View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The White Lady of the Halls - For LynzMarie 

Post The White Lady of the Halls - For LynzMarie
Anne couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning, her sheets wrapping around her in a clammy damp embrace she eventually flung them off taking a quick glance at the clock (it read 3.13 am. FAR too early!), got up and padded quietly into the bathroom to spashed some cold water over her face, trying to be quiet to not wake up her snoring dorm-mate.

Looking up through bleary eyes and strands of midnight black hair she looked into the mirror, her own eyes staring just as blearily back. The thought gave rise to a dream she had had months ago. A very strange one that felt like she was dreaming inside a dream. It started badly and ended worse, but, like many of her more horrible nightmares she had started to have since coming to shokushu it had only faded a little, and remained more like a memory than a dream.

Its what had started her quest to find out what was going on. While she didn't believe in monsters there was obviously something strange happening and she had started to listen more attentively to students talking quietly, overhearing much gossip (Lyndsy is sleeping with Jo, Helen is trying to seduce a teacher and you wouldn't believe had gotten up to before she came to Shokushu!) but occasionally she had heard students talking about much stranger things. Things that couldn't be possible. From one quiet conversation overheard in a dusty part of the libary she heard about people actually practising REAL magic. Not the card trick kind but being able to conjure fire from no-where, to the overheard snippet of things that sounded too like her own dreams to discount. However these were snippets at best and she was having a hard time pinning them down. Obviously some of these accounts she had heard were obviously fanciful. Perhaps simple fantasys in some regards, brought on from watching too much tv, but on a couple of occasions the conversation sounded far to serious and detailed for her to discount.

Among those rumors she had heard one student comment about a ghost that roamed the halls at night. The student was talking to a group of other girls and the story quite frankly sounded like someone making it up, just to earn credibility with her peers, but...

...But, she was up. It was night and she knew she wasn't going to get much sleep. Her head was just whirling, not able to quiet itself and she knew that nightmares lurked behind her eyelids. Making a decision which was fairly typical of her she quietly padded back into her room, changing into loose-fitting clothes. Simply, a sweater two sizes to big for her (but oh so comfy!), panties and a pair of jeans. Slipping on a pair of trainers she quietly let herself out, her roommates snores contiuning unabated.

"Even if there is no such ghost" she thought, as she walked quietly down the corridor "at least i'll have time to clear my head!"

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Post Re: The White Lady of the Halls - For LynzMarie
“You should try to get some sleep Miss Ryder, it really can't be good for you to sleep only once a week for an hour.”

The words of the school nurse as she added a notation to her file and her ID. They echoed in her mind now and then and she could only huff slightly when they did. No one understood what it was like, no one could. She'd lay there on her bed for an hour or two in absolute silence; Her eyes would wander to the empty bed of her former roommate. They'd taken her things out of the room a long while ago though she didn't know why.

It was always like this though, it was how she'd lived her life. Sleepless nights alone with so little to do save enjoy the sounds of the night. This island was so quiet, a man-made place with no animals; All she could do was wander.

She knew there were rumors of monsters, things she assumed were hazing rituals. This belief made it easy for her to have no idea that the rumor of the school's resident 'white lady' were about her. Tales of her leading students that broke curfew to their deaths with sullen, heart wrenching melodies sung in an unearthly beautiful voice. The supposed source of unexplained, permanent student disappearances. She'd always shrug it off as nothing.

All this led her to tonight. She dressed in a white dress with a white belt and white shorts beneath; it was not the sort of thing she'd wear in public but, everyone was supposed to be asleep; no one would see. She decided she'd enjoy the halls, listen to what little noise drifted out from doors left open just slightly. She didn't realize how she looked just now with the florescent lights playing against white cloth and soft white skin giving her an almost ethereal look to her. She didn't realize the moonlight from the windows she passed made her hair absolutely colorless white hair look as though it glowed, how could she have ever imagine just how unearthly she could look at night as she meandered around the school.

Her stride was slow as she drifted under a light which flickered out, the bulb failing and the moon shining through her dress beautifully as she'd move to lean against the sil to gaze out at the celestial orb above. The lonely woman began to hum a rather sullen tune a hand brushed a lock of hair from her eyes. She was never the same person when she was confronted by this bitter loneliness of the late night.

permission do be out at all hours of the night... what good is it with no one with me?
she thought as the words of the song flowed soundlessly over vibrant pink lips.

Xui Ta 'property of the A.D.D.'

Laele; quiet, proper girl

Alison V. Ryder: Endless font of energy

Karayah; The Gray Queen
20% less insane. Currently: debating options & ill

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 am

As Anne moved she let her hand trail lightly against the walls, relishing in the smoot sensation of the wallpaper. It was odd how simple pleasure like touch and sensation could calm an over active mind. Each little fold and each tiny ridge could be felt through Annes fingers and as she rounded a corner, still moving quietly a small, peaceful smile had started to creep accross her face.

"It wasn't so bad being up at this time" she thought to herself. While technically breaking curfew she knew that while it was frowned on it was normally let go as long as the student in question wasn't actually up to any mischief.

Another corner, and this time she changed direction and hands as she traced an invisible line across the wall, her smile relaxing further. A little more time like this and she would be just about ready to get back to bed.

And then... she froze. A soft haunting tune was threading its way down the corridor by way of reflected echos, The sound banishing the silence. Despite the lack of volume and the ghostly quality it held it somehow stood out vividly.

Annes reaction was typical... For Anne. For a horrible moment she stood between flight and fight - her muscles went tense, her eyes narrowed and she felt her heart start to hammer in her chest before she got a grip on herself. Since being here she had noticed that every little thing that startled her caused the same reaction (HOW she had never noticed it before was beyond her!) and Anne was beginning to learn to control her own reactions. She was terrible at it but at least she was learning!

Getting a handle on herself she relaxed and unfroze, moving as quietly as she could toward the sound.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 am

Moving quietly in the cool, nearly silent halls was almost impossible; Alison's soft humming aside one could imagine a pin drop echoing it's tap against the tiles. The sound of softly padding feet against the ground soon caught the pale girl's ears as the light above her finally failed completely flickering out leaving nothing but the moonlight to illuminate her petite, white clad, pale form. She was a very distinct person all in all as she turned around with almost an aura of the white light from the window behind her.

She turned slowly just as Anne would round the corner leading to that window at the end of the hall. Alison would cock her head gently as it in disbelief. She hadn't seen much of anyone in the month or two she'd been attending classes here; The very sight of another person brought a gentle smile to that lonely expression that had initially dominated her face. She didn't dare call out down the hall in fear of waking people, instead she raised her arm and gestured for the girl to come over (a gesture that she didn't realize was rather, creepy in it's way.) Lavender eyes looked entirely unnatural with the light flickering off of them. It would be easy to imagine they were moving -- appraising her -- even if they weren't.
why is anyone else awake right now? I keep hearing the punishments for breaking school rules are horrible, why would anyone risk them by breaking curfew?

She'd always had people to talk to back home; Dying from loneliness was horrible and easy for her unfortunately. She was sure any would understand that -- how couldn't they?

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 am

No sooner had she rounded the corridor Anne froze almost in mid step, finding herself staring at what looked at first glance to be a honest-to-god ghost! Her heart jumped into her throat and she stared, slack jawed as time slowed down around her. For a long moment there was nothing, just the two figures staring at each other across the hall, then, impossibly slowly the figure clad in a pale white halo of light raised its arm and beckoned to her.

The motion broke the spell and Anne gave a tiny squeak and ducked back around the corner, pushing her back against the wall now she was out of eye-contact, her heart hammering painfully in her chest and breathing coming in rapid gasps. A Ghost! Here! It was unbelievable! A thousand thoughts whirled through her mind as she held her back to the wall trying to calm herself.

After a moment she regained control herself, before holding her breath and listening intently. There wasn't a sound. Not from the wind, no footfalls and that eerie humming had also ceased. Taking a another quick peep around the corner she saw that the ghostly figure still standing there, a sorrowful look on her face.

But, this time she didn't hide, or run. The heartbreaking look on the creatures face pulled at Anne in a way that she couldn't refuse and instead unfolded from the wall, and quietly walked towards the young girl, walking slowly as she tried to keep her reflex to run under control.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 pm

((odd how my brain decides to work while i have a sinus cold =.=))
Was just a little upset when Anne squeaked and hid behind a corner. She returned her hands to resting in front of her folded together neatly. She let a silent sigh pass her lips; she was completely oblivious to what had just transpired just now. She heard the quick breaths from the woman and took a quick look around the hall to see if maybe there was something behind her but, there was nothing to see.

When Anne returned around the corner her expression shifted a faint smile. She didn't want the girl to go back into hiding so she didn't move from her place not far from the window but she did decide to try and put the girl's mind at ease...
”There's nothing to be afraid of, there's no one else here.”

Of course she didn't know about the dozens of eyes that were probably looking at them, or any cameras, or the island's darker side (all of which proved the words an accidental lie); that line had also been in so many horror movies it likely only made things worse. She was assuming that Anne had thought she was a prefect or some such thing, never would she have imagined being seen as a ghost.
”My name is Alison, may I ask yours?”

She also didn't realize how overtly formal she was being, none of this was helping the ghostly image she was showing the other girl. All of which was crafted, not from the Allison anyone knew but, the lonely girl that had little to no need for any sleep.

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm

((Hehe! I would say whatever works but its nicer to be well!))
“My name is Anne…” Anne said hesitantly. As she was closer to the ghostly figure she started to doubt herself. The figure, while ghostly was definitely solid and that made it more likely that it wasn’t a ghost… But if it wasn’t a ghost.. What was it? No-one would be dressed like that in the middle of the night singing to themselves?

Anne's curiousity demanded an answer. However, she couldn't just come out and ask "Are you human." That would just be... well.. silly!

Anne closed the distance, stopping a little distance away - close enough to talk quietly while still being just out of arm reach. The light, even at this distance gave the ghostly woman an ethereal beauty which still made her wonder.

"What... What are you doing out here?" Anne asked, her voice sounding loud in the utter silence of the hall.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:55 pm

((yeah would have been nicer if it hadn't turned into a full on flu like cold >.<))

Smiled ever so faintly, it was a slightly meloncholy smile at Anne's question. She took a calm, deep breath before she offered an answer/
“It gets very depressing at this time of night to sit alone and do nothing. I was just enjoying the night sky. Maybe I was hoping to see someone and have them come and join me; even if I knew it probably wasn't going to happen. but...

she was interrupted by what sounded like a creaking branch outside.
”... then you came along Anne. I think I would like it if you would join me.”
when asked to join someone with an ethereal beauty, several things should likely be asked. First One should ask whether or not a ghost could seem solid if they wanted to, and second if they can... is she asking you to die or just to talk and third, can ghosts lie if it is a ghost? Allison of course wouldn't expect any of those thoughts, she was just trying to answer the other girl properly.

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 am

((Make sure you look after yourself! /Hugs!))
Join her...? Anne really wasn't sure what to make of that idea. Her heart felt all a-flutter in her chest, still desiring her just to run but she stood her ground, looking at the strange woman, trying to figure out what to do or say.

The silence started to drag out as Anne stared, the moment stretching out and she found herself staring at the figure, lost in the moment.

With a start, she caught herself and her eyes re-focused, skin colouring with as a small blush coloured her skin, the moonlight showing the contrast clearly.

"I'm sorry, its just that... well... Join you doing what? I mean... What are you doing here?"

Anne hadn't quite rallied to the point where she knew what /she/ was doing here after all! The idea that she was talking with something not human was strange and she didn't quite know what to do about it. Even at this distance the moonight was reflecting through the figure in front of her still maing her seem almost transparent. It was a utterly strange effect.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Alison noticed the long quiet, and though she was curious decided it best not to pry into it. When Anne's question finally arrived though it took her a but a moment to realize she had no answer.
”Uhm... I hadn't thought that far ahead. I usually just wander lonely around the building. I hadn't considered what I might do with someone else.”

she shifted in place a little bit, the expression shifted some to quiet contemplation as she ran ideas about her head. For several quiet moments longer she did this before finally convinced that she really had nothing to offer as an option.
”If you have any suggestions I would be glad to take them to avoid another night completely alone.”
it was he only idea at the moment, and hoping someone else had an idea was always a bit of a shot in the dark. she brushed a bit of hair from her face as she waited for anything Anne might offer or ask.

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:21 pm

The motion was curiously human. But more than that, it shifted shadows directly across Annes eyes. She flinched away from the shadow as it crossed her eyes, her own reflexes getting the better of her. The motion and the shadow however made Anne look more carefully at the girl in front of her, picking up small things that she had missed, enthralled with the entire effect of the moonlight creature. Things like the detail on her clothes. The colour of her hair...

It was crazy, and Anne began to second guess herself, not quite sure which way to jump. Should she run? or stay?

Anne was by nature a quiet girl, much preferring her own company to that of others, but something about this lonely sprit did tug at her heartstrings and she found that just running and forgetting about the ghostly girl in the corridor was impossible, even without her own curiousity egging her on. (Although the mad side of that self-same curiousity was telling her to jump at the girl, scream boo and see if she could put a hand through her. None of which she had /any/ intention of doing!)

"Well... We could walk a while if you would like? Tell me about yourself?" Anne suggested, a little apprehensively.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Alison wasn't entirely paying attention to every little motion Anne made or the direction of the other girl's gaze. Instead her mind was more involved in the woman's voice. She held her hands in front of her woven neatly together a faint smile on her face from the suggestion that was made.
”Alright uhm...”
she paused for a moment as she considered what she should say. She wasn't use to talking about herself. After a few moments she decided to take a step or two down the hall.
”A walk would be wonderful. So about me huh, well I can start with the obvious, I almost never sleep and... it does get lonely more often than not. There's always a feeling of restlessness about me no matter what I try to do to get rid of it.”
she explained in a calm friendly tone now as she began to relax to the thought of having company tonight instead of the usual no one.
”what about you? Are you usually wandering out this late?
she couldn't remember if she'd asked before or not or what the girl's answer may have been, just talking about herself she thought would get boring quickly.

((so hard to get my mind running :oops: ))

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 am

((As ever - it's perfectly fine! - My mind coughs on occasion and I find a break can do a world of wonders :D))

As they moved it became apparent that the ghostly girl was no ghost. Once she moved away from the window she solidified in the gloom, the moonlight no longer shining though her clothes giving her that appearance. Anne was both relieved and a little dejected at this.

relieved because she wasn't entirely certain that walking around talking with a ghost was sensible, sane or particularly safe. But dejected that it seemed another path about finding the truth about her dreams was taken away.

"Why don't you sleep?" Anne asked, a little tactlessly, the dejection from having an avenue from finding out more about them making her a little more blunt than she should have been. Anne coloured however as the words left her mouth, embaressed. To attempt to apologise she moved on to answer the other question.

"I couldn't sleep either, although I normally don't have that kind of problem.." Anne trailed off again, feeling again really REALLY tactless. What had gotten into her?

"I'm sorry Alison. I don't know whats gotten into me" She said with a blush. "I'm normally asleep but i've been having bad dreams of late, and i was wondering if a walk would solve it"

It was half true, and she was wondering what the pale student would make of such a cryptic comment.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 am

Was completely unaware that Anne had even thought her a ghost of any sort so she continued to wander forward down the hall with the sweet seeming girl beside her. Her gaze drifted to the ceiling at Anne's question, she considered the best way to go about that for several long moments as Anne continued. Anne couldn't help but laugh a little at the color that had risen to the other girl's cheeks as she seemed to talk without completely thinking straight.
”It's alright Anne, It happens to the best of us.”

Her attempt to be comforting to the friendly, slightly jittery seeming girl whom was kind enough to be keeping her company.
”Now you asked why I don't sleep right? It's a condition I have, hyper immunity disorder H. they called me patient zero. I'm a case study. My body turns everything that it doesn't make itself into energy. Bacteria, medicine, viruses, food, drink, toxins, venoms, parasites, alcohol... I'm pretty much immune to everything. Consequence being I can only sleep if I actively force myself or I get ungodly bored, which sort of sucks.”

She would be as honest as possible about this, there was nothing to hide, so she was a little strange. It occurred to her though that Anne had mentioned something about bad dreams. She cocked her head to the side looking a bit concerned.
”Bad dreams? What sort of bad dreams? If you don't mind me asking of course... one of my double majors is in psych maybe I can help.”

Karayah; The Gray Queen

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm

“That’s horrible! Immune against everything?” Anne said, her green eyes wide. She imagined not being able to eat properly because it would just give her enormous energy highs. Constantly never being able to sleep unless you were starved and bored… It was.. well… horrible! “How do you cope without sleep? How can you still be s…”

Anne clamped her mouth shut. She was about to say “still be sane” but fortunately caught it before she was slapped. She was finding out just how badly she operated when tired and this early in the morning! There were most definitely better times to talk about someone elses problems it seemed. It was horrible, as Anne actually rather enjoyed listening to others, despite the hash she was making of this conversation.

Fortunately Alison gave her an out, even if, for a moment Anne thought about not answering the pale girl. Talking about her dreams? To someone that was a psych major? She would likely just call the men in white coats who would throw her into an asylum for a few years til they stopped. Sometimes, in that moment between sleep and wakefulness she through that perhaps that’s where she actually belonged! If half the things that she had experienced were actually true then it would be no small wonder that she was more than a little crazy! That thought almost brought a chuckle to her lips, as hadn’t she just been thinking the same about the pale girl by her side?

While dreams are dreams, sometimes a different perspective could be good. More importantly however, it would be good to shift subjects before she managed to put her foot in it again. She shifted the conversation to herself, something she rarely did but it was far preferable to continuing and ending up insulting Alison!

“I’m sorry Alison. I guess I’m no good this early in the morning. Give me a moment to wake up and i’ld love to know more about you! But I’m being terrible at the moment so… well… I’ll tell you about my dreams while I get a grip on myself! But just to forwarn you, I think they are crazy… But I keep having dreams where I’m here in this school and being chased by things that aren’t human in the slightest. And when they catch me they do…”

Anne looked away, not entirely certain she wanted to admit to someone else exactly what they did to her. But, she forced the words out before continuing.

“Well… They do sexual things. But Aliens, monsters, demons? Whatever you want to call them… I wake up, and for moments I believe that they are real. I’ve actually checked. Many of the places that my dreams have happened in exist, right down to the small details here in this school and I find it hard to pass them off as coincidence. But, why would have recurring dreams about being chased and sexually assaulted by things that don’t exist?”

As I spoke Anne felt a odd tightness in her chest, brought on by being afraid of what someone else would make of her “madness”. It was the first time I had spoken about them to anyone aside from the nurse, and that was a disaster. Anne hoped that this wouldn’t turn out to go as badly as that did.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next