View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sole (Myth To Reality) 

Post Re: Sole (Myth To Reality)
Ah, well I don't think even future technology will fully comprehend the strange occurrences we have today at times. But you never know how far people will go to either prove or disprove there’s a bit more to reality then what you see, feel, or hear. And also, the fact there are monsters here who in my own opinion kind of defy science in so many ways so I'm not sure if one could completely rely on physical reason for every monster in the first place. Don't we have monsters that are but spirits like Spectre? How would you propose to explain that scientifically? We have monsters here that I can never see technology could fully explain, if at all.

I’ve already adapted his form changing to something generally inclined with his dark powers so hopefully in that I can find some form of gratification. This profile had taken me quite some time, mind you. The extensive profile skeleton had to make me think deeply of what exactly I wanted my monster do and act like. In the end it basically came down to playing with an old legend about Orochi, which as I got deeper into his history, the more I found playing off it was interesting. I’m not very good at histories in general, but I think I did mildly okay.

The contracts I can understand being in that it sounds like a hidden agenda. I’m just glad I didn’t type too much over it IN his history or I think I would be banging my head against the desk.

And I know you’re not specifically aiming at me and even if you were I wouldn’t be upset. I just hope I can be a relatively good conversationalist.

Creating a new monster has its good sides and downsides but all in all I thought I did pretty well, at least considering my limitations with doing such long tasks… and to remain focused on them at that.

But I don’t think I will lose strive any time soon with role-playing as Sole. Since you, Madison, and Dawn became so interested and made me think of new ways to alter Sole, I feel pretty accomplished as it is. But it is hard to try and distinguish yourself from the slew of monsters. All the ones I have had a thread with have some mighty amazing abilities so it’s not wonder you can just put yourself in a student’s shoes and realize the hopelessness of trying to fight off such powerful beasts. But I have to say that even after the whole ordeal is over, the fact monsters still have limitations and in the last act a student or a band of them can send a monster packing afterwards sounds like a pretty nice ending to a thread.

But since we’re on monsters in general or specifically, I would like to ask if Sole is alright to the standards of Shokushu now? With such controversy and things being uncomfortable, it would help me a lot if I could see approval in words.

Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 pm
Site Admin

Overall it's an amazingly detailed and well constructed piece of work to define a monster in a lot more detail than often happens here. Nothing that has been said should take away from that as an accomplishment and I feel sure you have a whole bunch of students eager to experience meeting him.

With so much consideration having gone into the creation, I've no doubt that you'll be refining him based on the outcome of roleplays which help you clarify his strengths, weaknesses and motivations and I feel sure we are all anticipating his potential to entertain, which is, after all is said, the purpose of being here and playing in TLI.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:36 am

Appreciation is in order for any flattery. Though it seems Sole has finally been accepted, much to my relief, I can’t help but feel that we have cut this discussion off when I’m actually enjoying the conversation. I’m just finding how curious I am of the creation of monsters and seeing as how I’m speaking with one of the people who employed this site itself, I can’t help but want to discuss more while I have the chance.

Speaking of which, I find it very intriguing of your points… and you didn’t answer my question. XP

You would like a nod to science and I can fully understand that, but I am still wondering how a lot of the monsters who are but spirits and some who can bend reality fit into that notion? I’m all for making fair sense for the human mind to comprehend, but the fact is that you’ve allowed the imagination to go so far, scientific answers don’t seem to be plausible in some cases I’ve seen. So it makes me curious how they fit into your idea of science when science continuously either tries to prove or disprove to not much avail in my opinion.

Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 pm
Site Admin

My own feeling was that the ongoing discussion was inhibiting your ability to move forwards and bring the monster into play. So it wasn't flattery, which I'm not much given to, but a reassurance that you shouldn't need to consider the character under abeyance still.

A wider discussion about the place of science and its limitations or potentials would probably be more useful in another forum where it doesn't seem to be targeted at the future of this one character. Perhaps that would also encourage more people to join in; ones who don't always follow the development of new characters.

Sat May 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Well I see Seraph has made a discussion about it and you have already replied, Storm, so I think we can safely say Sole's profile isn't the center of attention anymore. xD

Just happy to have things resolved and thank-you for clearing up some things also. I had no idea what to expect at the beginning, but it's a bit of relief to know I won't have to completely revamp poor little Sole. And thank-you all who decided or would've decided to defend my ideas also. It warms me a little. Hehe.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2