View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What inspired your monster? 

I like this thread. How folks make their monsters bespeaks a lot of creativity.

I had a bit of trouble making my monster. While I was clicking random shit in Wiki, I came across the Fate Stay/Night character, True Assassin. I took one look at him and thought to myself, 'That was something you wouldn't want to run into at midnight'. Now I had an image.

What he could do came from an old Pokemon technique, Dream Eater. Mags would feed of the images of a subconscious. But since this is a monster RP site, he'd feed off nightmares.

Not content, I added his motivation. I envisioned him as part of a society which thrived of knowledge. Sort of like a hive, except that those living in it had individual thought. The society had leaders, the Maestro, and everything else. The leaders would be in charge of directing our grunts towards finding a way to stop or delay what is called the 'Final End'. To do this, the grunts would be sent out to find knowledge, anything they could study that could help them out. They would be specialized, each with a particular method on how to gain it. In Mags' case, he'd pry and poke around, sometimes taking what he'd wanted by force. I gave him a human form, because some folk wouldn't take too kindly to some tall, dark, skull-faced monster wandering about their libraries. And that's it. We have a monster. :D

(Long-winded, wasn't it? I love the sound of my own voice... Or in this case, the look of my own words.)

'Thine eyes unsleeping.'

(Interested Parties, PM. I don't bite. Mags has his ways...)

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Dendrite, irresistibly helpful tentacled alien! Message me to move your completed threads.

"You've got to be able to fuck when they can't."
--Jason Carter

As seen on Something Awful!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Post Re:
Dendrite wrote:
Speaking of "Dream Eater"...Baku ;)

Hmm, I could use that... Thanks, Dendrite. =D>

'Thine eyes unsleeping.'

(Interested Parties, PM. I don't bite. Mags has his ways...)

Sat May 24, 2008 9:33 am

Post Re: What inspired your monster?
Anytime. ;)

Dendrite, irresistibly helpful tentacled alien! Message me to move your completed threads.

"You've got to be able to fuck when they can't."
--Jason Carter

As seen on Something Awful!

Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words or so they say. For me inspiration came from an image I had saved a long while ago. I had the basic premise in mind for a telepathic creature though other than that I more or less had a clean slate to work with. Finding Aegir's image let me visualize his character from which I considered his origins. How his kind evolved throughout the years, what strengths they would have developed and which of those strengths would become redundant over the eons of their existance. I also tried to conceptualize where they were weak.

With the octopus-like appearance of the image I found myself drawing upon my knowledge of mollusks visualizing how one could possibly evolve (in a fantasy setting of course) to take on the dire traits that Aegir eventually ended up with.

His venomous bite was taken straight from the blue-ringed octopus and certain qualities he possesses are in fact traits of octopi. His detachable tentacles, camoflauge and ability to jet while underwater were taken from these sea creatures.

Then I added a few layers of complexity dwelling upon the basics of the species in question. How they survived, hunted, mated. I also drew upon the image (an illithid from the Dungeons and Dragons rpg) in one other sense. Illithid feed upon brains of sentient beings. I took that idea though applied it to all species sentient or not. I also added to it the fact that they would absorb knowledge/memories of those that they consumed and further made Aegir an oddity in that he has, from time to time, feasted upon sentient beings something other of his ilk have refrained from doing fearing that they would become tainted with the memories of their prey.

Lastly I drew upon history itself. Having decided to make Aegir a long lived entity, perhaps even an ageless being, I needed to give him a full history. What better way in doing that than to draw upon history itself whether in the form of fantastic or actual locations and events. Fleshing out a few of these details I was able to incorporate Aegir loosely into the flow of history. Naturally it would have taken far too long to detail his entire life but I thought it best to brush upon at least a few events and encounters with notable individuals to make the character as real/believable as possible insomuch as a fictional monster can be that is.

Aegir's profile
Midori Gemma
full sized image of Aegir

Mon May 26, 2008 6:55 am
Profile ICQ

I wanted the monster its self kind of detached from me so i went for a Hulk like Mr.hyde kind of thing .like a Monster with interal conflect like the Wolfman.

"A man chooses ,A slave obeys "-Andrew Ryan,Bioshock

Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 am

Well, my 'monster' Saragus is still evolving, and I still get ideas to add to him with every new rp thread I start.

Part of the inspiration was historical and fictionalized Sparta, and part of it is half-remembered SF stories that I can just vaguely remember and part of it is (I kid you not) is an episode of the American TV comedy "Yes Dear", where two missionaries are corrupted by the lifestyle of the brother-in-law living in the guest house.

So here's Saragus, who grows up in a society that is committed to the Spartan idea of self-discipline and committment to the greater good. Due to the T'ramians biology and galactic geography, they basically have control of one planetary system surrounded by five giant neighbors (a sort of intergalactic Switzerland). The T'ramians survive by being the toughest and most advance fighting machine bar none, as well an endearing themselves to their neighbors by sending out their talented young people for a couple of years of community service (if you can't beat them in the military wars, win the cultural ones).

Well, Saragus finds himself working for the Zorn Empire, who are also tentacled, but not as disciplined. So Saragus's Zorn sponsor decides that this young T'ramian needs to loosen up and decides to ship him out for a holiday to Shokushu. Who knows, the Zorn overlord might know that this has worked on T'ramians in the past.

Anyway, then I got to thinking, what exactly is the payoff, so to speak, for a T'ramian and a human. So I got to thinking of the T'ramian reproductive cycle. Decided that between T'ramians, it's almost a ritual thing, and entirely devoid of pleasure. Breeding is for the benefit of the Greater Good.

So, if you got this tentacle 'monster' who's cast into his society's version of Sodom and Gomorrah, and finds out that not only are human females fun to play with, but are also a source of pleasure that his own species has tried to breed out of him for the last few centuries. And what happens if he runs into other vices his Society has decided are wrong for him become available? Vices like art, literature, etc.

And then there's the angst. Saragus finds himself evolving into the caricature of what his society considers an evil T'ramian. Mind you, he doesn't feel guilty while indulging these vices and, as tentacle monsters go, he's actually not that bad a guy. But everytime he's away from Shokushu, he probably makes all sorts of vows of never going back. Vows which getting broken.

And eventually, he tries to make amends by teaming up with a force that wants to crackdown on the source of addiction. And, when he can't break his addiction that way, he makes all sorts of little self-deals with himself to justify continuing his addiction.

Anyway, Saragus, like all of us, is still a work in progress. Sorry about the rambling.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm

MIne would be inspired from the Darkstalkers... like what would happen if a Werewolf of a lesser clan in Makai, hooks up with a lesser succubi family? The result was my monster.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 am
Profile YIM

Well, my monster was actually pretty easy for me to develop. I think tentacles are great, but I could honestly go either way on the monster bit. The solution seemed obvious; Make a monster that was just tentacles. Goo is also a lot of fun, so I put that in there as well to create my mass of a beastie with all of his formative abilities.

The backstory I wrote by the seat of my pants. I wanted the guy to have certain abilities, so I worked those into the story, along with the reason he has sex with girls instead of just ordering pizza.

Finally, the name. It was one of the default names for a half-elf in the old PC Dark Sun game.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:48 am
Profile YIM WWW

The pixies were just one of several random ideas I had. I wanted to try the monster side of things, but was really unsure what I wanted to go with, so I made a topic in Roleplay discussions. The pixies got the most attention, so I went with it. Other alternatives were a sort of pseudo-lychantropic (former) human with something of a Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde syndrome, and a snake monster.

When it came to ideas for visualizing it, I stole a lot from other sources. Bondage Fairies provided some inspiration, but it was a Swedish game illustrator, named Ackegård (I have linked him elsewhere on these boards) that provided the most inspiration. He makes very cute, very mischievous and rather kinky fey. In addition came some of my own ideas about how elves/fairies and pixies should be, that is, neither truly good nor evil, but rather unpredictable and with no respect for the laws and morality of the pompous mortals.

I wish I could claim to have been original, but alas, soon after writing up the pixies, I found that the slut fairy had beaten me to it.

The Shokushu Pixies

Striktor, undead pirate.

Astrid, red scarf of the Tramps.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile YIM

Hrrrrm! Ilixia was actually styled not on something I had read or something I had seen before, Ilixia was styled on things that I never see enough of! One of my biggest fetishes is possession but I never see much in the way of anime (Or hentai for that matter) that focuses on Possession and I think that's a terrible thing! So I dreamed up Ilixia and she's been a big inspiration to me ever since!

Ilixia
Maia
Tiffania

Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 am

There was a hentai game Tsuki Possession I think it was called where you play a character that gets possessed and does rather twisted things, or can depending on your choices, the darker choices often lead to reaffirming the dark entity and the milder ones weaken it which can give you different endings.

Character Listing

Summoned or not, the god will come.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Oops, didn't see the year there, thought it was recent.

Character Listing

Summoned or not, the god will come.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, the background of Thorak was basically influenced by Tyranids and Chaos of the WH40K background. I wondered what happened if the Nids would ever know the benefits of sexual procreation, and who taught them, and thus came up with the story. Besides i wanted to create a really revolting and alien like monster with a "biohazard" feel to it, and the nids fitted just fine.
There seems to be a good amount of Duke Nukem too, at least for its
"Mars needs women" attitude.

Ongoing RPs:
Thoraks RP List,

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2