View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Prototypes (Katarina) 

Post Prototypes (Katarina)
Shai’s steel gray eyes had no luster, not even the slightest glimmer of happiness. Her finger absently thumbing the pool stick she held in her hands. She’d been this way for nearly an hour, staring with emptiness at the perfectly stacked pool table, yet unable to break. To be honest she hadn’t even come down to the Commons to play pool, all week she’d had that innate feeling that she was being watched. A mockery to her feelings. She wasn’t even able to properly reflect in order to keep the façade of ignorance to her past. She knew that wretched woman was behind all of this, the headmaster’s pet. While she had finally felt at ease, that she was at last alone it allowed her to dwell in her memories.

“I will find you Plague, and you will pay.” She whispered as leaned down taking aim and breaking the table with a sickeningly loud crack. Shai had always enjoyed Sunday Mornings on Shokushu. The Commons was almost always empty, the student’s making a vain effort to repent for their homosexual sins only to fall right back into their patterns in their last trip to the beach for the weekend gatherings there that some of the student’s arranged near the end of the month. It gave her the perfect excuse to finally be rid of her paranoia. For some odd reason, she felt safe here.

Shai gently laid the pool stick on the table in case anyone wandered in, the obvious symbol that someone was already occupying the room and that they would have to move to the next one. After Shai had been shown back to her old dorm room, seemingly left untouched she upkept a semblance of faint recognition to all of the items. Though she nearly broke that semblance when she saw an item that would rarely invoke feelings in a teenage woman…or rather an adult with a late teenage personality. A toaster. She wanted to smile wide and immediately cry out “Pan!” but she had to retain herself. She had almost been certain that the room had either been bugged or was at least being monitored by some kind of video system. While she was supposed to retain no memory of the room itself, she did notice key differences in structure placement, which led her to her paranoid conclusion. Pretending to be disgusted by the ugly décor of the seemingly red steel toaster she tossed it in the garbage and brought it out with her on the way to the Commons.

In addition to her being surveyed she had preoccupied her mind with several inconspicuous experiments that wouldn’t seem odd to a student that was so eager to return to campus. If someone were to examine her work they would see about 4-5 different experiments that seemed unrelated. Oh how wrong they would be. None of that mattered at present, she did plan to seek the results of the individual experiments and would need a control. Another student would be wonderful. She took a seat in the back corner of the room by the brightly lit table and pulled out of her backpack something that seemed like a powdered make up holder, a blank spray bottle, a large ‘glass’ panel (a fancy laptop not of her own creation), and a series of small pellets in pill containers that had dabbed paint on the top of them indicating color- one was blank. She turned on her laptop, she admired the privacy aspect of it, nobody could see what she was typing unless that person were directly behind her shoulder since the computer was made of a faux glass substance it made the screen’s reflections only accessible from a certain angle. Her fingers worked endlessly at the panel inputting data and checking calculations.

She found herself more alone than ever. How stupid she had been to allow herself to care for others- “Being angry at them wont reveal what happened to them. I wouldn’t trade their friendship for freedom.” She thought disgusted with herself by her negative thoughts. It was amazing how after three years campus had barely changed. So many new faces, she didn’t recognize anyone, but that was to be expected. Suddenly feeling a sudden yearning companionship she pulled the ‘ugly’ toaster out of the plastic bag she’d brought with her. “Personal Assistance Nanobot,” She bit her lower lip. “Pan, activate.” The toaster shuddered and its structure shifted entirely, seeming to morph into an entirely different creation, the default species that Shai had preferred since she was never allowed to have pets. A small red furred cat around six months of age appeared in the toasters place. “ Pressurizing to accustomed weight…It’s good to see you Shai.” She knew it was a programmed response, but couldn’t help the feeling of satisfaction she got from hearing it. “I missed you too Pan. Begin life simulation please…” After the nanobot pressurized to simulate the weight of a cat, a fluorescent green light shone behind its ‘eyes’ and it lovingly climbed into Shai’s lap. Shai ran her hands through Pan’s ‘fur’ feeling the thermal system beginning to heat the metal to simulate the average body temperature. Once satisfied Shai began to peer into the pill containers before ‘clacking’ away at her keyboard.

“I should really test these, it has been three years after all.” Shai muttered to herself, wishing she had another subject to establish a control. She gently shook the container that wasn’t marked. Pan’s ears pricked at a sudden sound, and Shai turned towards the door at the indication.

Thank you Naoko for the Sig, you are my heroine <3
.oOo. Nasty, Evil, Wicked and Mean .oOo.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:53 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Prototypes (Katarina)
A long sigh played across Katarina's lips. She'd been here for two days and had yet to really meet any other students. Even her dorm room was a single, they said there wasn't anyone to double up with so she ended up by herself for the time being. Desperate for some kind of contact she'd chosen to go to the common room hoping to find some kind of gathering. As she entered she was immediately disappointed. Instead of some kind of gathering or any sort of party atmosphere she saw a single person with a cat in their lap. Another sigh passed her lips, this was turning out to be a bust of a first week already. Though she eyed the cat with a little curiosity she couldn't immediately work up the courage to ask about it. Without a word she took a place in the corner and unpacked her violin, deciding to make the most of the thus far wasted trip. She began into a song that was almost certainly unfamiliar to her audience of one, "Shinkai no Kodoku."

We do not go towards the light, we slide from it. We go to chaos. We go to death and death's heaven.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:12 am

(If that’s the song I’m thinking of I loved that anime ;D)

It was true Shai hadn’t heard anything herself, but nonetheless she was always willing to trust Pan. How could she not? Yet after a few unsettling moments of inactivity she began to consider that somehow Pan may have been damaged due to no maintenance for the past three years. Seemingly unbothered by the implications Shai’s fingers went back to work at the glass panel.

Patience was all that was needed, and to Shai’s delight she heard the student enter the room. She did not regard her at present, but rather continued to work at some simple programs, readjusting to the tiresome typing that she’d become unaccustomed to for being in inactivity for so long. With a casual, sly glance towards the newcomer she took a few moments to study the girl. She was extremely pleasing to the eyes, and was not much shorter than Shai (Perfect, considering most of the nanite dosages were configured to Shai’s own height and weight). Her skin was fair, most likely of European decent, Shai figured. More importantly she had the most beautiful colored hair that Shai had even seen. With a nearly silent sigh, Shai ran her fingers through a few stray tendrils, glaring at their hue. “She doesn’t seem to carry much body fat aside from her…” Shai felt herself turn slightly pink as her sideglance seemed to linger on the girl’s chest. “She seem to be about my weight as well.” Shai faked a yawn and leaned back in the lush chair, turning her head towards Katarina and offering a vague smile, while the woman unpacked her instrument.

Shai’s hands ruffled through Pan’s fur, admiring how realistic it felt. Hard to believe the entire form of the steadily breathing machine was made from nanites, more importantly made from refined metals.

As the music began to filter through the room Shai felt herself visibly relax. Each note was played to perfection, and more than once she lazily regarded the woman with an appreciative nod or a smile. Shai was musically challenged, she was sure she could quite possibly be able to learn notes and struggle with a piece if she practiced for years, but she would never have the creativity to create something as beautiful as what she was hearing now. She patiently- no enjoyed waiting until Katarina finished her piece before clapping cheerfully. “That was amazing.” She said, before getting up (rudely dropping a seemingly aggravated Pan to the floor as she did) and wandering over to the woman.
“I’m Shai.” She said extending her hand.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:08 am
Profile YIM

Though she'd played most of the time with her eyes closed, Katarina had stolen the occasional glance at the only other person in the room. The first thing that came to mind was questioning the cat, Katarina was unaware that students were allowed to have pets. As she'd played her audience of one was obviously enjoying the music, that much was gathered from her reactions. “That was amazing.” she said as she approached. Katarina carefully put the violin back down in its case and took the extended hand. “I’m Shai.” The first thing that really caught Katarina's attention up close was her hair colour. The long, silvery strands struck her as an oddity to be certain, but it went very well with the woman's very cool blue eyes. Katarina instinctively smoothed her blouse and smiled, "I am Katarina...and I'm new, if you hadn't already guessed." Was that heat she felt touch her cheeks? No, she would have to be daft to be blushing over something like this.

We do not go towards the light, we slide from it. We go to chaos. We go to death and death's heaven.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:25 am

Shai offered a polite smile and withdrew her hand and nodded knowingly. “I had guessed.” She said casually, but quickly added. “I remember my first few weeks. It was a lot to get used to. In any case, welcome to Shokushu.” It took everything within Shai’s body to keep from cringing at the welcome. Who would ever feel welcome in a place like this.

Shai noted the slight coloring that came to Katarina’s fair cheeks, but disregarded it as a case of shyness. Shai felt a little awkward standing so she took a seat next to the woman. “So what are you plans? Major I mean.” She asked, truly curious. It seemed that Shokushu had the perfect program for everyone, it sickened Shai to think about it. Almost as if to break the tension Pan came, still under the life simulation and lovingly rubbed against both of the girl’s bare calves in a cry for attention.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:39 am
Profile YIM

"I'm a music major, actually." Katarina offered a genuinely sweet smile in return before she bent down to scratch the cat's neck. "Such interesting colours this one has." she commented as the cat responded positively to the attention. When she looked up at Shai she was met with a furrowed brow, as if the silvery haired woman was deep in thought. When she was caught looking though that look changed drastically. "Its not that exotic but...its the only thing I've ever really been good at." Katarina said casually with a slight shrug. She moved the violin and case over one chair and took the neighbouring seat. "I was planning to practice a bit more, if you didn't mind."

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 am

Shai frowned as Katarina commented on Pan. Shai had never really thought about the color, considering she’d only ever seen a real cat once or twice in her life aside from pictures. She eyed the woman as she gently pat, and scratched Pan. “Interesting.” She said scooping up Pan in her arms, giving an appreciative pat, before setting him in her lap.

“You shouldn’t think that way about your music. I’d never be able to play anything like you.” Shai offered truthfully. When Katarina expressed she wanted to continue playing, Shai wasn’t objective to the idea at all. “That would be wonderful, I enjoy listening to you play.” She stood, not wanting to distract the woman from her practice, but offered a bit of bait. “He’s not real you know.” She said over her shoulder. “Animals aren’t allowed on campus.” Pan looked lazily around the room as if he knew he was being talked about, nestling comfortably as Shai took a seat a few feet away.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:29 am
Profile YIM

“You shouldn’t think that way about your music. I’d never be able to play anything like you.” Katarina shrugged mentally. She hadn't said she was bad at it, just that music was her one and only talent. The misunderstanding aside she picked her violin back from its case and started into Bach's Partita No.2 in D minor, specifically the grand chaconne that served as its finale. After a moment's play her audience decided to drop a proverbial bomb, “He’s not real you know. Animals aren't allowed on campus." While Katarina was normally very entranced by her own playing, the words registered quickly and she drew the bow to a sudden stop, mutilating the note she had been aiming for. "Not real?" she asked, lowering the violin from her chin.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:49 am

Shai flinched at the sound of the off-key note. She had considered not mentioning the truth of Pan’s existence to Katarina, but at the present time she felt no harm would come of it. As she had hoped, the young student had taken her bait. Pan had piqued her curiosity. Shai leaned back in her chair and gently spoke. “I didn’t mean to distract you, I just didn’t want you to have the wrong idea that I’m harboring a pet on campus.” Shai answered honestly.

Shai held Pan in the air and said, “End life simulation Pan.” The cat immediately stopped ‘breathing’ and Shai placed the motionless ‘cat’ on the chair beside her, where it remained stationary. “Nothing more than a really convincing computer, please do play again.” Shai said with a sincere smile.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:00 am
Profile YIM

“I didn’t mean to distract you, I just didn’t want you to have the wrong idea that I’m harboring a pet on campus.” Katarina retorted in her mind, 'Yeah...sure...' she sighed, resettling the instrument back to her shoulder as Shai demonstrated that it really was what she'd said it was. Katarina decided to try at the game the other woman was playing, "I've really never seen anything like that before." she said, though her voice held little excitement or interest. In reality she was very interested in it, but this was apart of the game. The bow drew across the violin back at the start of the chaconne and she began to play it over again.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Shai nodded in acknowledgment and quickly reclined back into her seat. As Katarina began playing again Shai silently mused to herself. She entertained thoughts on Katarina’s immediate reaction, but couldn’t hold her nonchalant response against her. She was in unfamiliar territory. Undoubtedly she’d heard many girls gossiping on her way through the corridors, perhaps she’d even run into some mean girls along the way. Shai let her eyelids droop but not close completely, her vision scanning along the dark green carpet.

She remembered what it was like to be new to a school. Though she had to admit, while most people have a dreadful time being new, this woman couldn’t have had it worse than Shai did. Her eyes fluttered back up to regard Katarina. She wasn’t hideous, in fact, quite the opposite- she was beautiful. “I do suppose beauty can reap similar results as an oddity.” Her eyes held the light and a passion for what she did, she seemed just as captivated by her sound as her listeners. A true ‘love’ for what she did. Her eyes ran back to the beautiful chestnut brown of the woman’s hair. How she would have loved to have hair like that, she’d tried dyes many times but for some reason they never seemed to take properly, fading in less than 42 hours and most of the time not even capturing a pleasing color. Shai was polite, she remained quiet, did even fidget in her chair, but the odd thing was the entire time she was sitting there she was reminded of that bastard.

He was an aristocrat of sorts. Enjoying the finer arts, she also remembered when he had carried her into his lair and she passed by an arrangement of music and literature on a decrepit shelf. She was uncertain of what Katarina was playing, but she was sure it would have been among his collection if not her own work, and if it was her own work…He’d obtain it somehow. She shuddered at the thought, offering a smile as a semblance to her own disturbing thoughts.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm
Profile YIM

As Katarina played on, she couldn't help but feel like she was being examined with a magnifying glass. Her one woman audience hardly broke contact with her for a moment and her eyes lingered for some time on Katarina's body and hair. With an audience that was to be expected, somewhat, but she wasn't quite used to her listeners being so close. Even with her wandering mind the piece came together beautifully, her fingers and hands moving more on training than on concious thought. As she began to cut the piece early - she doubted her listener was in the mood for a fifteen minute sonata - Katarina's eyes caught the shudder in Shai's face and the forced smile that followed. What had she been thinking about then, Katarina wondered as she closed the piece. Katarina offered a slight, though very proper bow to Shai for listening. When she rose, her eyes wandered towards the 'cat' frozen where it had been left. "So...is it a robot or something?"

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Shai was almost disappointed when the last note rang delicately through the air. She hadn’t been lying when she expressed that she wished Katarina to continue playing, though she was eager to get to know the young woman. She had realized that she had been staring and scolded herself for being so rude, praying that her semblance of happiness had passed enough not to alarm her new acquaintance.

As the piece ended, Katarina bowed curtly, and again an applause from Shai. “That was wonderful.” She said, this time her smile was sincere. With the end of the very reflective song, the thoughts of Plague and her friends diminished. She noticed the woman’s eyes lingering on Pan.

"So...is it a robot or something?"

“More or less.” She replied. “Sometimes my mind gets a bit flustered, I use Pan to help keep my thoughts organized.” She pursed her lips and brought her index finger to her cheek. “Sort of like a memory card.”

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 pm
Profile YIM

The added information only served to confuse Katarina further. "That...so...it can remind you of things as well?" she questioned. That cat had felt real, even if its colour was a bit unnatural. Her initial feint towards disinterest was lost as her curiosity took over. "I've never even HEARD of something like this...it was so real!" It was about then Katarina had a strong sense of deja vu, though from where she couldn't tell. She shook her head, removing the uncomfortable feeling from her mind before turning her attention back to Shai, "Where could you even get something like that?"

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Shai couldn’t help but swell with pride. Pan had been a great accomplishment of hers before she even arrived at Shokushu, but only proved to be considered ‘obsolete’ by her Father’s standards since Pan’s creation had initially only served as a stepping stone towards what he considered to be her greater achievements. Still, a lot of love went into creating the nanobot, which was probably why she still felt a strong attachment to the creature. Shai wanted to go off in a tangent, to explain all of Pan’s features and functions and how he was the foundation to her nano-technology, but in the end decided against it.

Shai’s eyes almost seemed to glimmer when Katarina expressed her interest, asking key questions which Shai was more than happy to answer. “I’m specializing in the Nanotechnology field of Science, Shokushu has an excellent program and I’ve learned much since my arrival,” She furrowed her brow as she looked down at Pan. “Though he was created before my arrival. He’s composed of refined alloys, his fur is really metal.” She saw a look of either astonishment or confusion cross over Katarina’s features. “The metal is refined so much that it is soft to the touch. He was programmed with artificial intelligence, just random simulations to display the characteristics of a Cat. I hadn’t considered the color of his fur, the only image I had of cats were pictures and red was one of my favorite colors growing up.” She added as if everything was supposed to make sense from there on out.

“He’s programmed to save data that’s input into my computer, like a memory card and instead of having to search through thousands of files to find a specific strain of data all I have to do is ask Pan and he generally tells me what I’m looking for.” She paused for a moment before asking. “Do you wear make up?”

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:42 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next