View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Tilting the Hourglass (Elise) 

Post Tilting the Hourglass (Elise)
Time seemed to slow to a crawl as Katie stood outside of the door to Elise's dorm. Dressed in a pair of hip-hugging jeans and a tight black baby-doll tee printed with the legend “Alkaline Trio,” she comforted herself with the thought that she at least looked casual in comparison to the anxiety bubbling beneath the surface. She hadn't been on campus for very long, but had already heard that this was the place to go for any type of goods that might be viewed as subversive by the school administration, the veritable black market of the university.

She finally willed herself to knock, feeling her hand impacting the cool surface of the wood, a couple of crumpled bills clenched in her other hand. She wasn't entirely sure what she might purchase, had just brought the money in case, but it was always good to scope out what might be in stock.

Standing before the entrance, she waited for Elise's response, unbearably nervous and unable to figure out why.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 am

and knocks, and knocks. Seems like El's not there, even though Katie can hear dull notes drifting through the door. Just when she's about to turn and leave, the door creaks open. Elise, lounged in frame, her body blocking entrance to the room, door half cocked. From the room drifts strange noise, ambient, lit by a variety of instruments and seeming random blending of animal samples. Someone properly schooled might be able to place it as Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma", but that would be impressive - it's probably their most bizarre, esoteric recording. Her yawn is epic, like a wolf trying to swallow a goose whole - bleary-eyed, bare foot with a pair of pink boy shorts and a red Che Guevara camisole. Her eyes browse Katie with the keen glint of a predator too small to not be clever. A dark brow rises. "Yeah?"

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:15 am

"Oh, I'm sorry to bother you..." she started off, twiddling her thumbs playfully and staring off into the middle distance in a completely obvious but cute act of faux confusion, "I was wondering if you might be able to help me. You see, I'm rather new here, just got off of the plane a week or so ago, and I had heard that some lucky girl on this floor had been graced with the amazing coincidental discovery of a figurative ton of school contraband. I was hoping that I might be able to relieve her of the weight of some of those goods, might you direct me to her room?"

She smirks softly, lifting her eyebrows in a quizzical glance, her arms folded behind her back as she rocks from heel to toe, giving the girl before her a quick once-over. A soft pink blush rises to her cheeks as she confirms that the girl before her was indeed very attractive and dressed quite scantily at that.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Her eyes are settled listlessly on Katie, her arms crossed, her hip bumped against the frame. You probably wouldn't know by looking at her, but she's running through insults in her head, roughly ten barbs per second. Like, where do you start ever? There's a silence - awkward for Katie probably - while Elise just looks at the other girl. She's pinching the bridge of her nose tightly. "The least you could have done is brought breakfast..." Brow up. "And you think, maybe, standing in the public hallway with a wad of cash in your hand and yelling about if I've got anything illegal... Maybe you could not do that next time?"

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 am

Katie blushes bright red, looking down to her feet in that worried, awkward silence. She was rather used to being made fun of, but being outright berated by the girl in the middle of the hallway had taken her a little by surprise. She sighed a little, keeping her composure in check as she brought her eyes back up to the form of the other girl, looking haughty and defiant standing there in her evening clothes, hip resting on the doorjamb.

“I...” she sighs heavily again, rubbing the back of her head, “I'm sorry, I act stupid when I'm nervous... could I just come in, so if I fuck up again it'll be in private?” her face turns hopeful, head tilted a little to the side.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 am

She steps out of the way to let the girl in. There's a twist to her lips. Wry. You might call it a smirk. DVD's and books line the walls, a bed against the window, a desk in the corner that just seems a repository for an old stereo system and random junk. Her wall's a collage of images and posters - Reagan smiling on the poster for The Killers here, Lennon there in full psychedelic glory, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Stooges, The Smiths, The Cure, The Kinks, Dr. Strange there, and Bob Masse everywhere, great concert poster prints torn out of a twelve month calendar. She settles into her office chair, one foot on the floor, the other raised into the seat in front of her, her chin nestled atop that knee. Eyes watch Katie like a keen predator. "So what's your name? and whatcha looking for?"

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 am

To say Katie was impressed by the presented selection would be a supreme understatement. She stepped inside, awed by the sheer amount of goods present in one place, a little curious as to how they might have accrued so much capital. She clears her throat, taking a stroll into the room and peering up at the posters, approving for the most part, but she had her own for the moment. Thumbing through the crumpled bills in her hand, she counted her cash, blushing a little as she turned back to Elise.

“Kaitlyn, Kaitlyn Dyer...” she says, trailing off as she goes back to examining a number of the goods present, “I was looking for an mp3 player, actually, something in the 30 – 60 gig range if you have it. I was out for a run the other day and I... and it broke.” she finishes, a small blush rising to her cheeks.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:22 am

"Yeah, sucks doesn't it, the way things just have a habit of breaking around here? I'm El." Reaching under the desk, she pulls out a box, stuffed with various electronics. She's not too anal about sorting, and so the contents are a mish-mash of recording devices, abstract gizmos, and highly mechanized sex toys. Christ. You can't imagine the amount of sex toys around this fucking campus. "That's my stuff you're looking at. Not for sale." She pushes the box towards the girl.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 am

Katie turns, looking a little startled as she nods, moving back to take the box, “Quite the collection you've picked up, I'm impressed,” she smiles, taking the box and beginning to dig through it, slowing down and digging through it a little more carefully when she notices the assortment of what she can only assume to be used sex toys filling the box alongside the other more 'vanilla' electronics.

“Oh!” she says quickly, realizing she was bing a little impolite, “I'm Katie, by the way, nice to meet you,” she gives her a soft smile before looking back into the box of electronics.

“I just wish I could've avoided this whole ordeal. Of course, stupid me, thinking I could safely jog on the school's jogging path...” she trails off bitterly, looking for an mp3 player that either matched or at least neared her own quality-wise.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Her chin resting on raised knee. Eyes follow Katie, keen, unblinking. She shrugs. "I do what I can." There's a low retention rate in this school, which translates into surplus goods. She licks at her lips, letting the girl browse.

"Yeah. Well. Things have a habit of breaking around here. You'll have to get used to it."

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Katie pulls an older Creative Zen from the box. It wasn't the newest model, nor was it as good as the one she broke, but it would work with the program she had on her laptop and it could hold a semi-decent amount of songs. Another look around the room, smiling faintly at the decorations.

She held it up to the girl, sighing softly, “So... how much do I owe you?” She bit down a little on her lower lip, hoping that she had brought enough money with her.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]