View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Spectre, the thing from beyond (Adjusted). 

Post Spectre, the thing from beyond (Adjusted).
Modifications/Additions (11/21/07) in orange
Modifications/Additions (10/21/12) in yellow

Its true name is unpronounceable; its true form inconceivable. A being from beyond space and time, Spectre exists in this universe only through force of will. It manifests as a tall, gaunt humanoid figure wrapped head to toe in a full length cloak with a deep hood that completely obscures its features. Those looking under this hood, or inside the cloak, however, would find nothing. Quite literally nothing. The cloak itself is a rip in space and time, a mobile three dimensional hole bored into the fabric of existence to serve as a link to the Beyond. Spectre works its will through this breach, sending forth tendrils of nothingness to manipulate this realm.

A completely alien thing, Spectre’s motivations are generally inscrutable. It certainly wouldn’t deny it that it enjoys causing chaos and torment, but neither would it claim to dislike watching a person writhe in ecstacy. Perhaps that is why it is drawn to young earth women: to inflict both at the same time.

Holding open the link to this reality takes great effort, drastically limiting Spectre’s capabilities. Aside from its tentacles (and its voice - see below), it has no other way of affecting this universe: no magic, psychic powers or equipment of its own, but see below. It can extend any number of chaos tendrils to any place within the boundaries of its current location. For example, if it were in a dorm room, it could reach anywhere within that room, but not outside it. It cannot send a tentacle through even an open door or window, as that would be passing outside the bounds of the current location. Similarly, it it were in a sports field, it could reach anywhere within that field, but not in the sidelines or stands. In the case of such outside areas, its vertical range is limited only by the planet’s atmosphere. Space is, in effect, another location. These boundaries do not hinder the movement of Spectre’s manifestation, though. So, if it wants to reach outside a room, it has merely to move outside that room. Of course then it would no longer be able to reach back inside the room. Spectre’s tentacles are capable of ‘infecting’ non-living matter with chaos, causing an acceleration of entropy that obliterates said matter in seconds, turning it to dust which then melts away into nothing.

Spectre’s entire manifestation is capable of selectively passing through solid non-living matter, as are its tentacles - within the limits outlined above. It can also engulf a victim, pulling her into the cloak where it completely envelopes her with the chaotic nothingness from which it forms its tentacles. Specter’s manifestation does not eat, sleep, or breathe, and is immune to vacuum, extreme pressure, cold, heat and most other types of radiation.

Spectre’s voice is deep, resonating and seething. It originates from every part of the entity’s manifestation, including any chaos tendrils produced. The Voice is not really a sound, so it will reach the listener through any medium, even hard vacuum, though only those chosen by Spectre can hear it. Its range is not limited by the manifestation’s current physical location, but will extend only as far as an equivalent human voice. That being said, Spectre need not actually manifest to send its Voice to a given location. Once it does manifest, however, the Voice is tied to that manifestation.

The peculiarities of Spectre’s voice give it a very physical quality, washing over and through anyone allowed to ‘hear’ it. Spectre has great control over this effect, allowing it to focus the phenomenon to cause specific sensations, either physical (like pleasure or pain), or emotional (like fear or sorrow). This control is not perfect, however, so an experienced victim might well be able to shake off some of the effects.

Sometimes, instead of manifesting to directly affect reality, Spectre will pluck a creature from one existence and set it loose on another. Such creatures are rarely willing participants, however and tend to become upset about their sudden transplantation. This often leads to confrontations with the native life forms, thus fostering the chaos Spectre enjoys. Strangely, the creatures it chooses usually tend more toward sexual aggression than actual physical harm.

Some creatures, such as Deimos and Nebthraxus actually work with or for Spectre on a more or less consentual basis, thus granting it indirect access to their powers and abilities. It merely has to direct them to perform the required actions.

Aside from creatures, Spectre can also transplant objects from other realities. Since It can access the 'realities' of particularly strong dreams and delusions, these can be basically anything imaginable. It rarely uses such objects itself, however - instead using them as props and gifts to help set up the victims of its elaborate schemes.

Note: the terms tendrils and tentacles are used interchangeably above, and their description is deliberately vague. Their chaotic nature is such that they will look and feel differently to different individuals. Their strength is absolute, but not infinite; meaning that no outside force can move them, but they cant necessarily move very heavy objects or damage strong materials (except through chaos infection).

Last edited by Spectre on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 am

Interesting...Pretty original monster. Welcome, I think you'll do well here. ;)

Dendrite, irresistibly helpful tentacled alien! Message me to move your completed threads.

"You've got to be able to fuck when they can't."
--Jason Carter

As seen on Something Awful!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:34 pm

Very original concept, and an extremely well-written and balanced character. Kudos.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:20 am

Thanks, both of you. After I finished wititng the bio, I began to feel that it might have been a little too Lovecraft-ish. A being of madness from beyond space and time and such . . . But it seems that it's going to work out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my first post that this is my second character on this version of the board; my first (and primary) being Whisperer. Spectre is an outlet for some of my darker ideas.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:07 am

Just a bump to call attention to the update. ;)

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:09 am

Post Re: Spectre, the thing from beyond (Adjusted).
Edit 10/21/12

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:25 pm

What's wrong with Lovecraftian? ;)

Dendrite, irresistibly helpful tentacled alien! Message me to move your completed threads.

"You've got to be able to fuck when they can't."
--Jason Carter

As seen on Something Awful!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, nothing per se. My nervous disposition just always finds something to worry about whenever I post something (especially a profile). As usual, this particular worry was unfounded.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]