View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lorielle, Renegade Faerie Princess 

Post Lorielle, Renegade Faerie Princess
Name: Lorielle

Race: Star Faerie

Place of Birth: Proto-system K-31915

Hair Color: Garnet

Eye Color: Amethyst

Skin Tone: tanned

Wing Color: Iridescent White and Gold

Pubic Hair: thin strip

Distinguishing features: Wings, brilliant jewel colored hair and eyes

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 105 lbs under Earth-like gravity

Bust: 36E

Waist: 22

Hips: 34

Racial Background: Star Faeries are a very clan-oriented race that is uniquely suited to living in space. Whether they started that way, evolved into it, were genetically manipulated for it, or even are not native to this plane of existence is a secret lost to the millennia.

Star Faeries live the majority of their life within the near vacuum of space. For this reason, the primary language of the race is actually a signing/physical language. Their written language evolved later, often noted in glyphs on rocks or asteroids to record their history, or migration. It was not until many eons later that they spent enough time on populated worlds with atmospheres for them to develop a spoken language as well.

Over the centuries though, other races grew jealous of their ability to live in space, or sought to discover how to control their abilities, or enslave the Faeries. This has led to them mostly withdrawing from 'civilized planets' and becoming an insular and secretive people who tend to live among deserted / dead or unborn star systems, shunning contact with most races. They have done so to such an extent that they are little more than myths and legends amongst most space faring civilizations.

Because of their nomadic nature, the Star Faeries have become masters of miniaturization in developing their technology. They do not have large buildings or factories, and so all technology is hand made, and developed to be as small, light and portable as possible.

Star Faeries have a hereditary political organization - where power and prestige is descended from the maternal line. The Empress rules all of the clans, while each clan has its own Queen, with attendant nobles to server her. As such, marriages or even unmarried pregnancies are often planned for political gain and influence.

Personality: Lorielle is a rebel and a black sheep amongst her clan. She is actually the fifth daughter of the Queen of her clan, and while she was not really in line for the crown, she is a Princess amongst her own people. She has never been happy or comfortable with that role though.

It's not that Lorielle wants to rule - quite the opposite in fact. She enjoys freedom, and curiosity and always felt constrained by the rigid expectations the clan held for what a 'Princess' should be and do. She was always fascinated with the stories of other races that were as much a mystery to her as the Faeries are to outsiders - and more than anything else, she wanted to see them, see what they've built, talk with them, play with them.

In her time outside of the clans, Lorielle has become far more materialistic than most of her race - having a love of fine jewelry and gems which she uses to decorate her clothing, hair and body. She has often taken to smuggling or even theft in order to acquire such trinkets - not caring for their true value, but just that they are 'pretty' to her.

Motivation: Curiosity, exploration, freedom, greed

Virgin? For now

Piercing or Tattoos: Ears, nipples, navel, clitoris

Language: In addition to the languages of her own people, Lorielle has learned several common trade languages

Likes: Having fun, flying, practical jokes, teasing/flirting/sex

Activities: Smuggling, stealing, mischief, flirting

Magic? None - although some races would consider their natural abilities mystical.

Weapons of choice: dart throwers worn on forearm bracers (varied types of ammunition including sedatives, poisons, blades),
starblade dagger (a dagger made of the heavy matter of a dead star, resulting in a very thin, but strong blade) as a last resort

Equipment: Because of a Star Faeries need for starlight and solar winds, they tend to avoid anything that would inhibit their ability to feel and make contact with star energy. Therefore they shun starships and spacesuits whenever possible.
In fact they prefer the feel of the energy on their skin, and tend to wear only minimal, utilitarian garments - either for social necessity, or for practical purposes (such as providing storage capacity, or weapons)

Fighting style: Because of the fragility of their wings, Star Faeries tend to prefer to avoid fighting when possible, or to take on enemies from a distance.
Bows, dart launchers, or guns are the preferred weapons of the species.
Lorielle is a master with her dart bracers.

Capabilities:
Star Faeries are creatures that are born to live in the vast emptiness of space and are adapted to live in space unassisted.
As a result they do not need to breathe, they are resistant to the pressures of vacuum space, and to the extreme heats and colds of space.

In order to facilitate their travel, Star Faeries generate a negative gravity field such that can render them near weightless (make them effectively immune to stellar gravitic pull). In addition to this gravitic field, Star Faeries use the sensitivity of their wings to ride the slightest currents (of atmospheric or stellar winds), often able to detect the slightest movements because of changes in pressure around them.

This null gravity effect will extend ever so slightly, allowing them to demonstrate much greater strength than one would expect of their slender builds (approximately top human range).

Their most unique talent though is the creation of dimensional tesseracts. In its most basic form, Faeries are able to create 4-dimensional gates, effectively folding two locations to co-exist and allowing transportation between them. Most Faeries are only capable of creating a tesseract about 1 to 1 1/2 foot square. They use this ability to actually create a ‘stash’ which they can access from anywhere, where they store tools, weapons or valuables. In Lorielle's case, it also serves as a wonderful cache for smuggling of small items of value since it cannot be discovered, or removed from her.

The strongest “tessers” are able to create gates large enough for a single person to pass through, providing a form of teleportation, although only over very short ranges unless they are intimately familiar with the location.

Over the eons, the Faeries have developed technology to enhance this natural ability, called “tesseract gates”. This technology allows a much larger gate to be powered by a small group of Faeries working together. This ability allows the clans to travel as a group between star systems, rather than relying on larger, more material-intensive starships.

Weaknesses:
Star Faerie wings are exceedingly fragile and delicate and they are primary sensory organs for Star Faeries. Damaging a Faerie’s wings would be similar to depriving a human of their legs, hearing, and one eye – so dependent are they on these organs.

Star Faeries live off of energy they derive (through their wings) from Solar Winds - they will weaken, and eventually die without access to direct starlight, preferably without an atmosphere

Ship/Vehicle:
Faeries rely on their “tesseract gate” technology rather than starships. The range of these gates though is also limited, to only a few light years, typically only enough to reach the nearest neighboring star systems. Because of the rarity of materials for the gate, and in order to protect the secret of the technology, only members of the clan Royalty actually possess an gate. Typically the clan works as a whole to power the gate focused by the Queen, so that the clan can travel safely together.

Lorielle is actually an exceptionally strong "tesser" in her own right, capable of limited personal transport via this ability. As a Princess, Lorielle also possesses a gate, which she is capable of using individually, but only at the expense of a great deal of her own energy. For her to use it more than once every couple of weeks could be hazardous to her health/survival.

As all of their technology, the gate hardware is very small, and is typically integrated into the armor or jewelry that they wear. The exact appearance and location of each amplifier is a closely guarded secret, because they know many other races would kill them to acquire the technology, not realizing that it requires a Star Faerie’s natural ability to work.

Attachments:
File comment: Star Faeries
Julie_Bell_Star_Child (Small).jpg
Julie_Bell_Star_Child (Small).jpg [ 68.4 KiB | Viewed 20468 times ]

SFA: Lorielle, Star Faerie Princess

Last edited by Aurora on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Post Re: Lorielle, Renegade Faerie Princess
I love Lorielle. She has an "old world" feel to her with her race having marriages and births for political or family gain.

As for feedback...

You probably should change that Star Faeries live in deserted star systems instead of dead or unborn systems. They need solar winds. They won't get those winds from anything but an active star.

I think you should remove the reference to them being able to travel through stars. That much gravity control is likely too much power for an SFA. And there's more to a star than gravity. There is also a matter of temperatures in the millions of degrees (Centigrade or Fahrenheit, I'll leave that up to you. :D)

Overall I like the character concept. I think you should add some sort of telepathy since they would need to talk to each other in the vacuum of space. (And it helps Lorielle talk with all the species that she will meet. I'm not sure why she would have lungs and vocal cords.)

I hope I've been helpful. We'll wait to see what the mods think of her. :) I welcome Lorielle to our little patch of the galaxy.

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me."

Fluffy be here! Arrrr!
[a Bala production]

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 am

Ahh.. ok clearly my thoughts didn't translate well into my words on some of these.

1. re: deserted systems only -- but even dead stars (dwarf stars) still have winds with them because they are still burning - just not in the same manner/same intensity. For unborn systems, I'm more thinking when the star has formed, but it's still dust and rocks around the star, not having settled into planets yet, but I get your point.

2. Traveling through stars -- again I did not mean through the stars literally. That was a section I retyped several times, and I guess I messed up the editing.

3. Telepathy -- I pictured it being more of a sign-language/body language culture. In similar vein to your comment about going through stars.. I thought adding telepathy might be doing a bit much (also my ADD agent is already mildly telepathic).

I'll work on editing.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Well, not all dwarf stars are dead stars. Also, the solar winds get extremely weak, pretty much at zero velocity about 10.8 billion miles from an average G-type star. (We can make this assumption based off of the fact that the Voyager probes are no longer detecting the solar winds.)

However, this also brings up an interseting question: How do they move through the intersteller medium? There are no "Stellar winds" there.

Now on Discord, flarecobra#8525

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

Good thoughts. I like the sign language thing. That does pose a problem in communicating with the rest of us. On the receiving side, perhaps Lorielle can read lips.

I too had a question on how she got here. But it was past my bed time and I didn't think of it until later. Lorielle is going to need some sort of Faster Than Light mode of travel. Perhaps some type of dimensional or wormhole travel. Some type of community travel mode since making the wormhole exhausts the traveler.

And while there still may be a solar wind associated with dwarf stars, a live star will have much more. And where would you rather live? On the banks of the Nile or in the Sahara?

Didn't the Voyagers discover the heliopause? A burst of radiation or something?

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me."

Fluffy be here! Arrrr!
[a Bala production]

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 am

Depends on what you mean by "Discovered", as it's been theorized about since the discovery of the solar winds. And they discovered the inner boundry of the heliopause after passing through the termination shock, where solar particles become subsonic.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:04 pm
Profile WWW

I really like the concept. I think it is pretty original!

Please PM me, if you want to RP with me!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 am

An interesting concept.

Character Listing

Summoned or not, the god will come.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 am

Updated Lorielle's profile --
Added some details about the language development of Star Faeries, and rewrote some of their abilities to involve a form of dimensional transport for explaining their interstellar travel without starships.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Location: Somewhere in Space, Near Floating Coal Mines of South Jersey
I love the modifications. I think you did a wonderful job of creating / explaining their language. You've also given a fine explanation of how she got "here".

Welcome again to our multi-verse.

Links to Character Profiles found here.

Profiles:
Quagga - Zebra Girl Diplomat
Cabbyl information

If you want to set up an RP, send me a PM.

[A Bala production]

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 am

I have two suggestions, which you can take or leave at your pleasure.

Firstly, the actual proximity of solar winds is completely unnecessary given the Star Faeries' ability to tesseract. Just so long as they have a home star, or any suitably stable stellar body, they can create a tesseract that conjoins an area near to star to a region just behind their wings, thereby seeming to create their own solar wind upon which to fly.

Secondly, even with the tesseraction ability solar winds are never especially dense by terrestrial standards, though highly energetic, so the larger the surface area of the Star Faerie's wings, the greater their responsiveness to the solar radiation. Thus, a Star Faerie, in order to effectively glide on solar wind, they might need a wingspace amounting to hundreds of square feet, and perhaps exceeding a figure of a square mile. In this case they would seem to be dwarfed by their wings, though there is nothing saying that sufficiently thin, morphic membranes could not be themselves furled up, or even tesseracted out of apparent existence.

I'm hoping my ideas aren't too presumptuous.

Send a PM anytime you feel like an RP with Natsuki. She's not shy!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile YIM

I always appreciate feedback. As you said, I might not always heed it :)

In this case..
1. As stated, only the strongest can tesser themselves (probably < 10%), or as a group. It would not provide mobility 'in space' for the majority of a clan. Therefore I still see the wings/winds as needed for local movement within a system/between asteroids etc.

2. I also see them still metabolizing the energy of the winds - so they would need to be around stars/stellar radiation in general.

3. I'm not even going to try and get into the science of how much energy they could metabolize, and therefore how large the wings would need to be. Perhaps they metabolize light and heat as well, or perhaps they are just highly efficient, or the wings serve as batteries. It's getting a little too "realistic" for me to worry about if we're already talking about a race that lives in a vacuum and cold of outer space :D.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I got a possable solution for your intersteller travel needs.

Dark energy. It makes up a good amount of the actual universe, so a race that uses it for it's energy needs would hardly be consuming enough to really affect the universe...

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Technically speaking, the Faerie wouldn't need to tesser themselves, just a small space, such as a two inch diameter "hole", through which to admit the stellar radiation. Because of the inverse square law the solar winds would weaken at a considerable rate with only a mild distance from the star, so even flying limited to one solar system might require some of the traits I outlined. However, you can find an entirely different rationale for their ability to fly in space, and totally ignore me, which to some extent I recommend because I spend entirely too much time reading up on amateur astronomy/physics. I'm like that person who can't watch a movie without looking for plot holes. :(

Send a PM anytime you feel like an RP with Natsuki. She's not shy!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:46 pm
Profile YIM

Niellwyn --
Ok - I totally misunderstood what you were trying to say.
In general, I'd agree -- but it also goes back to how strong they are/what range they can tesser.
I also see the ability as rather draining, meaning it might be useful for emergency 'bursts of speed' or maneuver, but too draining for sustained flight.
i.e. riding the natural winds is a gentle walk, but using the tesser to 'gate the wind' would be a full out sprint.

And I understand what you mean about 'plot holes' -- I have an M.A. in theatrical lighting. I can't help but go to movies or theatre and think things like "why the hell did they use that fucking color for that lamp?"

Madison --
Unless you see this as an issue for actually "approving" the character.. I don't really feel like delving too deeply into the physics of all of this. As I said, it's not a realistic race/scenario to begin with.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next