View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Human expansion? 

Post Human expansion?
In the spacegirl stories it mentions that humanity has spread across multiple planets (I'm sure the exact number is mentioned somewhere but a cursory glance can't find it or the source, however it does mention spaceports and Interplan, the Interplanetary Police Force in Spacegirl: Beginnings Part 1

However Shokushu and the description of it seems to be all set in modern (As in right now) tech level earth.

So have humans actually expanded in the ADD universe to other worlds? Or are they exclusivly on Earth (unless captured and taken elsewhere of course)?

The Midrozi are currently prowling the space lanes, and their survey team on Shokushu are evaluating the various students.

For a list of my chars go to here

I'm always up for a scene (well unless I'm already flat out of course) and don't hesitate to pm me if you would be interested in one

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Post Re: Human expansion?
My impression is that that part is a bit fluid, in regards to the needs of the story.

I have always assumed that there has been some space expansion, possibly with the help of alien technology, but that this has been kept secret from the general public. But that is just my interpretation.

The Shokushu Pixies

Striktor, undead pirate.

Astrid, red scarf of the Tramps.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile YIM

PiaM. wrote:
My impression is that that part is a bit fluid, in regards to the needs of the story.

I have always assumed that there has been some space expansion, possibly with the help of alien technology, but that this has been kept secret from the general public. But that is just my interpretation.

Yeah. My impression was that first contact was kept secret. I'd assume it's a world where space exploration was a little more robust. First contact happened in space and was kept quiet, which led to negotiations with sentient species, the Sho treaty in place, and some trading of technology, but at present, the public doesn't know about human exploration into space. It would make sense for them to have set up bulwarks against alien attacks, in the case of alien attacks, so it would fit for them to have colonies out there. Plus, there's the ADD out there kicking it real.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 am
Site Admin

Integration integration integration...

Always the problem when two fantasies are brought together. Originally the Spacegirl/ADD and SHS worlds were separate. We only merged them a couple of years later. Then there's the Legion world with its all-female mercenaries that I'd quite like to bring in too but never quite got around to doing.

It would be easy to assume that this is all set in the future but not too far into the future. While the labs can have benefitted from alien technology, there had to be some basis for a trade-off and if we consider the present day, there would be no real reason why some well-organised aliens with advanced tech would not just come in here and take over.

Then there's the space pirates and the implication of interstellar trade which would only exist if there are other humans out there with at least a network of well-established colonies. And the ADD couldn't have gained all their equipment by asking the aliens real nice for it. Students with their basic magical/psychic abilities have an implication of some mutation which could have been introduced into parts of the race as a result of space exploration... the list goes on.

So it would be easy to assume a futuristic setting but as another option we can also create a fantasy past since we are not limited by historical fact.

What if there were crashed alien spaceships back in the 1940's? What if they had fallen into the hands of the nazis and been the basis for the work done in Germany on the V2 rockets? After the war, with the backing of big business and much more money to throw into research what if this led to much more rapid advances in space flight than the reality of what actually happened in the 1960's?

That could have led to coprorations funding space explorations to find habitable planets and mineral deposits by 1970. In the same timeline, governments, as they tend to do, would have been using the data to develop weapons rather than anything useful. So by 2000 when SHS started, we have a viable scenario for well-established colony worlds and the sort of weapons tech that could support a force like ADD.

Now if the alien contacts began about that time or a bit earlier, we have something to work with. Alien tech would still be more advanced but Earth would have made enough progress that it was no longer a planet that could just be rolled over in an afternoon. So now we also have some basis for the treaty which led to the School and the founding of the ADD. We have a fair basis for the space pirates and other rebel groups. And we can also assume that most people on Earth, while they know about space travel, have been insulated from the existence of other races. Space travel would still be expensive and restricted so they would also not be hopping on space ships just for package tour holidays on Saturn quite yet.

It's a bit rough because that's off the top of my head but I think it's a more interesting way to answer the question than to just stick everything 100 years in the future. Also it matches in with the school itself having a largely present-day feel to the way it operates, the school uniforms, student background stories and general attitudes.

If that sounds like fun, I'll work on a more comprehensive background to nail this all together properly.

Comments welcome ;)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Excelent description. Thanks Stormbringer.

*Includes a free training session for anyone of Stormbringer's choice in next donation to Shokushu.*

Only reason I asked was trying to come up with possible ideas for ADD missions between the new SS (Super (or suicidal depending on who you ask) squad for the ADD and the Midrozi clan. That gives me quite a good setting and scope.

*goes back to planning*

The Midrozi are currently prowling the space lanes, and their survey team on Shokushu are evaluating the various students.

I'm always up for a scene (well unless I'm already flat out of course) and don't hesitate to pm me if you would be interested in one

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm
Site Admin

For future reference I've expanded slightly on what I wrote here and added it to http://shokushu.com/main.html

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Just finished reading it.

Great addition. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]