mm. Instill proper western values or something? I'm not sure I understand the impulse, because my upbringing was proper enough in my opinion, and unlike them I assimilated fine. ...So I guess it's just one of those things families with a little money talk their 'precious daughters' into." Naturally, Saira would, given her memory-compromised state, not really realize the depth of what was wrong with her presence here - that proper values were only a side-act to the main 'training' a girl like her would have, that she was in a trap - so she seemed fairly light and candid about the whole matter.

Hm.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:54 pm

Any student who arrives on this island was already in the trap. There was no escaping this place and come graduation, every graduating student would be on the auction block to be purchased by the highest alien bidder. But, some lucky few do manage to find a place here in Shokushu, serving them as Head Girls or even Prefects. Some eventually become part of the staff. Unfortunately, most students tend to fight the system instead of submitting to it.

"Yes, the Head Girl and Prefect system is unique to this university," Vera stated calmly, "Our primary role is to help maintain order on campus. But a Head Girl also has her other duties. We serve under and represent the Headmaster that hired us, performing tasks that he or she sees as relevant. It varies from Head Girl to Head Girl. But using myself as an example, I attend Student Council meetings, tutor students within my realms of expertise, attend and talk at opening events, greet and thank visitors, deliver Assemblies, and many other tasks depending on the needs of the school and my Headmaster."

"But, what I am known for by the students is maintaining order," she continued, "This is done through demerits and correction. Demerits are given to students who violate the rules. The amount depends on the rule in most cases. Demerits are noted in a student's record. If a student ends up with too many demerits or show a pattern of behavior where they repeatedly break a certain rule, that is when I call them in for correction. During correction, I inform them why they are being corrected, the rules that were violated, and why such rules should be followed in the future. Student may claim this is punishment but my goal is not to terrify but to educate."

"This may seem like a great deal of power for a student to have," Vera said after sipping her tea, "But this system allows our limited staff here to work on maintaining the island and handle more pressing matters than a few troublemakers. It is also not a position that should be feared but respected. You are not the first student to nervously pace outside my door. But, many have learned that I am only here to help them succeed and excel in what they came here to do."

"Prefects are hired by Head Girls," Vera stated, "They have less roles and responsibilities and they represent the Head Girl that took them in. Their jobs involve maintaining their floor of the dorms, patrolling the campus for demerits and overall cleanliness, and otherwise help handle anything a Head Girl needs assistance with."

"I run an open door policy here, Ms Nejem," she concluded, "Any student may come to my office and request guidance or assistance from me. I am a resource for students to use to help them here on this island. If anything is to be learned from this, please make it that at least. Personally, I do not mind visitors. It does give me a brief break from working on reports and paper work."

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 pm

"Ah..." Saira began, sipping tea as well (And /trying/ to look thoughtful). "So in a way, it's to deal with understaffing, as well as to... ...keep up the finishing-school air they're cultivating." Saira seemed to act like she understood, at any rate! She was a fair measure calmer now, though. There was at least a bit of a stray thought, though...

"To be perfectly honest, the system was a bit ominous-sounding, and I felt slightly as though I was distracting you from something. But I guess the distraction was welcomed!" She exclaimed, with a little bit of happiness to her tone. So far everything seemed good, and she almost was at a loss for further questions. But... "I suppose I could ask if there was anything else to keep in mind?... Or maybe things to avoid? I feel as though there was some kind of horrible rumor mill that I'd probably be discouraged from buying into."

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 pm

"In a way, yes. Though the system has worked rather well in helping students find their path," the silver haired woman replied, "And there is no reason to fear the system. Perform well and obey the rules and every encounter you have with a Prefect and Head Girl will most likely be a positive one much like this one is right now."

"As long as you are mindful of the rules, you should be fine. As for rumors, that is all they are. Being on an isolated island with the near entire population being female can have... unique effects on a person. So rumors start and odd behavior happens. All that can be done is to report such matters to someone of authority so they can be given the help they need. Just remember you are here to get an education and to move on with your goals in life. Do not weigh yourself down with unnecessary worries."

"I am glad to see you have brightened a bit since coming to see me, Ms Nejem," Vera added, "A positive attitude can go a long way in presenting yourself and first impressions."

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Saira nodded at that assessment, with a bit of a more-present smile. "Well yes, that's definitely a good thing for you to be glad." She said it plainly, yet Saira at least somewhat gave off the air of someone who appreciated it when she pleased others. Still, she was drumming her fingers against the chair arm, trying to think. Feeling as though she needed to have more, more things to ask than just that. Otherwise it would've been a waste of time. ...And that, well. She asked about the rumors for some reason, didn't she?

"I figure, though, that it's best to ask anyway, just in case. ...Strange behavior though... Ms. Matsumoto, would you possibly be implying things other than hysteria, like fraternization? ...Though..." An awkward chuckle, at that. Saira was clearly thinking about it, and then remembered what parts of the rules she had read clearly. "I think the rules specifically mention public decency and use of private spaces for that though... So I guess it does happen, but we're all adults, even if young adults mostly."

...Which brought to mind a thought that, potentially, Vera might've sampled the local 'dishes' as it were. A thought that produced a more detectable feeling of increased bashfulness. But it eventually faded, mostly because Saira was justifying it as just private conduct, even if there were implications just begging to happen based on the whole power-difference thing a Head Girl would have going for her.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 pm

This student seemed a bit awkward when it came to socializing. That was nothing new as Shokushu took all types of women including ones who are perhaps a bit more quiet and shy than others. The woman radiated some emotions of bashful embarrassment upon asking about fraternization. Seems this student still retained some of her developed sex drive before the wipe.

"Well most if not all Universities have such rules, Ms Nejem," Vera replied, her voice as cool and calm as always, "It is not our place to decide who you can have a relationship with. With the entire student body being female, such relations are to be expected. Only matters involving the staff requires the school's attention as you probably know why. But between students, what you do behind close doors is between you and your partner as long as it does not violate any other rules."

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:27 am

"Yeah..." Saira said, lightly trailing off a bit. She was making a fool of herself, or so she thought. She was acting awkward and talking about sexual dalliances and just... No. She should stop fretting. "So uh. ...Are there any people you'd recommend I talk to, or not talk to, if I want to get 'in' on the social scene? ...Or are you usually far too busy?"

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 am

"I am not sure what you mean, Ms Nejem," Vera replied, "Who you talk to depends on what you want. There are multiple school programs and students of all types throughout campus. I cannot tell you who to get involved with. If you require my assistance, you must tell me a bit more of what you want to accomplish. So Ms Nejem, what do you want from this school?" Vera folded her fingers in front of her as she watched Saira try to find words to express herself. The shy ones were always amusing. Vera could most likely start barking orders and this one would obediently follow with little issue. But, that is hardly fun. She wanted to find out more about this mind wiped student.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:17 am

"Well..." Saira began, beginning to wonder if she was being played. Constantly calm, seeming unaffected, but maybe even amused? Still. "Basically, while academically I'm an archaeology student, and extracurricilarly I've already signed up for the gymnastics team, I'm mostly looking for a good term at the school, and rewarding social experiences? ...It's often helpful, then, to know who's popular and... for uh, lack of a better word, interesting."

Saira folded her fingers over one another as well, not looking nearly as serene in so doing, yet still putting out some of an air of contemplation. It could be easy enough to mess with the girl, put her under one form of a 'thumb' or another. Guiding her to her Prefects, maybe, luring her to students she thought would keep Saira busy or would accomplish anything desired on her by association...

...Or if she felt particularly malicious, Vera could even encourage Saira to meet a 'student' who was a monster in disguise. ...But in all honesty, most of this is just wild speculation on the meta-end of things. Saira herself just seemed eager to get in the 'in crowd'. As if unconsciously she knew there was some kind of 'catching up' to do.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:08 am

"Everyone wants a 'good' term here in Shokushu and I am certain everyone wants their social experiences to be as rewarding as possible as well," the Head Girl began, "But words such as popular and interesting really depends on what that individual is looking for. Some think cheerleaders and athletes are popular while others may prefer the company of someone with more scholarly expertise. You are being vague, Ms Nejem."

There are certainly Prefects and Head Girls that would take full advantage of their position for their own personal means. Vera was not really one of those people. She found more joy in manipulating students to do her bidding and accept the leash themselves like so many of Prefects have.

"As I said, there are plenty of programs to find so called interesting people. Also any student wearing a navy blue sash are Prefects that work under a Head Girl. Most likely those you meet would be under my care. Since you seem to find me uninteresting, I suppose my Prefects would be more so to you."

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:06 pm

"Uh... n-not intentionally vague, Ms. Matsumoto. And I don't think you're uninteresting, it's just... I chose you because I figured, as the most visible Head Girl, you'd be able to answer questions. So uh... Your opinion is considered good by me? ...But I guess it's something I'll have to figure out on my own, because other than 'maybe a bit scholarly', I don't quite know yet. I just feel..." Saira paused, almost conspicuously so. She had a feeling of disconnect and was trying to think of how to express it.

"...Ah, like I. Like I'd be left behind quickly. But it's fair enough that you, ah, need more detail, Ms. Matsumoto. I'll leave well enough alone then until I know better what I want." Her fingers were wringing and moving around nervously, because she felt as though she had given offense back there.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:07 pm

"Left behind? I do not think I quite understand your meaning. And please... I have already said my door is always open for any student who comes to see me. There is no need to worry. I am here to help."

"You have only just arrived here, Ms Nejem," Vera reassured the woman, "This place is unique as it is isolated from the rest of the world. You have not been left behind. This is a new beginning for you. What are you in hopes of finding in this new beginning? Knowledge? Friendship? Opportunity? A companion? All have been found on this island. Students have learned things about themselves they could never have hoped to find under the judging gaze of the rest of the world."

The Head Girl had leaned back in her chair as she observed Saira. It was difficult to say what this 'new' student was looking for. But that was fine, Vera had no other appointments planned.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Saira opened her mouth briefly, as if to explain the 'left behind' remark, but she came up short, just resulting in a quiet little mouth-stretch. After which, she sighed a little. "Sorry, I've been feeling a little confused since I got to the school. I think... companionship would be my greatest goal right now. It was often boring and lonely back home, even..." She knew she was being more carefully evaluated, of course. That she sounded confused and uncertain. It made Saira self-conscious.

"I suppose a club related to my major - like this... exploration... thing? They call themselves Tramps in the brochure. That might work out, assuming they aren't regular troublemakers." Though it didn't /really/ come out in her emotional landscape, Saira figured she'd at least see what all the fuss about a troublemaker was even if she was told they were so. Not that she wanted to do Vera any disrespect, but something still felt 'odd' at the school.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next