View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera) 

Post Re: All Possible Meanings of "Orientation" (Vera)
"They are a student run group that focuses on outdoor activity usually in the form of exploration. Beyond having a rather crude name, the group itself is usually not involved in anything that violates to my knowledge. I do not have much experience with any of the members as none have ever bothered seeking my aid."

"I apologize if you find these questions too invasive, Ms Nejem," Vera stated, "I only wish to gather as much information as possible so I can better assist your needs. You say you seek companionship. If you wish, we may speak more of this. I can assure you that I keep matters confidential between students. By companions do you seek associates? Friends? A lover or lovers? You did ask about fraternization before so forgive me for bringing up that last option."

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:06 am

"I'm not sure it's being that invasive yet, but yes... so I guess that'd be a good place to start then." Saira said gently, trying not to constantly worry about one thing or another about her presentation or demeanor. But she did pause a bit at the mention of a lover, confidentiality or not. "As to... what... kind of companionship, I'm not sure yet. I'd want to meet more people, ah, get to know them, before I considered the latter too intensely? I think. Otherwise... Friends. 'associates' sounds a measure too cold for my taste."

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:31 am

That constant worry and nervousness did not go unnoticed. This was not really a business meeting nor was this a correction session. So perhaps a change of setting and mood would help.

"You must be uncomfortable sitting rigid like that," Vera said as she rose to her feet, "My apologies. I am used to people coming to me for matters of business or discipline. Please, have a seat on the couch. It should be a bit better than that chair. Would you like another cup of tea?"

Vera would take the cups and head to the kitchen through the living area. In the living area, Saira could see a dining table as well as large windows leading out to a balcony. Being near the top levels of the tower, the view was nothing short of amazing, looking over campus and the beaches beyond. The couches surrounded a small coffee table and the stereo system and flatscreen were up against the far wall.

The Head Girl returned with a tray in hand, she sets it down before pouring fresh cups of tea for Saira and herself. She then sat down. "I hope this is more to your liking. You seemed tense. If you are looking for friends, I am certain you will find some among your classes and any clubs you are participating in. You are a nice enough woman."

Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:12 am

Saira started a bit at the comment about her discomfort, but nodded her head softly. She soon got up and got moving, but,.. "Ah, yes, I think I would like some more tea." She soon was in the couch, leaning into it and trying to relax, thinking. "I see that you get, ah, rewarded for your position. At least on a creature-comforts level... It's a nice view, a really nice view." Saira commented, eventually accepting the new cup of tea, sipping almost immediately.

"So I guess I'll just have to be proactive with the clubs and the like." But she paused, as if realizing something. "...Is it lonely, this role?"

Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:31 am

"Both Head Girls and Prefect receive certain benefits for our positions," Vera replied as she sat down.

The next question was an interesting one. "Hmm..." the silver haired woman sipped her tea for a moment, "If you mean my position, I suppose I am the only Head Girl active on Shokushu campus. But that could just make me unique. My job requires speaking with the Headmaster and staff as well as multiple students. It really depends on what your definition of lonely is. I am still a student and attend classes like anyone else. But if you are referring to people who come see me, only a few people climb this tower to speak to me. My Prefects come see me and I do have a few friends. I do not have as much time for social interactions or being part of the 'in' crowd as you might call it. But, that is to be expected of someone in my position of authority."

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:27 pm

"Ahh... I just thought, uh, a partial disciplinarian would be distanced by design from the other students." Saira commented, sipping her tea some more. She wondered, a bit, why she suddenly asked that anyway. Still, it was the direction things were going in now! "So I guess it's not that bad, then. I was a bit worried, for some reason." Saira felt slightly sheepish at saying that, to be honest.

But you go in the direction the conversation leads...

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:00 am

"It is what you think," Vera corrected, "Many students see me as their enemy due to my efforts to maintain discipline here in Shokushu. That fact alone is enough for students to pick a different direction to walk upon seeing me. As I said before, few approach me whether it is in the halls or up in this tower. There is nothing in the rules that prevents me from interacting with students though. I am free to have friends or a relationship should it happen. Of course, I would have to take such matters into account to ensure no personal bias inhibits my ability to properly perform my duties."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:07 am

"Yes, ah, bias would be pretty bad. So you'd need to have someone who'd accept discipline from you since you're the last active Head Girl..." Saira said, biting her lip. ...She almost felt like she was going into all of this conversation for some kind of reason like trying to be friends with the girl. ...But she, on some level, hardly knew her. It at any rate gave a little bit of pause. Enough for her to finish another good sip of her tea. "Almost sounds like there's a lot of misbehavior going around anyway... It almost makes me wonder if you'd appreciate someone who isn't just here to be reprimanded. Or to talk their way out of one."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:27 am

"It comes and goes as far as troublemakers are concerned," the woman replied, "But, it does not change that it is only myself, some Prefects, and the staff to take care of upwards of a thousand students on this island. It is a lot of work but someone has to do it."

"I appreciate all visitors, you included," Vera added, "As I said when you were pacing nervously at my door, I do not bite. I merely prefer to maintain a professional demeanor. I have had experience running businesses before coming here. Showing weakness at my age back then would only made things far more difficult in the end. Students may come see me when they please. I will always allow them in."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:55 am

Saira furrowed her brow a little bit at a memory from before Shokushu. "Nn. Too much training to not show weakness can lead to coldness and alienation. ...Not judging you, but... My father insisted on that kind of behavior for himself." But she sighed deeply. "Honestly though, it's a school. You should be quite able to leave that kind of thinking behind? We're in the middle of nowhere, who's going to pounce?" Real cute there, Saira. But one can suppose she has an excuse to be like that.

"Sorry. ...I was reminded of a poor homelife. I imagine just looking professional works for being in a position of power, though, even if it sounds somewhat unpleasant to be that way, to me."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:39 am

"This is a University, not an junior high school, Ms Nejem," she corrected before continuing, "You assume I do this out of fear. I do it out of preference. With my posture and presentation, you know exactly what I am trying to convey as well as give my complete attention to who I am speaking with. Discipline is not evil and I certainly hope you do not consider me unpleasant as a result of your opinion."

"Your attitude is exactly why discipline is required here," she added, "You say we are in the middle of nowhere so who cares? There are many students who think the same and thus disobey the rules and create chaos which only harms everyone's experience here on this lovely little island."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:52 am

Oops. That was being a bit too forward, wasn't it? ...But then again, Saira was sort of bumping up against behavior she flat-out didn't understand. People wanting to be cold and professional? ...It was baffling. "I meant being that way would be unpleasant for the person, not for others around them." She tried to say, to cover her ass a little bit. Though to be fair, she had indeed meant it that way. "But your life must've been completely different for this kind of... restraint to not be strange and uncomfortable like I feel it'd be for me. ...And honestly, someone who goes out of their way to break rules because of lack of perceived consequences isn't really what I approve of either? It's more... one is not subject to as much external pressure to perform for your non-peers, to be beholden to image..."

Another sigh. "But I guess answering directly to the headmaster means that you are subject to that completely. ...and are probably used to it, so I think I'll avoid giving insult by making sympathetic overtures. After all, if I make a big show about something I couldn't do being 'so terrible' for you who can do it just fine... It'd look like I was pitying you. And I don't really want that at all." The emotion Saira was going through... it wasn't really sorrow or pity. But it was, nonetheless, a 'low' sort of confusion, that made her vaguely upset that someone can actually live this way and choose to. The idea of holding back self-expression to the point of always wearing the Proper Professional Mask... sounded so alien to her that it was upsetting indeed. But then again, it's entirely possible Vera's already felt that over her empathic senses before.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:01 am

"My past is irrelevant in this discussion, Ms Nejem. The fact of the matter is this is a University and the students here are all adults, not children. They are here to learn a trade and use it to get a job out in the real world. No matter the field, short of going self employment, undergraduates and graduates will have to go and deal with interviews, perhaps present before investors, or even bring forth new ideas among their peers. In order to do that, they have to be able to compose and present themselves accordingly."

"You can spend time here and party hard and all night long but eventually, you will have to go out there and work with those people you find 'unpleasant'."

"You wish to work in archaeology, correct? How will you present your findings if you are unable to hold your head up high speak loud enough for your audience to hear your voice? I am sure you wish to spread what you find to others, right? Are you just going to keep it all to yourself because you find speaking to other professionals to be unpleasant?"

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:33 am

"Having a professional and unprofessional side is a virtue, in my opinion?" Now Saira was even more confused, because how did she impart the idea that she wanted to party hard? This was getting increasingly out of hand. "I really don't think I'm communicating my point effectively. I'm not... advocating utter hedonism at university, nor am I incapable of acting proper? After all, I'm not using excessive slang, overly emoting, trying to hug you, or anything like that. I'm really unsure how I ended up in this area of conversation."

Still, there was a feeling she'd actually either annoy Vera - or earn her disdain - if this kept up. Damage control!

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:41 am

"You never said 'and' before, Ms Nejem," Vera replied, "You simply judged my behavior as unfavorable because of your own past bias. In judging me, you gave the idea that you were completely against having any sort of professional demeanor. You then tried to throw out exceptions to your bias as if to try to protect or to hide from my responses. Then you proceeded to flounder out excuses of why you did not want to make excuses to protect me."

Vera gave a slight smile. "Controlling your language, behaviors, and gestures are forms of discipline, yes. But, you also immediately began to panic at the first sign of opposition. We are in this area of conversation because it is my job to help students excel and this topic can be applied to many of your goals, especially academic ones. Remember my example of presenting your findings? There are many people who are set in their beliefs especially in matters of the history of our the earth and its people. When you present your findings, it may go against such beliefs. Are you going to panic again when they raise their voices against your theories or will stand up for yourself for what you know is correct and true?"

"If you act so nervous and worried about what everyone will think of everything you say, you will remain paralyzed with inaction," the Head Girl stated as she poured Saira another cup of tea, "Those you seek friendship with will also notice this lack of... self confidence. I apologize if this little exercise was uncomfortable. I noticed how nervous you have been since you paced in front of my door as if wondering if you should even knock. I could not resist in testing and seeing how you would handle such a situation. I never like repeating myself but I shall say this again. I am here to help."

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next