View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 University Setting 

Post University Setting
I saw the ADD thread and thought it might be nice to have something similar for the university. Basically this will describe the Campus and what potential students might be told before there arrival.

Public view - Shokushu University is an all girls private University. The school is located on an island some place withing the North and South pacific ocean. The island is to small and inconvenient to be placed on current day maps. There is a small town on the island with shopping districts, and places for entertainment purposes. Other then that the University is mostly secluded in a valley between two mountains. The university offers various degrees in a wide range of subjects.

Galactic view - Shokushu is a sexual resort that has a earth university feel to it. Creatures of various types come to the planet Shokushu is actually located on to have some fun. Due to the setting it gives the feeling of actually hunting on earth. All though not all the girls are on the menu, so just randomly attacking will get you in trouble.

Departments

Creative Arts Department:

The creative arts department is in charge of all classes that revolved around creativity. Whether these classes be music, art and drawing, sculpture, dance, drama, photography, or art history. The department represents the collective effort on Shokushu's part to help the talents of their artistic students, and to help other students learn about the arts.

English Department:

The English department is in charge of all classes revolving around the English language. Classes offered teach students how to think critically and creatively. Classes teach about literature and writing across many genres.

Math Department:

The Math department is in charge of all classes that teach math. The classes range from simple Calculus to the more daunting classes on number theory and probability.

Science Department:

The Science Department is in charge of the lab facilities located on campus. The department is also in charge of courses that revolve around the sciences. Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are some of the courses that fall under the departments jurisdiction.

History Department:

The history department is devoted to teaching students the history of various cultures and civilizations. Courses cover history from a geographic, thematic, and chronological coverage of the past from a global perspective.

Political Science, Economics, and Philosophy department:

The Political Science, Economics, and Philosophy department is the most diverse department on the Shokushu campus. It covers the largest amount of courses. Students can learn about the science behind politics, the how economics work around the globe, about various philosophies, and even about geography and how it affects different cultures politically and economically.

School Facilities and Classrooms

Art Studios:

The Art studios are designed to be multi purpose rooms. They can be set up to teach basic classes on drawing and sculpting, or be used for giving classes on photography. The class rooms also normally have built in dark rooms to help with the development of film, and special furnaces for the hardening of sculptures made out of clay. The studios also serve as makeshift class rooms for dance and music classes that require more room.

Science Labs:

The science labs fall under the jurisdiction of the science department. Students normally have two separate teachers when studying the sciences. One professor teaches the lecture portion of the class, while a separate professor teaches the lab portion. The labs are used for the studies in biology, chemistry, and physics among other scientific studies. Some students have found their way into the role of lab assistant for some of these classes. There are rumors that there is a secret passage some place in the labs that goes to the off shore facility, and that some of the lab professors actually work at the facility.

Other classrooms:

There are other less specified class rooms around the campus devoted to teaching of various subjects. These rooms are rather normal as they contain desk for students, a teacher’s desk and a chalk board for the teacher to write on. These class rooms have been rumored to be haunted when classes are out.

Nurse Office:

The nurse office is a small room with in the actually educational building of the school. Despite its small size the room more or less equipped better then a small hospital. There are a few beds for students to lie in with privacy screens available to those who don’t wish to be disturbed. There are two rooms that are connected to the room. One is a small closet containing filling cabinets that contain the student’s medical files. The second room is where most of the spare medical supplies are kept. On occasion you will see a student helping the school nurse out.

School Office:

The school office is where all the student records are kept besides there medical files, which are kept in the nurses office. The office is divided into two areas, the first room being a reception area with a secretary working at a desk. The second room is filled with desk which the administration either uses for work, or to review student files as the files themselves are not allowed to leave the office.

Library:

The library is an area of the campus that houses what seems to be thousands of books of various subjects. The books among the shelves range from educational textbooks to recreational reading material. There are comfortable study areas located within the library, as some of the educational textbooks are not allowed to leave the library.

Gymnasium and Locker room:

The gymnasium is a spacious and well lit building during the day. It houses several doors which lead to the exercise room, which is equipped with state of the art equipment, storage room where unused equipment is kept. The main sports hall where physical education classes take place and a room devoted to an indoor swimming pool. One of these rooms is the locker room which has lockers and benches with in the room. Further back in the locker room is the showers, where students go to clean themselves off after using the gymnasiums facilities. The showers are divided into cubicles, which can fit at least two students comfortably inside them.

Sports Field:

Just outside the gymnasium lies the sports field. It is a popular place for athletic students to spend their time. The sports field has various activities available from soccer, track and field, and even tennis.

Basement:

Most students don't realize that the university has a basement. When they find out though most students find it a surprise. The basement actually runs under the dorms, and the university building connected by a labyrinth of halls, which without knowing the way or at least a map one could easily get lost. The basement is used for storage purposes in the forward most parts, but further back are the rooms used for special discipline. This is where the most unruly girls learn how to obey the rules and behave like good little students should.

Campus

School Grounds:

In between the various buildings of the school are the school grounds. The grounds have a verity of bushes and trees scattered about the various paths that lead to the buildings around the campus. In all it creates a rather beautifully scenery that the campus is placed in. There are stone benches for those students who want to relax for a bit and just enjoy the scenery.

Student Dorms/Dorm Towers:

The student dorms are located above the student plaza. The towers are located in the south west and north east corners of the building. Each tower is divided into four sections with each section housing a number of floors, and dorms

Student Room:

Student rooms are located within the first three sections of each dorm tower. These rooms have the bare necessities for students to study in. There is a bed, desk, closet, and dresser located in the room. Students have freedom to decorate their room to their personal taste, although some students who have roommates might want to talk to their roommate before making any design decisions. Students normally have to share a bathroom and shower on their floor with other students.

Prefect Room:

At the top floor of each section are the dorms that the prefects live in. These rooms have often been called mini-suites by students who have seen them. These rooms are larger than normal dorms. Featuring there own full bathroom complete with bathtub and shower block, king size bed, small kitchen and balcony. Another privilege prefect rooms have is that they are allowed to have a T.V. and other appliances in their room.

Head Girl Room:

Access to the fourth section is restricted to normal students as this area houses the head girls rooms. The only way into this area is through a key card which few have access to. For students who have seen a head girl’s room it has been described as a suite, and even compared to a full size apartment. This is because a head girl’s room has a living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and balcony. Like prefects, head girls are allowed to have electrical appliances in there room.

Student Plaza:

Located in the same building as the dorms is the student plaza. The plaza is located in the foyer of the building. The entrance to the dorms being located in the north west and south west corners of the building. The plaza houses a store where students can pick up their uniform, or replacement uniforms. Café, hobby shops, laundry mat, clothing stores and various other shops can be found within the plaza. Some students even work part time in some of the shops, as to generate a little extra cash for their expenses.

Faculty Quarters:

The faculty quarters are much like the student dorms, as they are located in a separate building on campus. Unlike the student dorms, the teachers quarters are single occupancy and much more apartment like in nature with their own balconies.

Off Campus

Mountain Forest:

The forest is located west of the campus, as it covers the western most mountain of the island. The forest itself has trees that are very close together, as though keeping each other company. The woods all ways have a faintly sinister look. Faculty assures girls that the forest is perfectly safe. They however caution students not to enter the woods at night, or travel off the well trodden hiking paths. This is mostly to keep students from getting lost, as it could take days for the missing student to be found.

The Docks:

A small wooden path leads from the school, and continues down onto the beach till it reaches the dock. The dock is rather long as it enters into the cove. This is where students first arrive on the sea plane that brings them to the campus. Once they set foot on the campus though students are not allowed back on the docks until they graduate and are going back home. Students found on the dock are punished for disobeying the rules. There is a rumor of a small boat going from the dock to the offshore facility at night. No one knows if this is true or not though.

Beach:

A private beach located south from the main campus. There is a well trodden path leading to the beach, as it is a popular hangout for most of the students. There are a few secluded spots on the beach, for those who wish to be alone. Students can see the off shore facility from here, and can also reach the dock. The dock however is off limits to students, and disciplinary action is taken against students found on the dock.

Off shore facility:

Very few people know what this facility is. Many students speculate it is a marine research facility, or some off shore medical facility. Others believe it to be an extension to the schools current facilities. A few however know that N.I.C.E labs runs the facility, and what actually goes on inside of the facility. Like the monster attacks though those who find out are either seen as crazy, troublemakers, or just keep quiet about it.

Story Index: Yoko's encounters

Last edited by Ike Haw on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Post Re: University Setting
Great idea. Great initiative. I was thinking of doing something similar but my hands are kind of full at the moment.

I wasn't under the impression that the school was so upscale though. I always pictured the dorms as smaller two or three story buildings and no real "shopping district" but if that's how we're going, I'll be happy to comply. ;) Although, it makes demand for the Hand's black market not as great.

I do have a little set piece to add.

The Reginald Renfroe Center For The Performing Arts
Built with donations from prolific Shokushu trustee Reginald Renfroe, the massive performing arts center is one of the newer buildings on campus. An arena stage is surrounded by coliseum seating and houses major productions in the Spring and Fall as well as symposiums and general assemblies throughout the year. Built near the fringes of the campus, affording a spacious view of the woods beyond, the theater above is but the tip of the iceberg in the scope of the building proper. Beneath, a complex network of plywood tunnels allow large set pieces to be brought onto the stage through a network of hidden passages and trap doors. A subterranean stage shop beneath the stage allows for sets and props to be constructed on sight and the scope of the facility allows for dramatic special effects and firework shows. Continues deeper and one will find a claustrophobic labyrinth of crannies and passageways, remnants of a complex far older than the modern theater. The underground labyrinth resembles a coliseum in the style of the ancient Roman theaters, connecting to cages, waiting rooms, dressing rooms, and private offices connected in a chaotic, seemingly non-Euclidian geography. Were a student to get lost in the maze beneath it seems likely she might never find her way out. Rumors abound of a secret path connecting the theater complex to the basement of the campus proper, the oil rig off-shore, and even of a secret canal offering an escape from the island proper. Yet, these rumors remain darkly whispered secrets, as no student who has ventured forth to find them has every returned.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 am

updated the list with the The Reginald Renfroe Center For The Performing Arts, and the Student Dorms. Hopefully this list will help people enrich there experience while role playing at Shokushu.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:45 am
Site Admin

Huh?

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:57 am

What?

Now on Discord, flarecobra#8525

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

I believe she is trying to do something similar to what Anna did for the ADD setting. Not necessarily changing anything just getting things organized. (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6291)

This was put up six months ago so something a bit more than huh would be helpful if she did something wrong. She may be assuming a bit much for some of the sections but it would not take much to make some of the details clear. Wouldn't be any different than asking for a bit more accurate map of the place *shrugs*.

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Thank you Kanoe. Didn't help that it was early morning, and I needed coffee. >_>

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 pm
Profile WWW

No problem. Fighting a fever and runny nose myself :oops:

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:03 am
Site Admin

Well you'll have to excuse me for not having noticed this thread before but it's a surprise to see the school misrepresented in various ways in a forum topic which appears to be setting itself up as an authoritative guide for use by players. This game is always open to suggestions on how to improve it but very few people here have been given the power to redefine locations.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:28 pm

If I misrepresented something, or have something wrong in the opening post just tell me and I will fix it. Most of the information comes off the main site, which I would expect the rp area to follow to an extent. The other half is my interpretation of what I see from the main site such as the screen savers/map. For instance the monsters hideout is what I at least portray the hideout is plus the information given about the space port. Though I can't remember where exactly the space port is attached to on the main site. I know there is a section in the science labs that connects with the off shore platform. There is also a way to the off shore platform from the docks as well. I would also think there was some area for students to acquire food, clothes, books, and other assorted items. I doubt the school would want students to ask there parents for money, especially students who are attacked and would need more money to replace lost articles of clothing. I'm just trying to create something here that will allow role players to visualize the campus better, and to help give them ideas on potential role plays. The theater was a player added area, but if we are not allowed to add area's then it will be taken off the list.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:08 pm
Site Admin

I think the main problem I have with this is the implied scale of it.

It isn't a massive campus with thousands of students. It's a finishing school with maybe a couple of hundred, a sick bay with a single nurse, not a hospital, a village on the island not a small town, a small shopping plaza not a mall, a uniform store that issues replacements covering much of the clothing needs and so on. And that performing arts center would look more at home in New York.

Obviously some things are out of proportion for roleplay convenience but it should retain the feeling of being a small, exclusive school, not CalTech.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Fixed the first post. Hopefully the new descriptions make the university sound much smaller, while given an idea of what the overall campus is like and the surrounding area.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:29 am

University Setting Ver 1.5 patch notes.

- added in the departments that fit the campus according to the list of classes on the main sight.
- changed the art department to the art studios.

As all ways any ideas on how to improve this thread are all ways appreciated. You can also notify me of any mistakes made in the topic about the campus, or any spelling, grammar mistakes you pick up on.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm

*Points out where it's been organized in a similor way for YEARS here: http://shokushu.com/classes.html *

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]