View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 From the shadows of space... 

Post From the shadows of space...
A single blinking terminal awash in a sea of darkness, the silhouette of a man hunched over the screen, the glow of the monitor bathing his face in an eerie black-green light as his fingers skitter over the keys like spiders across rotting floorboards. Sweat beads on his sickly-looking brow, having spent the better part of an hour reconfiguring the connection of the ship’s navigation system. The icy blackness of space lurks beyond the massive and thick Plexiglas ports, the viewing deck of some hulking monstrosity, a ship that lay adrift in the current of space for what seems like ages, completely evacuated of human life…

DATABASE LOADING

PLEASE VERIFY USERNAME AND PASSWORD:
:u: Adorma616
:p: *********

ACCESS GRANTED

PLEASE IDENTIFY AREA OF INTEREST:
: Personnel

PERSONNEL FILES LOADED

IDENTIFY ORGANIZATION OF INTEREST:
: PDD

PRELIMINARY DEFENSE DIRECTORATE
Honor. Dedication. Security.
:…DIRECTORATE HEAD: LTG Dwayne Hicks
:…DIRECTORATE SUBHEAD: MG Al Apone

PLEASE INPUT DIRECTORY SUBDIVISION:
:Intel/Black Ops

RECONFIRM USERNAME AND PASSWORD:
:u: Adorma616
:p: *********

INTELLIGENCE AND BLACK OPS
Know thy enemy.
:…SUBDIVISION HEAD: CPT Tim Crowe
:…SUBDIVISON SUBHEAD: 1LT Mark Drake

REQUESTED PERSONNEL FILE:
: Jareth Lance Bishop

CONFIRM AUTHORIZATION:
: *******
AUTHORIZATION CONFIRMED. LOADING FILE.

VITALS:
Name: Jareth Lance Bishop
Place of Birth: Kent, Great Britain (England)
Known Relations: Opelia Jane Bishop (Mother, Deceased), James Leon Bishop (Father, Deceased)

IDENTIFICATION:
Sex: Male
Racial Background: Caucasian
Hair Color: Black (Dyed, Naturally brown)
Eye Color: Green/Red
Height: 1.854 m
Weight: 81.646 kg
Blood Type: B+
Distinguishing Features: Industrial accident during training exercise compromised left eyepiece, causing loss of iris pigment in left eye and death of melanocytes in several hair follicles near frontal-left portion of crown.

SUBJECT BACKGROUND (SYNOPSIS):
Jareth’s potential to succeed in military branch of the BID was evident early on. He scored amazingly high on aptitude tests administered with the intent of identifying potential operatives with sufficient time for conditioning to be implicated. Tapped at the age of five, he progressed quickly through preliminary testing and was soon moved towards a more isolated schooling environment. With the original intention being his integration into the more academically attuned programs, he proved too aggressive and developed social disorders with the growing separation from his parents. This caused complications with psychological evaluations, which led to his dismissal from advanced learning programs. He was instead seeded into the experimental branch of the newly emergent Intelligence and Black Ops program. Considered a complete success, he graduated from four of five programs in which he was enlisted. Serving aboard the ISS Grendel, he was listed as an active duty operative for two years before being declared KIA at the age of 28.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE? (Y/N):
: Y

SELECT AREA OF INTEREST:
:…Psychological History
:…Program Background
:…Mission Background
:…Obituary Report

: All

CONFIRM AUTHORIZATION:
: *******

FULL REPORT LOADED

PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION:
Compiled by Dr. John Griffin

AGE 5
The subject shows strong initial signs of Separation Anxiety Disorder, but it seems that the cause of his aggression runs far deeper than this affliction, common in many of our younger subjects. Evidently, he suffers from severe night terrors, and while this affliction is also one common in children of his age, the relentlessness of his specific case is disquieting. It’s certainly possible that he suffers from Antisocial Personality Disorder, as many of his actions show early symptoms of its emergence, but it is far too early tell…(CONT.)

: N

PROGRAM BACKGROUND:
SUBJECT: Jareth Lance Bishop

PROGRAM X-31415 (SPECTRE UNIT)

PROJECT: Adamant: Pass
PROJECT: Equilibrium: Pass
PROJECT: Vulcan: Pass
PROJECT: Phobos: Pass
PROJECT: White: Fail

: N

ERROR. REDIRECT.

THREAT DATABASE LOCATED. LOADED.

THREAT LISTING: AC-1142

NAME: Nictus Breed
SPECIES DIVISION: Bug
KNOWN TERRITORY: Sectors 15a – 19
THREAT RATING: Extremely High

THREAT OVERVIEW:
The Nictus Breed denotes a hive mind composed of voracious symbiotic parasites taking on the appearance of arthropoid leeches. Small and swift, an individual Nictus is a creature that seems to pose very little threat to a well armed soldier, but its defensive pill-bug appearance belies the aggressive, unstoppable appetite of the parasite. Upon approaching any living being, the Nictus will attempt to lodge itself into any available orifice, pumping the creature full of parasitic bacteria before dying. The infested being may not realize anything is amiss until the incubation period ends, after which it will go through a painful warping metamorphosis, giving the shell of the being an insectoid appearance and bringing its cognitive abilities under sway of the Nictus hivemind. Luckily, the human body is adept at destroying the bacterial infection before it can take effect, leaving the circumstance of a Nictus-infested human impossible. However, numerous other species, both terrestrial and alien, are subject to the bacteria. Once infested, the being becomes highly aggressive and xenophobic, falling in line with Nictus ideals. There is no known cure for this transformation.

: TERMINATE QUERY

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO QUIT? (Y/N):
: Y

Jareth folded his hands in a pyramid over the bridge of his nose as the database screen faded, giving way to the desktop. It had been months since they left him behind, or so it seemed. It was as if the middle part of his memory was missing, torn away, leaving fragmented ghosts of scenes and images behind. He remembered very clearly the siren, remembered the call over the speakers that the loading bay had been compromised; the call to his Desk that stated his presence would be needed on the Leviathan deck. He remembered taking his time to suit up, the cool rush of adrenaline as he plugged and locked the plates of streamlined armor into the surgically grafted ports in his flesh, melding he and the armor together as one being. He remembered, taking his guns, the righteousness of his grip around them through the soft leather of his gloves, the emotion draining from his body as he locked his helmet in and walked coolly and calmly out of his bunk to kill.

Then that was it. There were far too many Infested for the ship to deal with, a full evacuation was ordered. He fought his way back, towards the loading docks to try and make his way out, but they left him, abandoned him in the confines of the ship. They lost him. The Nictus found him. He blacked out, awakened by a ripe smell of life, like a flush of spring flowers over a corpse. What he could only assume was the brain of the Nictus sat before him, an eyeless hydra with teeth like stalactites. Pink-red in color, it leaned one of its massive heads down and dragged a toothy tongue over his face, leaving bright red gashes. He was tossed into a pool of garish green gel, and blacked out again. The next time he awoke, he was aware something was horridly wrong. He ran, though his limbs screamed with agony, ran until he broke free of the hive, seeing the huge glistening tower behind him as his feet touched desert floor. The horizon before him was one of inexpressible bleakness. He looked down to his hands, saw a pair of clawed talons before him, and screamed.

He awoke again, shaking the dizziness from his mind, eyes clearing as he realized he was out of the hive once more, the massive organic tower still visible in the distance. He seemed to be dragging something behind him, looked and saw a man in a flight suit, bleeding from a wound to the head though still semi-conscious. Eyes down to his own body, Jareth saw not flesh but a carapace, dark green insectoid armor that interlocked in mockery of the muscles he once owned. He reached up to feel his hair, dragging talons through tendrils as he smiled. There was something here that was not present before, a power. Knowing that if he were to return to the tower he would probably never awaken again, he quickly slew the pilot, making his way to the downed fighter and escaping that desert planet.

That had been three days ago. He rediscovered the forgotten hulk of the Grendel, choosing it as a temporary base of operations. His mind felt free, clear, so bright and perceptive. He supposed he owed a debt of gratitude towards the military, it was most likely his abysmal performance in that White project of theirs that allowed him to break free from the Hivemind’s control.

Drifting away from his reverie, Jareth stood from his chair and made his way from the console to the main navigation panel. He browsed a list of destinations but started when he felt something hard and smooth brush his hand. Looking down, he smiled, and pet the horrid thing on the head, yellow eyes leering from four lids on the beast’s skull. It was a sleekly built quadruped, looking like a blasphemous hybrid of lizard and insect. Luckily for him, some Nictus larvae remained in hibernation aboard the ship. Someone also seemed to have forgotten a dog…

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:09 pm

Wow :shock: *applauds* That was an amazing read, and I'm glad to be the first to say welcome to Shokushu. Sounds like Jareth and Harley could battle it out, or Christine, whichever proves to fit your tastes ;] Awesome character concept.

Chris.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:45 pm

That computer log in thing, is awfully alot like mine..>_> though good job..

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 am
Profile YIM

That computer log in thing, is awfully alot like mine..>_> though good job..

And yours was an awful lot like Harley's hmm =p It's a neat idea and anyone can use it ;]

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:40 am

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 am
Profile YIM

I was simply trying to find a way to give a bunch of useless flavor information while still communicating the message that Jareth was interested on whether or not his old organization had discovered his survival, 'twas the first thing that came to mind.

I digress, thanks for the welcome :D

I'm not sure Harley would appreciate a run-in with my mutated alter-ego, but I'm positive he'd be tickled.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:35 am

Strangely that is basically the same Idea I had >> freaky..

Easy, made it interesting, and sound official at the same time.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 am
Profile YIM

Something tells me I think she would =/ She's....kind of crazy ;]

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 am

Paul: Indeed, it seems to work the best. I mean, when you're on an island up which there may be living any number of monsters at any given time, it would help to keep electronic records of them, right?

Christine: We'll have to test that theory whenever you've some time, then.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:02 am

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]