View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:24 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What Hides Amidst the Trees (For Kanoe) *completed* 

Post What Hides Amidst the Trees (For Kanoe) *completed*
Aeria had been quite lucky to find this spot amidst the forest surrounding the school. Far enough from school that the odds of her being seen by other students, or much worse the faculty, were slim, but she remained close enough that should she be discovered by one of the other denizens of the campus she could flee from the trees and back into the open in less than a minute. When pressed she could be quite the fast sprinter. And to her at least the threat of rape, humiliation and pain was quite the pressing reason for her to run. It was rather amusing that in the short time she had come here there were already fresh rumors abound about the forest. The newest and most recent one being that the trees were being very shallowly watered and were prone to collapse. Well while trees were collapsing it was not due to the way they were being watered. Recent events had caused her to reevaluate the effectiveness of a purely physical approach to dealing with the 'monsters' of this place. Her abilities had the potential to be much a much greater weapon if she could ever control them. So she was here to train and had actually been making some progress due to the discovery of the Xen Root courtesy of Miss Steel. The stuff was potent enough to deal with the worst of her ability induced migraines and she was finding that she was beginning to need the herb less and less. Until now she had never used her ability in any great excess, perhaps she was finally growing used to the strain.

Today was starting off like most of the days she came out here. She started off with simple exercises to warm up both her mind and her body before beginning the 'heavy lifting' of her routine. She knew she could already blast out her energy like a cannon, but had found that a gradual shoving wave was far less taxing on her. So she lifted her hands, focused on a tree and began to push it with an ever greater amount of mental force, listening as the wood and roots began to protest the unnatural pressure, the tree bending slowly at the trunk till with a snap it broke clean off and was sent nearly 3 meters before coming to a stop. Aeria blinked, only a minor headache to show for the 15 or so seconds worth of focus. That was new, she had never pushed one that hard before. Was she getting better at this?

Whether it be to offer constructive criticism of my writing (that is always appreciated), an offer to start another thread, or just random nonsense don't hesitate to pm me. I don't bite.

Life's been overwhelming me as of late and my responses have been sporadic at best. I am sorry to all of those whom I have active scenes with and I will try to reply as promptly as I can.

Last edited by Aeria on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 am

Post Re: What Hides Amidst the Trees (For Kanoe)
The woods that covered most of the island were hardly a place one could call safe. But for those with unique abilities they wanted to keep secret, it was safer than anywhere on campus. For Kanoe, the woods was about the only place she could practice without causing damage to school property. With her lover as Vera's Prefect, the dark witch put forth more effort in ensuring she does not break any rules. Though those in power in the school and most monsters knew she was a true witch, it was probably better to not make the list who know this any larger than needed.

Finally with some free time to herself, Kanoe explored the woods. Her black flowing robes wisped softly across the grass as she followed a few trails into the forest. She knew the risks involved but then against the same risk of monster attacks could apply literally anywhere on this cursed island. It felt like it has been forever since she had some true practice with her more offensive magicks.

A loud crash caused the witch to jump in shock. Looking in the direction of the sound, she could see birds startled and taking flight. Monsters were not known for being making such a ruckus as that would scare away potential prey. Was it some sort of construction happening?

Curiosity taking the better of her, the witch cut off the trail and towards the sound of the disturbance. Her eyes widen slightly as she came to find a student and a fallen tree nearby. Looking around, she saw no equipment or anything that could possibly knock over the tree. Then again, there seemed to be no clean cuts on the tree at all. It was like it was pushed over by a force or heavy weight. Unsure who this student was, she tried to move closer without making too much noise. Perhaps this was another gifted student looking for practice.

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 am

Well shit. She had done it this time. Not only had she made enough of a racket to attract the attention of anything within likely a mile of where she was, but she had done damage to a tree that would be impossible to explain by natural means. The other trees had at least fallen in one piece! Hands slid up into her short hair, an exasperated sigh escaping her as she went to where she had dropped her backpack. She wore a simple workout tank top and jeans today, perfect for blending back in with the crowds of girls who worked out at the edge of the forests. She figured it was time to do just that. The last thing she wanted to do was be seen, not realizing at all that there already was someone watching her. She paused as she was walking away from the fallen tree, glancing back at it and breathed out as she made a fist. Spinning she thrust her palm in the direction of the tree and let out a blast of force. Since she was already going to abandon this place she figured a true test of her abilities wouldn't be too much. The force made the bark of the tree explode inward, sending the two foot or so diameter trunk into a slow roll, branches snapping off as it did, and all that Aeria felt for it was a brief since of vertigo and a stab of pain, rather than debilitating agony. She really was getting better at this, and that brought a small smile to her face. A brief one to be sure as she realized the danger of just standing around at the scene, turning back in the direction of campus and setting off towards it in a slow jog. It seemed she'd have to find a new place to train, a shame. But she was still relatively new to this concept of honing her ability. She still had yet to develop true control over it. Finesse she figured would come with practice.

Whether it be to offer constructive criticism of my writing (that is always appreciated), an offer to start another thread, or just random nonsense don't hesitate to pm me. I don't bite.

Life's been overwhelming me as of late and my responses have been sporadic at best. I am sorry to all of those whom I have active scenes with and I will try to reply as promptly as I can.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:01 am

The woman seemed to have realized the noise would attract attention as well. Kanoe watched as the student turned and thrusts out her palm towards the trunk. Even the witch was impressed at the damage it did. She felt no mana being channeled and seemed to be a raw force coming from the woman's body. It was definitely her taste of power though the methods and elements were completely different.

The student seemed pleased of the results of the training and was preparing to leave. They would no doubt have to get away from this area as the sound would easily carry to campus or deeper into the forest. But there was no telling when or if she will find this student again. It would do some good to at least let the student know she was not alone on this island.

Sighing softly, the witch stepped out onto the small trail Aeria was jogging for. Hopefully the student would see that the secret was out and stop. Kanoe crossed her arms infront of her chest as she looked over at the heavily damaged tree and trunk. "A bit much..." she said softly, "If the staff sees the woods as too dangerous, they may make it off limits. Then you will have even less places to practice. An interesting skill you have. I cannot even sense you preparing it so it must be something involving the mind alone, yes?"

Kanoe figured opening with some basic knowledge of the subject would spark some interest in the other woman. It was hard to tell if this student was only a beginner or already knew all this. She just hopes the secret is not so important that she will have to defend herself, that would be troublesome.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Aeria's noticed motion in her peripheral vision as Kanoe began to move, slowing her jog to a walk and by the time she emerged on the trail Aeria came to a stop a handful of meters from her, expression stuck between irritation at herself for not noticing the woman earlier, curiosity, distrust and tightly controlled fear of the oddly dressed woman. Black robes? She was reminded of stories of black clothed witches haunting the woods of the backlands of her home country. And had she been anywhere else she would have pushed past the woman, but recent experiences had opened her mind to certain previously held impossibilities. If monsters were real then could witches be real? And if she was indeed a witch whose side was she on?

She didn't look back at her handiwork, but she did gesture towards it lightly, her voice ringing out clear in the silence that always seemed to linger after a loud noise. "The initial bit was a mistake, the latter me making the best of it. I try not to be so clumsy. But I don't really think this is the best of places to discuss this. Unless I miss my guess that racket I just created is going to attract unwanted attention."

She went silent at that, not divulging any more information till she was both certain of the black robed woman's intentions and more importantly that they were safely away from this place. But her mind was racked with questions, thoughts and assumptions. Judging by the way Kanoe spoke, the woman also possessed some sort of ability, that she was almost certain of. What that was was not so clear. She mentioned something about sensing? The only thing Aeria was in disagreement on was what the staff would do. Having run into something out here before she had realized the value this placed served to them and their... pets? Wards? She really didn't know what the relationship between the human faculty and the creatures of this place was. Maybe this woman, if she proved trustworthy could fill some of these gaps in her knowledge. And if she wasn't... well she would see what that explosive force could do to a human sized target.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Kanoe smiled softly at the looks she was getting from the other woman. Her outfit was anything but normal. Looked more like something one would wear to a rennaissance fair. But seeing the hesitation to press further, this student no doubt had at least a small belief in witches. Much better than those who completely doubt magic exists.

Aeria had every right to be apprehensive. The dark witch did not even trust herself these days much less anyone else. But this was an opportunity that she did not wish to pass up. "It will take time but I do believe someone will come looking," she said cooly, "So perhaps a place more private is in order. My apologies, I suppose introductions are needed. My name is Kanoe Shade, a junior in Shokushu. Though I doubt you will take my word alone, yes I am a student and not something...else."

She was uncertain if the student knew about monsters on the island. But it was usually a safe bet unless the students was a recent newcomer. Why else would someone practice with forces that can kill someone? Ok bad example.

"Were you heading anywhere particular or shall we find another quiet place in the woods to talk?" she asked as she turned towards the direction Aeria was heading, "You seem to want to keep this a secret for now so I know you are thinking of speaking to me one way or another so shall we?" Hopefully the talking will be done with words and not powers.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:44 pm

Aeria's expression shifted slightly at the mention of the 'else' in Kanoe's greeting, almost a wince, and she replied in a tone that perhaps was just a fraction more trusting of the woman "Aeria Negresca, freshman and also human. But you're right about me not trusting you. Many things here have a habit of not being what they seem by my brief experiences."

She gestured in the direction of the campus and continued "I prefer somewhere far enough away from everyone else that we can't be overheard, but we can be seen. Is that suitable for you?" In and of itself the question was a test. She did not like the word 'private' anymore. Private meant alone. Alone meant vulnerable. Safety in numbers after all.

Regardless of how Kanoe answered her question Aeria would make her way towards campus, breaking free of the trees and circling to the right to wrap around towards the PE fields. Once there, in plain sight by anyone looking, but far enough away to assure there would be no eavesdropping she would sit and turn her head towards Kanoe if she had chosen to follow her asking "You also speak as if you have an ability. I would wish to know what it is. Mine is close to what you asked earlier. I focus my mind on an object and can exert forces on it. I am not entirely certain how it works and am not exactly... well I lack the capability to use it subtly... my training is making an effort to be able to control it more effectively. And as you can see it is going about as well as I expected it to, though in comparison to what I could do a week ago it is much more controlled."

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

The little wince spoke many words to the witch. Though these student was a freshman, the young student seemed to be well aware of just what else meant on this island. Things are so much easier to work with when the pieces fall in their appropriate places.

She found the idea of alone but seen a bit risky if not a little amusing. "As you wish," she replied with a soft smile, "If you do not mind others seeing someone like myself around you. Students tend to be frightened of the unknown.." She allowed Aeria to lead the way, returning to campus and moving to the track fields. There were some students running laps but they would not be able to hear any of their conversation while they focus on their run.

Aeria's question was expected. It would not be fair or polite to question this woman without giving a little in return. The staff and monsters knew that she was a witch so her secret is pretty much known by the enemy already. "As cliche as my choice of clothing is, it is accurate in revealing what I am and what I study," she began, "I am a witch and I know how to cast magic spells. I do not turn people into newts despite the rumors but my magic is capable of causing harm. I suppose if I were to compare some of my magic to your ability, it would be similar in outcome but created and executed completely different. I can control darkness and shadows which I can focus into a sort of concussive blast much like your kinetic attack. But the dark element of my magic tends to also chill one to the bone, the cold chill of death would be best to describe such a...sensation. While your power involves the mind only, I focus on something known as mana which flows through all things and existence. It is what spell users channel to create a variety of effects depending on the elements used."

The witch watched the students running track take a break and gossip amongst each other. "You seem to know a little bit about what is going on here on this island. A pity so many of them are too ignorant or stupid to realize alot of strange things are happening. But I suppose there is little they can do even if they did know. Ignorance is bliss afterall." shaking her head slightly she looked over at Aeria, "Now that you know I have power as well, I suppose I should ask why you are working so hard to blast trees into kindling. I believe I already know the answer but I would like to hear it from you first." It had been so long since she met a student who was aware of what was happening and actually trying to prevent it. Her own hope had long since faded away when both herself and her lover were taken as slaves by a stronger being. It was too late for her but perhaps she could provide a little help for this one.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Aeria obviously did not mind Kanoe being seen with her, though she was a bit curious as to why being seen with her could be taken as a negative "You have a reputation?"

She settled herself on the grass while Kanoe explained her ability and its source, her expression shifting from interested, to disbelieving, to concerned and to a myriad of others before finally settling on bemused as she finished with her description. "You know..." She uttered aloud with a faint chuckle of honest humor "Despite my own ability had you told me this before I had come here I'd have thought you were insane..." She leaned back, hands resting on the grass to support her weight, gazing skywards and continued offhandedly "This place... I can hardly imagine it exists sometimes. Truly ignorance is a bliss. Sadly I was born with bad luck, an inquisitive nature and intelligence." Another faint chuckle escaped her at that.

At Kanoe's question as to her reasons for training that faint bemused smile turned sour and she sighed lightly "An effort in futility really. I hardly expect to be able to hurt many of them. But I just... have issues taking things lying down. They want me they're going to have to fight tooth and nail to get me" Gray eyes turned towards Kanoe and she shrugged lightly "It's really all we can do right? Struggle? Unless I miss my guess this place is escape proof and while we may have an advantage in numbers, they hold all the cards."

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:15 pm

The witch smirked slyly as she gently brushed strands of hair away from her face. "Well even the ignorant have imaginations. Being a cold ice queen as they say does not help the gossip either. But they do not matter..." In many ways, she found herself no better than a monster. She went beyond human limits and had no interest in ordinary mortals. It was a lonely path but a preferred one.

"Well even story books, witches were still unbelievable or insane as you put it," she replied softly, "Perhaps you are somewhat correct. Magic is not exactly safe to learn." Kanoe shook her head slightly. No reason to go into such a topic. Not when there were much bigger matters at hand. As she expected, Aeria's reason was much like everyone else. They knew deep down it was useless to fight but they just had to. To stop fighting means the monsters win even if the students have yet to win even a single battle.

It was Kanoe's turn to wince slightly at the mention of taking things while lying down. That was perhaps too accurate of a description. But there was something to admire in Aeria's reason. It reminded her of her earlier years. Earlier years, she must sound old even if it has only been two years.

As much as she hated to be the one to bring things down, the witch decided to continue with the topic. "We cannot even say we have advantage in numbers... I have been here for two years already and can say there are many different types of monsters, demons, even angels roaming around the island. And with only a few students knowing something is going on and the rest believing we are insane, we are on our own in this. Not to mention the school itself and the labs nearby, they must know something is going on," she gave a weak smile, "My apologies, it has been difficult. I am pleased to hear you are struggling as best as you can. I too try to develop my powers as much as possible. But, many monsters can endure, resist, or regenerate at an insane level. That is assuming they can be harmed at all."

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 pm

A chuckle that was born from equal parts amusement and bitterness escaped Aeria as she responded "Quite the pep talk we are having. Outgunned, out numbered when you put it that way as well and the staff fully knows about it and supports it." Well she at least believed that, especially with what Elise had told her about a few of her detentions. she shook her head faintly and let her head fall back onto the grass, her hands intertwined behind her head and muttered "And no need to tell me about a few of their regenerative capabilities. I learned that first hand"

She was silent for a few moments, staring up at the clouds as they floated along before asking "Not to be rude but how do you do it? Remain sane I mean." She shook her head lightly and continued swiftly "Never mind. Forget I asked. But have you ever thought of forming a small group to resist the... monsters? They don't seem to work together, maybe a group can take them out where one would fail."

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 am

~...how do you do it? Remain sane...~

Kanoe had no words to say to that. What could she possibly say? Should she start with how she had already lost it and gave in or perhaps how she and her lover are slaves to one of the very monsters that this one may face in the future? Kanoe gripped her arm with her other hand to keep herself from trembling. Questions like that reminded her how weak she really was.

She could not describe how thankful she was when Aeria decided to move on from the question though her fingers continued to dig into her arm. Shaking her head slowly she managed to keep on task. "I know a few students.." she said faintly, "But students that have potential tend to be taken much more often than ordinary students. Perhaps because of the surplus of mana our bodies contain or perhaps it is just a matter of their sick tastes. For now, I just learn what I can from other gifted students and perhaps teach them what I know. It really is all I can do at this point. Without any heavy weaponry, ordinary students have no real way to fight this and even then. To have powerless students try to fight, they would only end up being bait and toys in the hands of monsters." She had already spoken to her lover about the more athletic but non gifted students. They could be decoys but nothing more as physical attacks generally did very little to a monster's greater strength.

Seeing the track runners leaving, she really did not want to be caught out in the open. Even out in the open field there was a sort of stillness that nagged at her paranoia. She already knew that monsters can be invisible. They could be watching, listening. "Forming a large group would attract attention. All it would take is a few captures and the entire group could be revealed. Or worse, they play along and show just how helpless we are. I'm... I'm sorry I should not say such things."

The witch turned away from the woman. She cursed herself for sounding so stupid. This woman was trying to fight. Why was she bringing up nothing but the worst of it all? It hurt. It truly hurt knowing that fighting can only go so far. A building can only be rebuild so many times before it is unable to support itself from past damage. Kanoe shuts her eyes, taking deep breaths. She just needed calm down, calm down.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am

Aeria sighed out lightly and rolled up to her feet to place a hand on the woman's shoulder, trying to at least provide a small measure of apology to her. Elise had a similar reaction to some of her phrases. She forgot that she was not the first female who had tried to fight. And even she wasn't sure she could keep up a losing battle year after year. She tried to keep her uncertainty, fear and even a tinge of sadness from her face as her mind went of a negative tangent spree and said in an as relieving voice that she could manage "You don't need to beat yourself up for telling me the truth. False hope isn't something that I asked for. I'll keep on resisting until it becomes impossible for me to do so. It's just that simple" Her tone was resolved, resolute. It was clear she expected to fail. But she'd be damned if she made it easy.

Her hand fell away from Kanoe's shoulder, she swaying awkwardly as she was at a loss of what else to say. Part of her felt it would be best to simply walk away, another part wanted to just chat with someone who also had the strain of talent on themselves. But that division made choosing rather difficult.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 am

She nods her head gently. It was a mixture of frustration and warmth that flowed through her thoughts. She hated herself when she became like this. But at the same time she was glad that Aeria understood or at least did not mock her for how she was now. Kanoe wiped her eyes before turning to the face the other woman.

"Its all we can do," she replied with a weak smile, "Just a few more years right?" It was the only reassuring thing she could offer the woman. Even then it did not apply to her or her lover. They belonged to Natsuki and nothing would ever change that. She could only hope that the other students could possibly escape after they get their degree here.

"As I said before, I try to teach gifted students while learning more of their unique abilities or paths of magic," she said softly, "So.. Would you like to go somewhere else? I know this area is open but... The students have left and... Well I just wish to be inside. I have tea in my room if you like unless you have another preference. We can speak more about your kinetic ability and I am willing to reveal a little of what I can do. I will not be blowing up any trees though." Kanoe smirked, trying to lighten the mood a little.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 am

Aeria looked around and indeed the few others who had been about were gone. She felt a sense of vulnerability grow within her and she nodded lightly to Kanoe "Indeed. Just four years for me. And I suppose so. Could always use a second opinion in how to use my abilities. Until now I've been going by trial and error."

She gestured towards campus, Kanoe's joke at her expense earning her a sheepish chuckle out of Aeria and all she uttered was "Lead the way." Following after her and into the school buildings. She had yet to be ambushed in here so she felt the tension leave her body as soon as she was inside. How long that would last would be anyone's guess.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next