View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Among the Shelves (for Tatiana) 

Post Among the Shelves (for Tatiana)
The library - Saira would go there, too, every now and then. She, despite being actually trained (somewhat!) in archeology, actually wasn't checking out anything about that, or mythology, or... that ilk. No. Today was a day for something different. Enough chasing eldritch monsters and enough of what she knew already. Now was the time for...

Jump. The time for...

Jump jump jump. Ahem, now was the time for...

And Saira jumped furiously at the shelf, practically climbing it were it not for the utter lack of footholds, trying to reach something up at the top shelf, a bit out of reach to her at only 5' 6". That thing, that thing which was something different? Loop Quantum Gravity: The New Theories. Yes, now was the time for bleeding-edge physics that she probably wouldn't understand anyway!

...If she could just reach the damn thing. The Egyptian was left with a frustrated pout on her face as she tried to figure out a way to get the book, just standing there, staring up...

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:59 am

Post Re: Among the Shelves (for Tatiana)
I couldn't have asked for a better day to go looking through the library an see what this school had to call a library compared to my own collection. I smiled slightly walking pushing the door open and walking in simply until I noticed a student trying toi reach a book on one of the higher shelves. It wasn't too hard for a girl like me tio reach though, Brazilian and all I was a good height. I smiled handing her the physics book with a smile on my face looking at the egyptian woman with a nod.

"Betta dear? heh glad I could help ya get a bit of entertainment for yerself! That's a pretty good book, I understood bout a fifth of it!"

I was making light of the book as I walked a step away then looked to the woman.

"I'm Tatiana by the way."

Tatiana Azevedo: Bibliophile, Paper mistress & holder of the gift of gab

Raven, magus of life

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:32 am

She took the book, plopping it down on a nearby table, and sitting at it. A smile was sent back, a modest one at least.

"Ah, I'm Saira. Thanks for the help there! But..."

Then, Saira cradled her chin in her hands, thinking a bit.

"You've read some of this stuff before?... But you're not a physics major either, obviously..."

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 pm

((ohhh dear i forgot about this completely do forgive me I'm absent minded heh))

Tatiana just laughed again to the egyptian girl shrugging softly to herself.

"Ahhh Very perceptive girl, truth be told I am an english, drama and literature major but, mmmmm the smell of the printed word and feel of paper running over my fingers as I read is just all consuming!"

she'd say in a dreamy almost sureal tone as she swooned over the concept of a good book despite what the subject matter was. she'd begin to speak various things in portugese obviously flattering things laughing occasionally with stars in her eyes before finally blinking looking to Saria whom no doubt had a confused look on her face.

"Oh right english speaking region forgot for a moment. I just get so dreamy and lost when I speak of book ya know?"

she said scratching the back of her neck a moment or two obviously embarassed that she'd slipped up so badly and for so long. she'd simply look to the floor shaking her head.

"But since you're not a physics major why are ya reading it ya really don't look the type."

Raven, magus of life

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 am

Saira raised a brow slightly as Tatiana went off on her little - of course unintelligible, save maybe for one or two words with a detectable Latin root - little reverie about books. Who... who was this girl? Tall, really outgoing, very talkative! Well, about books anyway. Ah well. A mystery to be solved in later minutes. Smiling a bit awkwardly, Saira worked up a response, idly waving the textbook around with her hand.

"Errr, really? Half the time people think that just wearing glasses is enough to look the type! But, I dunno. I wanted something different. Besides, I'd like something I can't understand anyway. Keeps me thinking at night, wondering. And that's a good thing."

She... tried to keep the smile going, but in some ways it seemed distant, or hard to keep up. A laugh, but a stifled one.

"Besides, I actually at least have heard of it before. Ran into the theory online after this interesting thing from metaphysics that I found a link to from an article about the Greek afterlife, and it..."

Saira then paused, and shrugged.

"Eh. That's not that important, is it? I'm just rambling!"

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:22 am

"Ahhh no more a reason than that were many aa war started ma dear! though each and every one a wonderful important time in human history"

She'd offer a simple comfortable giggle to the woman before her rushing her blonde hair from her face as she swayed and spoke at the same time just looking the picture of wonderful as she reached into her blazer pocket pulling a small case and from it foldable frames placing them on the bridge of her nose.

"as for glasses making you look the type would you have thought me to be a bibliophile just by looking at me?"

she'd again offer a subtle laugh draping an arm over Saira's shoulder leading her to Tatiana's favorite table. one where the light from outside and shadow from the room was perfectly balanced for reading.

"Allow this maiden of the written word to introduce herself. Tatiana Azevdo at your service ma dear rambling... Egyptian?"

she'd guess hoping she was right, she was usually right.

Raven, magus of life

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 am

Saira noticed the glasses pop out, and smirked for a little bit, before giving Tatiana another good once-over.

"...Well, you're pretty tall and... look kinda like you'd be more at home on the swim team or something. I mean, I'm just a mousy little thing who never actually takes off her glasses!"

Looking for a second at the library around her, Saira took the time to find a chair at a table, and sat. She did, however, motion Tatiana over to join her.

"Really perceptive there, too. How did you guess? I mean, a lot of people just kind of assume Arabic or something like that - they don't actually know the difference! Of course maybe I'm too used to New York City's kind of people. Always did hear that people who didn't live in the US had a better clue about other cultures!"

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:41 pm

"You're talking like I wouldn't weaem all day everyday if I could; can't see where I'm walking if I did, cursed with being farsighted. kind of ironic eh? bibliophie who can't read a word without her glasses."

Tatiana would offer a sigh and a twirl of her wrist as she pulled her hand up from her pocket with what looked like a piece of thin cardboard; what in reality was simple paper which would contort itself into a small rose.

"how'd I know? well I'm not american for one, good ol Rio was my home for mosta mah life, lived in the good bits of it, kept away from the slums and I traveled to egypt with my mum for a bit, she was a scientist of all trades sorta."

she replied simply once more placing the rose beside Saria and pulling a random bnook from her shelf.

"I'm in room four eighty one if you ever need a book; careful though you'll haveta knock, doors and windows are usually blocked by books.... mosta the floor is too; in fact only keep my desk and a reclining chair freea books so I have something to sleep on."

again tatiana was babbling a bit not quite used to meeting new people though it was obvious she was trying.

Raven, magus of life

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 am

Saira... slowly nodded. This girl talked very very fast, it seemed! Almost, perhaps, too fast! She had trouble keeping up, but eventually responded.

"Ah... alright then. I don't know if I ever will, but I'll keep that in mind. And I'll make sure not to knock down your piles if I do!"

She didn't even make a comment at the whole rose trick - probably because by now, she was more than used to the idea of strange supernatural things happening. Even if she hadn't quite expected one of the students to be behind it...

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 am

Finally Tatiana realized just how quick she was speaking to the egyptian woman a sigh passed her lips before she'd scratch at the junction of her neck and cheek.

"I'm sorry. I'm just afraid I don't get to know very many of the other student."

she'd begin tracing a small circle with her foot before sitting.

"You can probably imagine but, a bibliophile like me has a couple of problems making friends when all you know about are the worlds within books."

her words and voice had slowed a great deal a utterance of nothing offered she'd blush.

"I tend to frighten people off not very socially adjusted."

Raven, magus of life

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Saira shook her head, realizing that... being born in NYC did mean that she had a native's grasp on English. And in some cases trying to follow this very enthusiastic girl could be more difficult than she expected. But eventually she got everything straight.

"I... I understand. I mean, I usually just don't talk to anyone at all. Not quite one for worlds of books, but... More the thoughts they bring me. Still get lost in them, though."

For a second, she thought about something.

"Was there anything other than reading you felt like doing right now? It's not like there's a lack of games, or trails to walk on, or sports fields, or that sort of thing."

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm

"Well I do enjoy a good walk now and then, and I haven't gotten much chance to look around the Island as of yet."

she'd offer as an option smiling softly as she shifted in her place hands running through her hair and she'd nod clenching a fist.
"Would be great if you'd come with me Saira, though I do have to admit the rumors would be quite odd two of the few dark skinned students on campus wandering into the forest together."

Her neck began to itch softly before she'd gather her wit snodding once more.

Raven, magus of life

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:15 am

Saira just smiled, waving her hand dismissively.

"Aheh, what rumors? Don't be silly!"

Of course, while it might sound like she had no real idea what Tatiana was talking about, it was just a game. Saira was... only feigning ignorance. She knew that what Tatiana might suggest a rumor about... ah, slightly... lesbian activity. But Saira figured, hey, the whole school's probably already having sex with themselves with how she realized the place worked, so every rumor with every possible person was just waiting to exist.

All it needed was an excuse.

Saira actually suddenly looked contemplative, when normally she'd just leave this in her head. Well, Tatiana did have a point there, what with the rumors. If they needed an excuse to start... eh. No matter! No matter no matter. Just don't care, it'll all work out.

"But, ah..."

She realized suddenly that she had her hand on her chin, and didn't want to look weird to Tatiana. So she resumed her smiling.

"...Yeah, a walk would be fine! I know the forest pretty well!"

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:16 pm

"After you; you seem the type to know hiking better than myself. do you need to go change?"

Tatiana would ask the clothing she wore shifting slightly into a different outfit more fitting to the coming walk through the woods around the island.

She noted the look of the girl's hand on her chin from earlier wondering if she was thinking about the rumors though it didn't matter much.

((forgive me writers block))

Raven, magus of life

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 am

Hearing the question about needing to change, Saira nodded, and tilted her head somewhat.

"Yes, I think I do need to change. Uh... did you want to wait here for me? I mean, I won't take that long..."

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next