View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ask the Rain (For Tani) 

Post Re: Ask the Rain (For Tani)
She listens to the woman, the words roll off her tongue shakily, the way she shifts in her seat as if to avoid some discomfort. She wouldn't doubt the student's words as she spoke but; the forced smile, the strained chuckle deep within her chest, her eyes deliberatly adverting her own, she ponders on whether the student was trying to protect her from something. It was a unique way of putting things, this Shai's style of avoiding to directly answer answer her question comment about students and creatures. But she saw no absolute reason to push the matter... letting her fellow student push the subject aside as if it were nothing.

News of her coma and amnesiac state left Tani feeling delayed concern for her well-being. Not that she didn't look perfectly healthy, but she had the keen sense in her eyes while she watched her explain. She wasn't very much happy for staying here. Even with medical capabilities surpassing what was needed.... Shai seemed to grow pale inside. She hadn't been long enough to experience Shokushu for herself, but anyone could tell Shai wanted to go home, wishing she would graduate very soon. It was sad to think she would be leaving a year ahead of her and would possibly never see her again.

She dimly shakes her head of such depressing thoughts and gently touches the hand holding the card, a soft grasp of her smooth skin for reassuring that she had friends here would help move her along in these three years she would stay. 'To stick it out' as Americans would say to one such as her fellow classmate. 'Support to go on' was what most Russians would say to one another.

"Words cannot express how I feel towards your past medical treatment. I know I will never understand what you must have gone through, so I can only offer that I can help keep you in good spirits... as a friend," she says in a soft, calm tone. She hopes her words would be sincere and heart warming to the woman. She didn't pretend to comprehend what being in a coma was like or say 'I feel your pain'. She was directly honest, words sprouting from her heart to reassure her that she would be a friend to her.

"Well... we don't have to delve into things you don't want. Is there... anything you'd like to talk about?" her accent had always remained Russian, but for some reason it seemed more apparent when she tried to change the subject.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:09 pm

She listens to the woman, the words roll off her tongue shakily, the way she shifts in her seat as if to avoid some discomfort. She wouldn't doubt the student's words as she spoke but; the forced smile, the strained chuckle deep within her chest, her eyes deliberatly adverting her own, she ponders on whether the student was trying to protect her from something. It was a unique way of putting things, this Shai's style of avoiding to directly answer answer her question comment about students and creatures. But she saw no absolute reason to push the matter... letting her fellow student push the subject aside as if it were nothing.

News of her coma and amnesiac state left Tani feeling delayed concern for her well-being. Not that she didn't look perfectly healthy, but she had the keen sense in her eyes while she watched her explain. She wasn't very much happy for staying here. Even with medical capabilities surpassing what was needed.... Shai seemed to grow pale inside. She hadn't been long enough to experience Shokushu for herself, but anyone could tell Shai wanted to go home, wishing she would graduate very soon. It was sad to think she would be leaving a year ahead of her and would possibly never see her again.

She dimly shakes her head of such depressing thoughts and gently touches the hand holding the card, a soft grasp of her smooth skin for reassuring that she had friends here would help move her along in these three years she would stay. 'To stick it out' as Americans would say to one such as her fellow classmate. 'Support to go on' was what most Russians would say to one another.

"Words cannot express how I feel towards your past medical treatment. I know I will never understand what you must have gone through, so I can only offer that I can help keep you in good spirits... as a friend," she says in a soft, calm tone. She hopes her words would be sincere and heart warming to the woman. She didn't pretend to comprehend what being in a coma was like or say 'I feel your pain'. She was directly honest, words sprouting from her heart to reassure her that she would be a friend to her.

"Well... we don't have to delve into things you don't want. Is there... anything you'd like to talk about?" her accent had always remained Russian, but for some reason it seemed more apparent when she tried to change the subject.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:49 pm

Shai’s own hands froze when she felt the subtle, gentle fingers close around her own. After a few moments of painful recollection the student’s fingers closed around Tani’s. Shai felt soothed by the woman’s words, and the depth of sincerity that emitted from her soul. What a find Shai had made today, a good friend.

Shai gently shook away the feelings of sorrow and resentment towards the island and focused on Tani. Shai wasn’t the type to open up to much of anyone in her entire life, and she surely wasn’t going to start now. She felt a bit guilty, this woman was so positive and cheerful, and here she was spilling out her problems to someone who bore no responsibility to them. At long last Shai’s grip loosened, and she seemed at ease.

Tani’s voice was melodic, but only now did Shai detect the thick Russian accent that accompanied it. She broke her gaze away from the students’ joined hands and looked up at the woman.The smile that beamed from the student this time was real and beaming.

“Thank you for your concern, but the fault isn’t yours. The only part I regret is not waking up to people who truly cared about me, but I know that I had the best treatment possible.” She said truthfully, narrowing her gaze at the woman.

“Enough with this lament.” She said suddenly, looking out at the surrounding gardens. “It’s a beautiful day and I always love the smell of rain in the air.” The student said taking a deep breath of the crisp aroma. After an audible exhale the student turned hack towards Tani.

“So what are you majoring in Tani?”

Thank you Naoko for the Sig, you are my heroine <3
.oOo. Nasty, Evil, Wicked and Mean .oOo.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:48 am
Profile YIM

"I plan on majoring in Marine Biology for a better understanding of the ocean, and Anatomy for human udnerstanding when I join the Coast Guard," she replies, letting it be known of her goal. She knew she didn't have to go to college for the area of career she wanted, but having a diploma offered many open doors then not having one. Might as well while she was young. She only needed four years before she could make a difference.

She was a bit surprised the woman suddenly took interest in what she was persuing for a career, but it was something to change the subject on. Besides, it was a career she was proud to state. She was curious ofthe woman's own goals, but thinks before she talks. It was best to try and asses what words to use in order to not offend.

"I'm sure you have a goal from this school. What are you majoring in right nw, Shai? she asks politely, beaming with eagerness to hear what sort of career the woman was going for. It was interestin, because it would also tell her a little bit about her fellow student.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:05 am

Shai nodded as the woman expressed her goals for the future. A small smile crossed her lips. Shai couldn’t possibly begin to relate to that particular career choice, but she understood the deeper meaning behind the decision. The woman wanted to make a difference, and that said so much about her character that Shai was thrilled she’d made such a friend. Tani paused shortly and Shai chimed in.

“A very respectable choice.” She replied, offering a sweet smile, her voice full of sincerity. The subject was soon veered back towards the snowy-haired student and she leaned back slightly in her seat. She paused for a moment considering her words, careful to choose the tone of her voice as she spoke.

“I’m majoring in Nanotechnology. I’ve always been good with computers, so I figured why not just downsize ‘em a little bit.” She said cheerfully

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 am
Profile YIM

"Making technology fit in the palm of your hand... I wish I was good with technology like that. You'll certainly make a difference," she replies in response to her majoring choice. She, herself, could never possibly understand how computers breathe and work, but one may never know, Shai may be creating technology to better help with Coast Guard surveillances. She could really be so helpful if she thought deeply about it. It was a very respectable career choice; she would of course admit that.

Sitting up more in her chair, she twiddles her thumbs to think on what the subject could be next. Magic tricks, career choices, personal problems... what else could there be to talk about? She purses her lips together in a futile attempt to strain herself further into thinking. But there was still nothing coming to mind.

"So... I've heard some girls here have roommates here. Do you have one perhaps?" she asks curiously, not necessarily asking for her to dorm with her if she didn't, but she did wish to know if it were true.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:30 am

The student commented on her major, nothing that she hadn’t heard before. The student felt slightly embarrassed, her intention was to rather degrade the major significantly rather than glorify it. She didn’t consider herself smarter than the girl before her, and understood that ambition and passion is what creates results not just book smarts.

A pleasant pause ensued between the pair as both considered the information received by one another, as well as both straining to come up with adequate and appropriate conversation. Tani was the one who spoke first.

The question didn’t seem odd or out of place to the snowy haired student and she considered her relationship with Kathryn. They hadn’t moved in together yet, but Shai had spent many nights in Kathryn’s dorm conducting research. After a short pause the student shook her head.

“I have a friend that I stay with on occasion.” The student flushed slightly as she realized the implication of her statement.

“I’m doing some research for her.” She quickly added, shuffling slightly before continuing. “Other than her I’m pretty much a loner, I don’t make friends too often.” She said truthfully, adding a grateful smile towards the fiery student. Feeling the sudden turn in the wind the student peered out of the gazebo window towards the sky.

She raised her hand and let it sit outside of the window for a second, quickly retracting it as she felt the cool drop contact her creamy skin. Seconds later the tiny droplets of water began to gently rap against the roof of the gazebo, causing a pleasant tempo.

“Looks like we’re not going anywhere soon, unless you like getting drenched.” She said with a chuckle as the fresh aroma of rain permeated the small enclosure.

“What about you?” Shai asked, quickly recovering the conversation. “Were you blessed with the unknown turmoil of a roommate you know nothing about?” She said teasingly.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 am
Profile YIM

She understood the small tease and chuckles at it with some enthusiasm. At least she was trying to be a funny tease; Tani never did get the hang of it. She watches from her spot as Shai discovers the rain from outside. She hadn't paid attention until her friend here spoke of it. She looks up and watches the rain hit the rooftop with a pattering tempo to it. Out of beat as it was, it was soothing, and it slowly made the room more comfortable. It wasn't really cold nor hot anymore. It was nice for a change...

"MmmMmm, no I am afraid not. I have a large room but from the night I've spent in there no one is assigned to the room but me. It’s fine, though. It lets me practice my little tricks without someone knowing my material by being my roommate. Although... it still gets lonely. I don't like being alone, myself, but I will just have to tough it out for a little while."

True to speaking, she loathed being alone in such a big and dark room at night. Its not that she was frightened, but she honestly found herself annoying to be with all the time. Silly as it sounds; she gets sick of herself easily and likes to have someone there. She remembers something about the principle saying until further notice she was not to have a roommate. She wondered why, especially it being temporary...

"Plus it gives me some time to practice the real thing..." she mumbles to herself, still gazing up at the rooftop, almost zoning out a few times.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:58 am

The student repositioned herself, crossing one of her slender legs over the other and leaning her back against the wall of the gazebo. She had honestly never had an experience like this. During her brief years in High School, she had always envied the paired, tripled, and quartets of girls that chattered together, gossiping and enjoying each other’s company. She’d never had any ‘girlfriends’ so to speak, and so just merely relaxing with her new friend was a pleasant change, one she hoped she’d have more of.

The student let her eyes lazily open and close as the woman spoke, a slight frown crossing over her features. She supposed it would be hard for a new student to move into a single dorm and being lonely. Shai had more than once experienced utter loneliness, and while she never had human companionship for the longest time at Shokushu, she still had Pan and he seemed human enough to her in any case.

The redhead muttered something that was inaudible to Shai, and the student politely disregarded it. She had assumed it had been something personal and left it at that.

“Well you know me now.” She said with a wide smile. “I wouldn’t mind having you over any time you’d like or vice versa.” She said, entertaining a few thoughts.

“We could like, stay up late in our PJ’s and talk about all the cute tutors on the island.” She said in a rather goofy fashion. For being an exclusive all-girl school, the island didn’t seem to lack some fairly attractive tutors. Though, due to the environment they all seemed rather cocky and sure of themselves.

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:15 am
Profile YIM

"I'd like that," she replies simply, turning her head slightly to her to give her a smile in compliance to the suggestion. She had realized she had mumbled of her own abilities by mistake, but Shai must of either not heard or diregarded it. She sighs, friends shouldn't keep secrets from friends really.

"Shai... can you keep a secret?" she asks softly, a slight redundant word she had played in her mind. She was sure she could trust the woman. She had opened up to her and vice versa, besides... its not as if anyone wouldn't find out eventually. She could at least try and test how much she could confide in her new friend here. Either way, it would help her learn.

"I know this may seem a bit odd for a technician such as yourself... not beliving in possible magic maybe... well... I'll put it simply... I'm a witch, Shai. Magic, the real thing, I can do it."

Blunt as it was, she looks to the woman, wondering what her reaction may be. Maybe she had come across other magi users or perhaps not. If it was the latter then there may possibly be a problem, but if it were the first it could still be. She hoped the woman wouldn't think of her as crazy even. All she could do is watch and hope for a good response from her.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:26 am

The woman had returned Shai’s smile but something seemed to be troubling her still. Perhaps it was Shai’s turn to return the favor to Tani and attempt to cheer the student up. She was shocked when the woman had asked if Shai could keep a secret. If only Tani knew how many secrets of her own that the snowy locked student held.

Shai nodded solemnly, her eyes wide and alert giving Tani her full attention. She watched as her pale red lips parted, taking a deep breath and emitting a strained sigh as she prepared to speak.

“I’m a witch, Shai. Magic, the real thing, I can do it.”

It certainly wasn’t the confession the scientist had expected. The student’s docile features remained unchanged as she nodded slightly to the admission. She furrowed her brow slightly as she considered the new piece of information. She had long ago discerned that not everything in the Universe was black and white; problems that could be solved with a logical problem. She’d met some pretty substantial creatures with amazing abilities and supposed it plausible for a human to possess qualities that would make them rather unique.

The term ‘witch’ to Shai didn’t quite fit. If Tani had abilities, then that’s what they were. Abilities. The word witch only conjured up images of heckled hags with slimy skin and repulsive warts. Her eyes wandered over the woman’s face, searching for any indication that she was kidding or toying with her. She had found none there and took a deep breath.

“You look normal enough to me, beautiful even. I always thought witches to be…well not attractive to sugar coat it.” She says regarding the comment. If she trusted Shai with the information she certainly wouldn’t spread it. She offered a reassuring smile. Shai was glad that if this was the truth, that the young witch had trusted the student enough to share the information.

“Though, I’m not sure what you mean.” She said more curious. “It is just a common misconception that witches fly brooms? Or can you do it too?”

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:49 am
Profile YIM

That's what the term she found mostly anyone would call her. 'Witch' held a different meaning in her eyes, but perhaps she overlooked the obvious stereo-type of old hags with pointy hats and brooms. She smiles gleefully when she sees Shai's slow understanding of what she had said.

She just didn't feel it would've been right to keep that from a friend. Might as well deepen the relationship every time they were able to sit together. She blinks confusedly at the comments of being beautiful herself and having her say something along the lines of not thinking many witches were very pretty. She understood that, stories and whatnot of grimy old women with that cackling laugh. But the fact Shai had complimented made a soft crimson shade spring to her cheeks before she spoke.

"Its alright, Shai. Umm... I'm... actually not sure if I could ride a broom or not. Never tried," she admits to the possibility of flying. If so, maybe she could help Shai escape the island if she so desired to go home. Couldn't be that far away. She shifts comfortably; her soft lips turn to the side as she regards the curiosity of Shai. Possibly a demonstration... and with a soft and small incantation she slowly lifts her right palm before her. She didn't really know anything special, but a small flame, such as one on candle suddenly lit right in the middle of her palm. She takes her time studying it herself and slowly moves it to Shai so she could see.

"I know its not much but... I think mostly every witch can light a fire in their hands."

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:01 pm

While Shai had not doubted the woman’s claim, her eyes certainly widened in surprise as the flicker of light appeared in the center of her palm. She stared at the dancing flame, seemingly mesmerized by the exotic sway of the yellow light.

A myriad of emotion surged through the snowy-haired student, judging by her docile features she was not disturbed by the revelation, but her mind was a torrent of possible explanations for the unusual ability. The comment that there were perhaps, several others that would be able to accomplish so ‘small’ of a feat nearly made Shai’s jaw drop. Her eyes incredulously rose from the tiny flame, to Tani’s face and back again.

“That…That’s amazing Tani.” She exclaimed, her slender fingers inching towards the flickering light, pulling back upon feeling the heat. A wide smile brimmed the student’s face. She had always wondered about the capabilities of the human mind, perhaps the term ‘witch’ was nothing more than a reference to a person with the ability to tap the hidden power of the mind. For a moment, Shai was slightly envious.

It was quickly replaced with another feeling. Tani had trusted her. It wasn’t a prank, it wasn’t a delusion, it was pure trust. The student frowned slightly as she considered telling Tani the truth about the island, but the old reference her father used to say to her lingered in her mind.

“A fed bear is a dead bear…” In reference to the bears that were shot in the outskirts of the upscale estates if they strayed too close to the homes. Ignorant homeowners would leave their windows open while cooking, or carelessly not use their bear proofed trash containers, offering a plethora of food for the bears. Shai was certain that not every girl on the island was attacked by these monstrosities. From brief encounters with students during her lessons she could identify other students who shared her plight. It was the way they moved, and acted. The fearful glances over their shoulder, while Shai watched them walking out of the darkness of the woods at night from her campus window. She knew. Then there were the other girls. They were happy and cheerful without a care in the world except the upcoming exams.

Tani was one of the blessed, and Shai was fearful even then that by simply talking to the girl could result in her being attacked. Against her undying angst to be honest with the student, she held back.

“This is really something Tani.” She said, eyes still transfixed of the flame in her palm.
“How long have you been able to do things like this?”

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 am
Profile YIM

"..." was her response to the question. Pulling up her legs to the chair, she ponders why she even started her delving into the art in the first place. Then... her face appeared, the one who had enjoyed and obviously jumped up and down with her little slight of hand tricks- Nicole. She wondered a few times through her life if she was even alive or had some horrible person taken her away from this world. Was she successful or was she a complete failure at life?

"When I was young. Twelve or thirteen maybe... I can't really remember when I started, but I know it was possibly around the start of my middle school life."

The fire still flickered in her palm, but if Shai had touched it she would of known she wouldn't of gotten burnt from it. Tani would make sure of it. She drops her head to her free palm as it rests on her thigh, her busy hand played with the small flicker by twirling it in-between her fingers. She sometimes could almost fall into a daydreaming state by staring at the small light before her. Nicole's smiling face still haunted her every time she was able to brood over it. Her friend never realized what hurt she left behind for running away.

"I can't really say I'm experienced enough to do much else aside from 'maybe' throwing a small stream of fire at something, but the drawback always singes my hand sometimes. Not now though... since it’s... controlled and all. I wonder if I can ever do this better without hurting myself."

It honestly wasn't as easy as it looks. Every time she tried something bigger it was a drawback, or whiplash to herself, whether it was burning, hurting, or exhausting herself to a point she couldn't stand sometimes and had to sit down to rest. It always had such a heavy burden, especially her more darker incantations.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:48 am

The student saw a plethora of emotions whirling through the redhead’s mind as she considered the question. Tani’s eyes seemed to gaze off into nothingness, distant as she recalled memories of her past. Shai was mortified with herself, hoping that she hadn’t delved somewhere inappropriate.

The student seemed to breathe easier when at last Tani spoke, recalling a time when she could remember the beginning of her unusual talent. As she spoke Shai watched the flame dance between the woman’s slender fingertips, content and enjoying the display of dexterity and talent. She broke her gaze away from the flickering flame and narrowed her eyes on Tani’s face. There was hurt there, Shai could tell. From what, Shai couldn’t discern.

As the woman began to explain the depth and drawbacks of her abilities, the scientists’ mind began its inner workings. Perhaps Tani wasn’t a witch at all. Shai had read about various abilities pertaining to unlocking key parts of the human mind. Pyrokinetics to be precise, but Shai was worried about delving too far into Tani’s business.

“I can’t tell you how many chemistry labs I’ve blown up.” She said with a small chuckle.

“It takes a lot of practice and there’s always so many variables that could lead to mistakes…though I’m sure you already knew that.” She said lifting the card from her lap, settled gently between her fingertips.

She gently let the card flutter to her lap and put a gentle hand on Tani’s shoulder.

“Thank you for sharing this with me.” She said with a small smile. “You don’t know how much it means to me.”

~*^ Shai's Lament ^*~

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:22 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next